Princess Cancels Alaska, Canada & New England and Pacific Coastal Sailings in 2021

LACruiser88

Hot off the Press...

February 24, 2021 1:05 PM EST
Princess Cruises Extends Pause of Guest Cruise Vacations to Select Alaska, Canada & New England and Pacific Coastal Sailings in 2021

SANTA CLARITA, Calif., Feb. 24, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- As Princess Cruises continues to review and assess its operations as a result of the Canadian Transport Ministry's Interim Order that extends the closure of Canadian ports and waters to passenger vessels, the company has found it necessary to cancel the following voyages:

• Alaska seven-day Voyage of the Glaciers cruises, sailing between Vancouver, B.C. and Anchorage (Whittier)
  • Pacific Coastals that start or end in Vancouver, B.C.
  • Canadian Adventure sailing roundtrip from Southampton, UK
  • Thanks 1

Additional from press release...

Princess is engaged with various United States and Canadian government officials to try to preserve a portion of the Alaska and Canada & New England 2021 cruise seasons. In the meantime, Princess has committed to operating the Kenai Princess Wilderness lodge along with McKinley Chalet Resort in Denali and Westmark Fairbanks Hotel this summer and is currently working on vacation land package details that will be announced shortly.

• Like 1

Princess is holding out some hope for an Alaskan season that doesn't involve Canada. Lots of obstacles to conquer but they must have some view to a non-Canadian solution. I guess not all the doors have yet been slammed in their face.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, beg3yrs said:

Princess is holding out some hope for an Alaskan season that doesn't involve Canada. Lots of obstacles to conquer but they must have some view to a non-Canadian solution. I guess not all the doors have yet been slammed in their face.

Our Seattle round trip itinerary does have one Canadian port (Victoria) so curious to see how they will handle that situation.  If it somehow goes, I will be happy.  If not, won't be the first time my Alaska cruise has been cancelled.

• Like 1

We have three cruises that fall under this press release but only one is actually listed as being canceled--That  being a 7 day coastal from Vancouver to LA. I actually got an email from Princess today with the cancellation notice.  What I find interesting is We are booked on a three day cruise from LA to Vancouver which was to have gotten us to Vancouver one day before the above canceled cruise and we are booked for a hotel in Vancouver for that one night. I cannot believe that they will not cancel the three day one as well??? Secondly, we have an Alaska cruise leaving from Seattle in June, with stop in BC and it has not been canceled either. Maybe Princess is still trying to figure out a way to get around Passenger Service Act or maybe make it a cruise to Ensenada??  The more I hear the less I know 🙂

Certainly this was anticipated due to the restrictions by Canada and the USA not waiving the PVSA requirements.

The bonus FCC continues to be reduced & is 10% for this pause.

Here’s some information about the procedure based on those who have paid in full (booking moved to 2022) and for those not paid in full.

Guest who paid in full
Princess will automatically rebook them to the same cruise or cruisetour in 2022. No action is required from guests or their travel advisor. The rebooking process will have the added benefit of protecting the guests’ 2021 fare on their 2022 cruise.
Once Princess has completed the booking transfer, and in cases where the guest is not able to take a cruise with us in 2022, they will have an opportunity to choose an alternative option from Future Cruise Credit (FCC) equivalent to 100% of the cruise fare paid plus an additional non-refundable bonus FCC equal to 10% of the cruise fare paid (minimum $25 USD) or a full refund to the original form of payment.
The refund option is for bookings paid with cash on an impacted 2021 voyage. If the booking was paid with FCCs, the FCCs will be returned to the guest's profile for later use. The guest will have 30 days from the new booking confirmation date to advise of their choice via web form link to be provided later. Please also see options below for moving to a different sailing.

Guests not paid in full
Princess will automatically process a refundable Future Cruise Credit (FCC) equivalent to 100% of the cruise fare paid plus an additional non-refundable bonus FCC equal to 10% of the cruise fare paid (minimum $25 USD). FCCs can be used on any cruises booked by and sailing by December 31, 2022. Alternatively, guests can request a full refund for all monies paid on their booking through this online form (https://www.princess.com/pcl/) by March 31, 2021.

They extended their Book with Confidence policy to 10/31/21.

We don't think finances should affect decisions about your health, so if you feel ill and need to change your plans, we'll protect your cruise investment. Under our temporary Book with Confidence policy, we’ve taken the worry out of booking your next cruise:

• Cancel up to 30 days before you sail, and get your cancellation fees back as a Future Cruise Credit1.
    • Applies to bookings made through April 30, 2021.
    • Applies to voyages departing through October 31, 2021.
  • Final Payment has been moved to 60-days prior to sailing.
    • Applies to voyages departing through June 30, 2021.

