Any New info on the Discovery's progress?

Jemnibabe

Just looking for any recent information on the Discovery and wondering if it will be finished by the end of 2021?  If it is, what kind of route will it take to the west coast of US?  Thanks for any thoughts or information

Judy from SW Florida

16 minutes ago, Jemnibabe said:

Just looking for any recent information on the Discovery and wondering if it will be finished by the end of 2021?  If it is, what kind of route will it take to the west coast of US?  Thanks for any thoughts or information

Judy from SW Florida

In a just completed webinar with their VP of sales they have no further updates on Discovery Princess.

Late 2021 cruises were canceled & the first Discovery cruise is now scheduled from LA on 3/1/22. Unless they decide to add a cruise between Europe & LA the ship would sail with crew only to LA & likely transit the Panama Canal. Since the CDC hasn’t stated their requirements to resume cruising for USA ports that might also affect the Discovery’s cruises.

Many more questions than answers at this time.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

Unless they decide to add a cruise between Europe & LA the ship would sail with crew only to LA & likely transit the Panama Canal.

Just adding something else I'd read (possibly here, so it's not the most trustworthy speculation), but Discovery could also transit the Suez Canal and arrive in LA via the Pacific. I don't think the Panama Canal would ever allow a Royal-class ship through. Carnival's Panorama also made the full Cape Horn trek. We'll see what happens.

41 minutes ago, snoozecrooze said:

Just adding something else I'd read (possibly here, so it's not the most trustworthy speculation), but Discovery could also transit the Suez Canal and arrive in LA via the Pacific. I don't think the Panama Canal would ever allow a Royal-class ship through. Carnival's Panorama also made the full Cape Horn trek. We'll see what happens.

31 minutes ago, skynight said:

I believe I heard that it isn't the size of the ship but that the current royal class ships do not fit under the Bridge of the Americas. 

Enchanted’s beam & draught (couldn’t find Discovery’s stats) show meeting the PC’s limits & is 118 feet shorter than the maximum allowable 1200’ limit. Although have read posts speculating about not fitting under that bridge. I’ve also read posts about the Suez option to cross the Pacific or even around Cape Horn.

In a 2015 article it was stated that RCI Oasis class ships were too tall (236’ above the waterline) to fit under the Bridge of the Americas but cannot find the height for Royal class ships.

https://www.travelpulse.com/news/cruise/will-the-expanded-panama-canal-accept-mega-cruise-ships.html

Whatever route the Discovery sails between Italy & LA hopefully it arrives in time for our late March 2022 B2B 7-day cruises. 🤞 And that we won’t need to cancel one of our B2B cruises like we had to do this Spring due to CDC restrictions.

Edited by Astro Flyer