Progreso or Costa Maya w/ toddler

jlacy1987

We are thinking of cruising on the Carnival Valor in January 2022 with our then 2 year old daughter and my 13 year old stepson. We have 2 cruise options, one ports at Progreso and Cozumel, the other at Costa Maya and Cozumel. On paper, Costa Maya seems the better choice but it is in port from 1pm-10pm, less than ideal with a 2 year old. The Progreso option is in port from 9am-5pm (perfect for our 2 year old). Would you choose the option that gives more time in the port (8 hours in Progreso) or the nicer port with less time spent in the port (5-6 hours tops in Costa Maya)?

We like things like ruins but I know both kids would love beach time. 

We went to Costa Maya with a 3 year old and really loved our tour with Native choice.  I'm including our review below, but please note that with covid I honestly have no idea how much things have changed for vendors who depended upon tourism.

Our three year old son greatly enjoyed this excursion. The Native Choice literature correctly states that this tour would be better appreciated by children above the age of six, but toddlers would greatly enjoy exploring the interesting Chacchoben ruins. The grounds of the ruins are generally flat, which makes it fairly easy for parents with strollers or guests in wheelchairs to access the ruins.  It is a 50 minute drive from the port to the ruins.

After the ruins, we got to watch the Mayan grandmothers cook a delicious authentic meal and my 3 year old loved helping cook.  This was the tour we selected:  https://www.thenativechoice.com/tours/mayan-experience-tour

According to Google Maps (which may not be 100% accurate), the Native Choice office is located 700 meters or .43 miles from the port. This is probably not a difficult walk for most visitors, particularly since there is a trolly available to take guests down the pier and there is a taxi stop at the exit of the pier. We had a difficult time with the walk, since we missed the trolley (and our 3 year old would have had a meltdown if we waited for the trolley after having to wait to disembark our cruise ship) and there were no taxis available when we exited the pier. This is a fairly challenging walk in the heat if you are carrying a lot of things to keep a toddler happy. The Native Choice does a really outstanding job with their Mayan experience tour, but for families and travelers with disabilities I wish it was a bit easier to access their office. But most visitors will be able to reach the office fairly easily, and this is an extremely enjoyable and highly educational tour for all.

We went to Costa Maya when our youngest was 4.  We went to Maya Chan and enjoyed a day at the beach.  The kids loved the beach, they provided beach toys, and I took them out on a kayak.  The food and service were exceptional.  You get your own cabana or chair area.  Check them out if this is the route you decide to take.  I believe they have added a pool to their area if your children would rather use that than the ocean.

• 1 month later...
On 3/2/2021 at 12:49 PM, jlacy1987 said:

Thank you both! Yes, we decided to go with Costa Maya. I'm a little nervous as we are there from 1pm-10pm vs during the earlier part of the day but we'll make the most of it.

the port itself is very nice and offers lots to see (dolphins, a pool, flamingoes, shops). Plus, your kid will be down to one nap at 2, so hopefully, she'll get her nap before you are ready to go off the ship.

We usually do beach time with our kid. We like Blue Kay beach bar area in Costa Maya- it's very low key, rustic, not AI (we don't care for AI at all), and you need to bring your own sand toys/floatation devices, which we do. 

I am sure you are going to check out the Destinations boards for more info on the beaches and all.

• Like 1