When Will 2023 WC Segments be Available for Booking?

jimdee3636

The 2023 HAL world cruise, on the Zaandam, opened up for booking several weeks ago and has apparently generated a lot of interest and deposits. (The CC roll call for that cruise is extremely active, and of course not everyone who books a world cruise is a CC "regular"). Although segments have not yet been announced, I would think that the final segment would be a 22-night one from Amsterdam to Fort Lauderdale by way of Denmark, Norway, Scotland, Ireland, and Ponta Delgada---an itinerary and time of year (late April/ early May) that would interest me greatly. I've never done a WC segment before (on any line), and I'm wondering when they're usually announced. I would think that a cruise line would hold off until they're convinced that they've sold as many "total" WC cabins as they're likely to, but when is that? 18 months before sailing? 12 months? Any insights from past WC guests would be appreciated.

• Like 1

When I took the final two segments in 2019, I was able to book them in June a previous year, which is as soon as they opened up. 
That year the final segment also started in Amsterdam, with some ports in northern Europe. Great final segment for the cruise. 
Be aware that your cabin will be a guarantee. 

Hope you can get a booking, and enjoy it very much. 

The segment break points for 2023 are Sydney, Capetown, and Amsterdam. Although you can’t book them yet, you can find them on the HAL website. Go to search, choose Grand Voyages and World. When the page comes up go to filters. In Filters, scroll down to Inactive at the very bottom and choose that. The segments will all come up, just without pricing or the ability to book. Have your TA get you on the waitlist for the segment you like. When the time comes, they get offered based on where you are on the waitlist, so the sooner the better!

2 hours ago, RuthC said:

When I took the final two segments in 2019, I was able to book them in June a previous year, which is as soon as they opened up. 
That year the final segment also started in Amsterdam, with some ports in northern Europe. Great final segment for the cruise. 

33 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

The segment break points for 2023 are Sydney, Capetown, and Amsterdam. Although you can’t book them yet, you can find them on the HAL website. Go to search, choose Grand Voyages and World. When the page comes up go to filters. In Filters, scroll down to Inactive at the very bottom and choose that. The segments will all come up, just without pricing or the ability to book. Have your TA get you on the waitlist for the segment you like. When the time comes, they get offered based on where you are on the waitlist, so the sooner the better!

Thanks to both of you for this helpful information. I will ask my TA to put me on the waitlist. However, if Ruth is correct about the guarantee cabin, that would be a problem for me. I'm a nut about studying deck plans, and I need to know in advance where my cabin is located.

18 minutes ago, jimdee3636 said:

Thanks to both of you for this helpful information. I will ask my TA to put me on the waitlist. However, if Ruth is correct about the guarantee cabin, that would be a problem for me. I'm a nut about studying deck plans, and I need to know in advance where my cabin is located.

Indeed, Ruth is correct about the guarantee cabin. You can only get what cabins opens up for the segment. You let them know what room categories you’re  willing to take. However, if there’s a variety of cabins in that category when it’s your turn, just maybe you could choose between them.

4 hours ago, RuthC said:

Ruth,  I think you are a solo traveller...so am I.  Were the segments a 60% solo supplement the same as the complete voyage?  Most other HAL cruises are 79% or more.   

10 hours ago, Red Haired Lady said:

Ruth,  I think you are a solo traveller...so am I.  Were the segments a 60% solo supplement the same as the complete voyage?  Most other HAL cruises are 79% or more.   

Yes, I've been traveling solo since my husband died, so many cruises ago. 

Sorry, I don't remember what the single supplement was.
I knew I wanted to take the final segment of that particular World Cruise, it wasn't long enough for me, so I added the previous segment, too. The price was agreeable to me, so I didn't even try to figure out what the PPDO, or the %-age increase for this solo was. I just paid it. 
Sometimes it's better not to know certain things. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Thank you for telling how to find the segments.  I would never have figured this out.  I'm interested in segment #3.

• Like 1