Sharing a table

Heather White

We have done seven or eight Seabourn cruises and one of the great pleasures has been meeting other people. We accept invitations to hosted tables and often opt to share a table at dinner. We are cautiosly thinking about booking a cruise later in the year. Will we still have this option, I wonder?

Probably not.  You will most likely have to stay within your “bubble”.  Who really knows though.  Crystal has said that you must be fully vaccinated at least two weeks prior to boarding.  Seabourn has not said this yet and if they require a vaccine that may effect onboard actions.

10 hours ago, Heather White said:

We have done seven or eight Seabourn cruises and one of the great pleasures has been meeting other people. We accept invitations to hosted tables and often opt to share a table at dinner. We are cautiosly thinking about booking a cruise later in the year. Will we still have this option, I wonder?

Have met many interesting and friendly people during breakfast, lunch, and dinner during my cruises.  They help to add a bit of "spice" to my cruising experience.  As a solo cruiser, if I have to dine alone, that will discourage me from booking another cruise.  

Can one imagine sitting at a bar in a lounge trying to converse with another guest 2-3 seats away from you?  

• Like 1

This is of great concern to us and thus we have not booked anything in 2021 or 2022 on Seabourn.  The conviviality on Seabourn ships is one of the great attractions for us.  Because of the open seating in all dining areas, we love being able to assemble an impromptu group for a dinner or lunch, or make a same-day date with another couple.  If that were not possible, I think we would skip Seabourn, except for maybe a short TA.

• Like 1

I hope that, in the coming months as vaccines become more widely distributed - and available to wealthier countries and the privileged Seabourn guest profile - Seabourn will require that all guests and crew - and others such as contractors and port staff who need to board the ship at various ports - be fully vaccinated and tested prior to sailing, with additional regular testing conducted on board.

(There will also be restrictions on how to visit ports, of course.  Those restrictions will probably depend on the local laws and pandemic situation.)

Under that scenario, equivalent to having achieved herd immunity, we should be able to socialize again on board.

In any case, so much is still unknown and evolving at this stage, it may be entertaining (or alarming) but ultimately unproductive to spend too much time and energy in guessing at the moment.

Edited by sfvoyage
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, sfvoyage said:

Under that scenario, equivalent to having achieved herd immunity, we should be able to socialize again on board.

Agree.  However, if there is a requirement to wear a mask when "out and about" on the ship:  NO.  I won't be making a booking.

2 hours ago, sfvoyage said:

In any case, so much is still unknown and evolving at this stage

Surely very true, but discussing these "unknowns" and learning what others think have been--and are--helpful to me.