4 minutes ago, richmke said:

2019 Cruise cancelled, and took 100% FCC bonus and booked 2020 Cruise. 2020 Cruise now cancelled.

Is the 10% bonus on the original 2019 Cruise deposit, or the 2020 Cruise deposit which includes 100% FCC Bonus?

neither, unless you put in additional "new" money

55 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Guest who paid in full
Princess will automatically rebook them to the same cruise or cruisetour in 2022. No action is required from guests or their travel advisor. The rebooking process will have the added benefit of protecting the guests’ 2021 fare on their 2022 cruise.

Finally, price protecting a cancelled cruise which is rebooked.

It is a shame that they are not price protecting those who have not paid in full as I expect that relatively few people have paid in full before they reached final payment date.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, rwdw said:

I just received my email from Princess on my June 5th sailing being canceled. I checked and as of yet there no new booking for 2022.

Based on their statements changes will be automatically done but don’t see how quickly changes will be viewable. This document in Excel shows the Grand’s 6/5/21 (A118N) cruise being replaced with the Sapphire’s 6/4/22 (H218).

https://static.cdn.responsys.net/i2/responsysimages/content/princessus/2021_to_2022_PCL_Voyage_and_Cruisetour_Mapping.xlsx?cid=brand_email_info_internal_newsletter_agentnews_SE1MS013_210224_&eccn=&rrid=00188501&mi_u=00188501

27 minutes ago, caribill said:

Finally, price protecting a cancelled cruise which is rebooked.

It is a shame that they are not price protecting those who have not paid in full as I expect that relatively few people have paid in full before they reached final payment date.

I think that price protection for canceled cruises is long overdue & that it should also cover those with deposits because 2022 Alaskan cruise fares will likely increase considerably. Agree that unfortunately the guarantee will likely only benefit a small minority of passengers who have made final payment 90 days in advance which would be for cruises in early May 2021.

I don’t know what the previous Book with Confidence date was for a 60 day final payment but currently it shows valid for cruises departing through 6/30/21. If the 60 days applied to the May cruises final payment date it wouldn’t be due until early March. Thus it’s possible that only a few people who paid early before final payment date would be eligible to transfer to 2022 at the same price.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Our July 2021 Northbound Alaska cruise was cancelled (which had been paid for by FCC) today.  Boy, oh boy—we’ve had a number of cruises cancelled resulting in the booking of four new cruises that were completely paid for.  Now two of those have been cancelled so we’re on the fourth rebooking from our original payment!  The first cancelled trip was a connoisseur land/cruise tour which was a lot of $$$ which has only grown due to all of the added FCC!  Now the game is to book as many cruises as we can from our original payment!

Already booked a 2022 Alaskan cruise so will start looking at other destinations.  Our California Coastal out of SF in October 2021 hasn’t been cancelled yet...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, disneyochem said:

Our July 2021 Northbound Alaska cruise was cancelled (which had been paid for by FCC) today.  Boy, oh boy—we’ve had a number of cruises cancelled resulting in the booking of four new cruises that were completely paid for.  Now two of those have been cancelled so we’re on the fourth rebooking from our original payment!  The first cancelled trip was a connoisseur land/cruise tour which was a lot of $$$ which has only grown due to all of the added FCC!  Now the game is to book as many cruises as we can from our original payment!

Already booked a 2022 Alaskan cruise so will start looking at other destinations.  Our California Coastal out of SF in October 2021 hasn’t been cancelled yet...

I have a feeling that when the green light comes, there will be a mad rush of bookings driving prices up

• Like 1

Our Canada/New England cruise has not been cancelled yet. Sept 11.2021 From NYC maybe they can go to their private island then back up to New England. That would satisfy the Jones Act I would think. Or I guess New England then private island then back to NY.

Laura

1 hour ago, Laurab23 said:

Our Canada/New England cruise has not been cancelled yet. Sept 11.2021 From NYC maybe they can go to their private island then back up to New England. That would satisfy the Jones Act I would think. Or I guess New England then private island then back to NY.

Laura

That would not meet the CDC restriction of no cruises longer than 7 days if USA ports are involved until at least November.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Italy52 said:

Our Seattle round trip itinerary does have one Canadian port (Victoria) so curious to see how they will handle that situation.  If it somehow goes, I will be happy.  If not, won't be the first time my Alaska cruise has been cancelled.

The likelihood of cruises out of the Port of Seattle for 2021 is zero. Not going to happen.

10 hours ago, nooptere said:

The likelihood of cruises out of the Port of Seattle for 2021 is zero. Not going to happen.

Seems that the staff at Princess would disagree with your opinion. The likelihood may be low but not so low that Princess felt it was necessary to cancel the Seattle-based cruises ... yet.

I'm pretty sure they've got much more information than we do at this time.