Latest news from HAL (Alaska, Canada/NE)

CruiseMGM

Latest news from the HAL blog, also posted on Facebook, here's the link:

Cruise Pause Extended to Include All Departures Sailing to or From a Canadian Port in 2021 - Holland America Blog

And the text:

As Holland America Line continues to review and assess its plans around the Canadian Transport Ministry’s Interim Order that closed Canadian ports and waters to passenger vessels, the company is extending its pause of cruise operations to now include all sailings that depart from or conclude in a Canadian port in 2021. This will include several Alaska, three Canada/New England and two Pacific Coastal cruises in summer and fall of this year. It also includes all Land+Sea Journeys.

At this time, Alaska cruises departing from mid-May and sailing roundtrip from Seattle, Washington, are not being canceled. Discussions are underway with Canadian and United States government authorities to try to find a path forward to preserve these sailings. As more information is known, an announcement will be made. Guests on impacted Alaska cruises and Land+Sea Journeys involving a Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, gateway may not move to roundtrip Seattle cruises at this time, as these departures are not open for sale pending further announcements.

“Holland America Line, in alliance with our entire industry, is optimistic for the resumption of cruising around North America and worldwide,” said Gus Antorcha, president of Holland America Line. “However, we must be practical in our approach by acknowledging the limitations put in place by the current Canadian order that requires us to cancel select sailings. We thank our guests for their patience and understanding and know that they, like us, are eager to see cruising begin again soon.”

Cruises impacted by this pause in operation are:

· Alaska: Cruises through September 2021 to Alaska from all departure ports aboard Koningsdam, Nieuw Amsterdam, Noordam and Zuiderdam. This also includes any Land+Sea Journeys connected with canceled Alaska sailings.

· Pacific Coastal: Two sailings in early October aboard Koningsdam and Oosterdam.

· Canada/New England: Three cruises aboard Zaandam departing in September 2021.

All 2022 Alaska and Canada/New England cruises will operate as scheduled. The Canadian Interim Order expires Feb. 28, 2022.

Holland America Line is closely following the protocol set forth by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and is preparing ships and implementing procedures to meet all requirements for approval to sail at the appropriate time.

Guests Automatically Rebooked in 2022 on Similar Cruise
Holland America Line is notifying guests and their travel advisors of their options. Guests on Alaska and Canada/New England canceled departures that are paid in full automatically will be rebooked on an equivalent cruise or Land+Sea Journey in 2022 at the fare paid for 2021 – with all cash and FCC funds moved to the new booking. No other action is needed when accepting the rebooked itinerary. Replacement 2022 booking confirmations will be automatically sent within 30 days of this announcement.

All guests receive the following options:

Paid in Full: Those who have paid in full will be automatically rebooked to the same cruise or Land+Sea Journey in 2022 at the fare paid for 2021.

Not Paid in Full: Those with bookings not paid in full may elect to be moved to the same cruise type or Land+Sea Journey in 2022 at the fare paid for 2021.

If guests decide not to accept a cruise booking in 2022 by March 31, 2021, they automatically default to receive an FCC of 110% of any cash paid on the booking. The minimum FCC is $25 and the maximum will be an amount up to the base cruise fare paid. Guests will retain any other FCC used for the canceled 2021 booking with all FCC amounts moved to their loyalty account for use on a future cruise booking. For all bookings in 2022, standard cancellation policies will apply.

Due to the fact that there are no equivalent cruises in 2022, Pacific Coastal cruise guests will receive the option for an FCC or full refund.

Full Refund Option Also Available
Guests who prefer a 100% refund of monies paid to Holland America Line can visit the Cancellation Preferences Form to indicate their preference no later than March 31, 2021.

The FCC is valid for sailings departing through Dec. 31, 2022. Noncruise fare purchases — such as shore excursions, air fares, gifts, dining and spa — will be transferred to a new booking or automatically refunded via the method of payment used to purchase the services to the original form of payment.

The above options are not applicable to guests booked on a charter sailing. Other booking and cancellation conditions and policies may apply if the cruise was not booked through Holland America Line. See the terms and conditions in the Cancellation Preferences Form for all details.

Holland America Line previously paused global cruise operations and canceled all departures on all ships through April 30, 2021, as well as Alaska cruises through mid-May or early June, Mediterranean cruises through early June and Canada/New England itineraries through August.

Edited by CruiseMGM

1 minute ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

We all knew that was coming.

I don't know, Gail and Marty, I kinda figured it was an all or nothing thing. The fact that they're keeping the Seattle r/t's up in the air right now was news to us. {{waving 😀, hope you're both doing well!!}}

Best wishes

1 minute ago, madera1 said:

I am glad they made the decision this far out. Ours is paid in full. Wonder if they will put us in same cabin if they have automatically moved our booking to a 2022 sailing?

They already have folks booked on the 2022 cruises, so it will be interesting to see how they do this.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, madera1 said:

I am glad they made the decision this far out. Ours is paid in full. Wonder if they will put us in same cabin if they have automatically moved our booking to a 2022 sailing?

I am sure they will do the best they can.

They haven’t thrown in the towel yet on cruises out of Seattle which is understandable.  I still think it’s doubtful as three things need to happen 1.  They need some kind of special permission/waiver to not stop in a foreign port, 2.  They need their ships certified under the CDC Conditional Sail Order and 3. Don’t forget that pesky environmental issue that still has to be resolved .  That’s a lot to accomplish before September.

• Like 3

Discussions are underway with Canadian and United States government authorities to try to find a path forward to preserve these sailings.  

