Nieuw Statendam Deck 1 OV. Window or Porthole?

Envelope21

I am considering an OV cabin on Nieuw Statendam. Presently the only ones available are on deck 1. I don't mind the low deck so much, but I'm concerned the window will be either a porthole or reduced in size. My TA said she contacted HAL and HAL told her that ship has no porthole windows. Can anyone reassure me on this?

Also, I'm wondering if I might do just as well picking a Guarantee cabin, considering I don't know if it can get much worse than an OV on deck 1. The cruise isn't until July 2022 and there is sure to be a lot of cancellations between now and then.

The windows will be regular full size( not floor to ceiling). There are 5 staterooms right beside the atrium that are bigger than the rest. We've sailed in ocean view on NS and were happy with the cabin.

Edited by OVgirl

There are no porthole windows on the Pinnacle class ships, so your TA & HAL are correct.  I'd never risk a guarantee, as you are likely to get a lovely stateroom underneath either BB Kings or Rolling Stone Rock Room (very LOUD)!  I enjoy the music venues, but when I enter my stateroom I expect it to be quiet, and choose the location accordingly!

Sue/WDW1972

Thank you to all who responded. My TA has since found an OV on deck 4 that has a floor-to-ceiling window. Looking at the deck plan, it looks like it is close to a life boat, but not blocking  more than 20 % of the view. The room is E4039. I feel pretty encouraged about this. The room was actually cheaper than the other OV on deck 1. So ... i went for it! : )

I know what you mean about booking a GTY room. We have done it a few times in the past and managed to get away with it not being a major disappointment. But on a long cruise, you're right, its a pretty big risk!

3 hours ago, Envelope21 said:

Thank you to all who responded. My TA has since found an OV on deck 4 that has a floor-to-ceiling window. Looking at the deck plan, it looks like it is close to a life boat, but not blocking  more than 20 % of the view. The room is E4039. I feel pretty encouraged about this. The room was actually cheaper than the other OV on deck 1. So ... i went for it! : )

I know what you mean about booking a GTY room. We have done it a few times in the past and managed to get away with it not being a major disappointment. But on a long cruise, you're right, its a pretty big risk!

I think you have a winner.  While that room is not on halfacts, a nearby balcony room (4045 on the twin Koningsdam is, and the photos show the top of the lifeboats barely coming up to the floor of the room:

https://halfacts.com/pinnacle-class/4045-koningsdam/

Roy

5 hours ago, Envelope21 said:

I think a friend of mine had that stateroom on our last Nieuw Statendam cruise and other than a leak of some sort (causing a wet carpet), she really liked the stateroom - and said it was quiet.  I was on the other side of the ship on deck 4, in a verandah stateroom close to the forward stairwells and I could hear every rehearsal & show in the World Stage.  I wouldn't book my location again, but she's booked in hers for our upcoming Rotterdam cruise.

Sue/WDW1972

18 hours ago, Envelope21 said:

I didn't realize that the Pinnacle class ships had Ocean view state rooms with floor to ceiling windows. I see that there are a couple of ocean views on deck 4.

Edited by OVgirl

Thanks again everyone. I'm pretty excited about this pick. We have booked 'obstructed view" balcony cabins a few times and found them to be perfectly fine. The floor to ceiling window would be a close second! Looks like we'll be able to see some of the lifeboat near by, but not completely.

This cruise is actually a "Plan B' cruise. We are booked on an NCL ship for this August that goes to Norway and Iceland. Still not completely sure that cruise will actually happen so we decided to go ahead and book another one for 2022 just in case. We are also a little hesitant about the idea of cruise lines restricting port visits to ship-sponsored excursions only. While we have done that from time to time, it is not our favorite way to visit a port. 

Thanks again for all who commented. This is our first time trying HAL.

Edited by Envelope21