This line from the announcement means they're currently negotiations ongoing between US & Canada to let ships sail RT from Seattle via the inside passage. 

There is tremendous pressure coming from Congressional delegations of Alaska and Washington St. As well as State and local officials from these areas to salvage some of the 2021 Alaska season. No stop in Victoria on the way back, but that's fine with me.

-Paul

Edited by kangforpres
  • Like 1

https://www.king5.com/article/news/local/seattle/seattles-cruise-industry-braces-for-devastating-loss-after-canada-cruise-ship-ban-is-extended/281-f5a6b028-e56c-458f-bff0-c3959488764f

This is why I think if at all possible and the CDC approves there will be an Alaska Season from Seattle in 2021. State and local governments will need billions of dollars in Covid-19 relief funds if there is no season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, madera1 said:

Don’t bet on it.  I got moved for our sailing and don’t have the same cabin.  

I hope it is the same ship and they do it for you 🤞 

35 minutes ago, tvman18 said:

Just went to the web site and going to request a refund. Followed the directions, I was not given the refund option. Only reply I got was that I have been rescheduled for 2022. Cant go then, I want the refund.

Call them.  I had a similar situation for the VOV in 2021.  They wanted to automatically rebook me but they did give me the option of an increased FCC, a refund or rebook.  

7 minutes ago, vedettes1 said:

I don't know the details of the PVSA, but could the problem be resolved by docking in Victoria but not allowing anyone to board or leave the ship? That could at least deal with Canada's objections.

Technically, the stop in Victoria would satisfy the PVSA but the US CBP has previously interpreted these sort of stops as being insufficient to meet the intent of the law (passengers need to be able to get off and on the ship for a real port visit).  As for dealing with Canada’s ‘objections’, there aren’t any.  Simply put, no passenger vessels above a certain size in Canadian waters; this reduces the potential for problems.

7 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

As for dealing with Canada’s ‘objections’, there aren’t any.  Simply put, no passenger vessels above a certain size in Canadian waters; this reduces the potential for problems.

Huh?  Does Canada govt think that Covid is transmitted to shore through the air from a moving ship?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, vedettes1 said:

Huh?  Does Canada govt think that Covid is transmitted to shore through the air from a moving ship?

Apparently, you don’t know the details of anything related to the topic(s) at hand.  Happy cruising to you...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I received the email about 4 hours ago. Since I saw this on the horizon I booked 2 more cruises, one in December 2021 and one in October 2022. And now I am so happy that I did. I’m not opting for the replacement cruise because I found a better itinerary. 

I just booked Oct 2022 myself.  I sure hope we've not seeing letters like this a year from now!

• Like 2

Related to this topic here is the press release from CLIA concerning the Canadian ban.  Obviously whatever lobbying that may take place will be at the industry level

https://cruising.org/en/news-and-research/press-room/2021/february/cruise-industry-responds-to-one-year-extension-of-prohibition-on-cruise-in-canada

44 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Technically, the stop in Victoria would satisfy the PVSA but the US CBP has previously interpreted these sort of stops as being insufficient to meet the intent of the law (passengers need to be able to get off and on the ship for a real port visit).  As for dealing with Canada’s ‘objections’, there aren’t any.  Simply put, no passenger vessels above a certain size in Canadian waters; this reduces the potential for problems.

This is correct, a "technical stop" does not satisfy the CBP definition of a "foreign voyage", so that is one strike against it.

34 minutes ago, vedettes1 said:

For those who don't know, when a ship wants to enter a country's waters, say Canada, to stop for any reason, and "stopping" means docking, anchoring, or "hovering" in dynamic stationing, that ship has to request "clearance" to enter Canadian waters.  That clearance is what is not being granted, so the ship cannot even enter Canadian waters.  Why?  Because once you grant them clearance into your waters, there is no guarantee that they will abide by any rules or regulations, and could stage tender tours, etc, in violation of covid restrictions.  So, they simply don't allow the ship the opportunity to even enter their waters for any reason.

2 hours ago, YXU AC*SE said:

@kangforpres, no negotiations needed, the Inside Passage has always been excluded from the Interim Ministerial Order. This is a PVSA issue to be remediated.  (You must be really jonesing for this cruise LOL)     Scott 

image.thumb.png.3da97a2924db1d6762559335d09c5aa2.png

A "free navigational passage" is always allowed within maritime law.  For instance, the outbound traffic lane in the Straits of Juan de Fuca coming out of Seattle, are in Canadian waters, but as long as the ship does not stop, it is allowed free navigation.  The mention of  mooring, berth, or anchoring is for emergency cases, as these would be "incidental" to the passage.  A planned anchoring, for the purpose of a technical port stop, would not be "incidental".

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vedettes1 said:

I don't know the details of the PVSA, but could the problem be resolved by docking in Victoria but not allowing anyone to board or leave the ship? That could at least deal with Canada's objections.

To my understanding, the US has asked this of Canada also called a "Technical Stop" and Canada has said NO! My TA told be this morning the US countered with OK, how about just mooring in a Canadian harbor? Canada again said NO! So as much as I love Canada and always respected it as a Nation State I think they are being a little over zealous and down right petty about this.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, kangforpres said:

To my understanding, the US has asked this of Canada also called a "Technical Stop" and Canada has said NO! My TA told be this morning the US countered with OK, how about just mooring in a Canadian harbor? Canada again said NO! So as much as I love Canada and always respected it as a Nation State I think they are being a little over zealous and down right petty about this.

Is your TA on Rigel VII?

• Haha 1