The Daily for Friday Feb 26, 2021

richwmn

Today is Carnival Day, National Pistachio Day, and Purim

The monotony and solitude of a quiet life stimulates the creative mind. - Albert Einstein

Meal suggestion for today - Grandma's Swedish Meatballs

Drink of the Day - Pear Cobbler

Wine of the day - DFJ Vinhos 2017 Aluado Reserva Alicante Bouschet (Lisboa) Portugal

At Sea Pacific
Zuiderdam Destination Long Beach eta 3/3
Westerdam Baja

Brest FR
Eurodam

La Paz MX
Nieuw Amsterdam Anchorage
Noordam Anchorage

Los Angeles
Koningsdam

Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

Torquay UK
Zaandam Anchorage
Volendam Anchorage
Oosterdam Anchorage

0226World.thumb.png.edab9df7b4355685bb18d1e396fee2b5.png

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 5

Good morning, everyone.  

Here's to another great day.   I love pistachios.

Today's meal gets mixed reviews.   Many don't like it because it doesn't have nutmeg in the recipe and it uses pork sausage instead of ground pork.  You decide.  I'm sticking to fish and veggies for tonight.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/grandma-s-swedish-meatballs/

Off to the pool!

Grandma-s-Swedish-Meatballs_EXPS_SDON16_76175_D06_03_3b-5.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for the TGIF Daily, Rich.  Love pistachio.  Best wishes to those who celebrate Purim.  I would love to see Carnival sometime but don't have the patience with crowds.  Great quote by Einstein.  The sweedish meatballs sound nice.  My alternative is Classic Caesar Salad, Rigatroni with Chicken Meatballs, and Sliced Fruit Plate as served on MS Prinsendam February 26, 2019.

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2019/02/dishes26.jpg

It was also the Mariner celebration day and the last time the penguins were out in public:

penguin26.jpg

Today's care list:

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

myself facing cardiac surgery

NextOne DH recovering from surgery and facing chemo

Vict0uann’s cousin with falling

HAL (and other crews)

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Wekcome aboard Divi

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Second jab for durangoscots and lazey1

First jab for VingageGeo DW

StLouisCruisers in Floirda

This community

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 28
  • Thanks 5

Good morning.  Happy Friday!

Thanks for the Daily Report.

Interesting collection of days.  I wish I had some pistachios, but we ate them.

The quote may be true for some, but not for all.

Thanks for the meal suggestion, but my dear husband is having a root canal this afternoon, so we'll have a bowl of soup for supper.  I hope his mouth isn't too sore.

Sending prayers for everyone.

Have a great day.

Stay safe.

• Like 19

Good  morning  and  thank  you  for  the daily. My  Swedish  grandmother  passed  down  her  meatball  recipe  to me  and  they  are  always  a  hit  in  this  house. She  was  called  Mormor(mother's  mother) and  that  it  what  my  grandchildren  call  me. Lovely  memories.

Today  DH  and  I  get  our  second  jabs.  I  already  made  a  hair  appointment  for  two weeks  from  now  and  plan  to  lose  several  inches. It  is  so  exciting  to  have  even  a  small  plan.      Terry

• Like 23

Good Friday morning dailyites.  I saw Carnival Day and thought of cruises, LOL you know where my head is.  Love Pistachios.  Had to look Purim up.  Love Swedish Meatballs but have never made them. Roy's meal sounds very good too.  I can identify with the Einstein quote.  Sometimes I just need to walk away from a project and relax to have the answer come to me.

Prayers, virtual hugs, and toasts to both of our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Pear Cobbler:

Ingredients
For the Drunken Pears:
2 pears
2 cups brandy
For the Cocktail:
1 1/2 ounces fino sherry
1 1/2 ounces pear-infused brandy
1/2 ounce cinnamon syrup
1 or 2 fresh pears, (diced)
Garnish: red or green grapes
Garnish: drunken pears

There are many details for making this cocktail.  Here is the link I found:  

https://www.thespruceeats.com/pear-cobbler-cocktail-recipe-4149595

Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 7.08.01 AM.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Hope those that celebrate enjoy their Carnival festivity before the very austere 40 days of Lent 🥂 

Wishing all of our Jewish CC friends a joyous Purim celebration! 🙂 

Love the quote by Einstein.

Both the meal suggestion and alternate are meatballs 😱 Not one of my favourite things so I’ll pass, thanks 🙂 

That’s one complicated drink, summer.  I think I’ll try it when there is a bartender to prepare if for me 😉 The wine sounds interesting indeed.

This is the perfect no solicitation sign to me:

7D7693B5-C359-485F-89D8-6D2FEC7FCFD0.jpeg.f184a1796c2cf068e51d7f9f6cd8bd46.jpeg

Back to the bitter cold. Looks like every time it “warms up” we get a storm.Looks like we are due for one on March 1st.  That’s one I will take gladly if it means March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb 😉 

03AEBFE6-5605-432F-B091-50B2E82516BD.jpeg.26e4400f75b8d2428a57dfa137ba5679.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & for those that need them.  And, a big toast to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list 🥂 

Have a great TGIF everyone.  Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 25
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, kazu said:

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Hope those that celebrate enjoy their Carnival festivity before the very austere 40 days of Lent 🥂 

Wishing all of our Jewish CC friends a joyous Purim celebration! 🙂 

Love the quote by Einstein.

Both the meal suggestion and alternate are meatballs 😱 Not one of my favourite things so I’ll pass, thanks 🙂 

That’s one complicated drink, summer.  I think I’ll try it when there is a bartender to prepare if for me 😉 The wine sounds interesting indeed.

This is the perfect no solicitation sign to me:

7D7693B5-C359-485F-89D8-6D2FEC7FCFD0.jpeg.f184a1796c2cf068e51d7f9f6cd8bd46.jpeg

Back to the bitter cold. Looks like every time it “warms up” we get a storm.Looks like we are due for one on March 1st.  That’s one I will take gladly if it means March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb 😉 

03AEBFE6-5605-432F-B091-50B2E82516BD.jpeg.26e4400f75b8d2428a57dfa137ba5679.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & for those that need them.  And, a big toast to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list 🥂 

Have a great TGIF everyone.  Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

Love the snow blower cartoon. My DH insisted on buying a snow blower even though we don’t get that much snow in St Louis. He used it maybe half a dozen times and then one winter it wasn’t working very well, so we had it repaired and then gifted it to a much younger neighbor who had his eye on it. When we arrived home last week, our driveway and sidewalks were clear; our neighbor had done 10 of the houses on our street! (Our neighbor also hand shoveled a spot on the grass for my puppy as Fritz does not like going in the snow!)

St Louis Sal

• Like 29

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Quite a variety of days to celebrate!

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! Morning Dailyites & my Sisters! Denise, I know this past year has been so difficult for families. Glad David enjoyed his celebration. Hope Shawn has a great birthday. Joy things seem to be a bit more normal there!

Summer, I had the same reaction to Carnival as you! Someone would have to make that drink for me, in order for me to try it. Way too complicated!  That quote is true for me, sometimes.  Debbie, thanks for sharing the recipe before pool time! Hope you had a great workout! I think working out releases endorphins that make one feel good. I am too lazy to look that up, but I seem to remember someone saying it.

Today is going to be another exquisite day in the neighborhood. @StLouisCruisers, glad you made it down ok. Enjoy this weather. It is a bit cooler up my way, but still special. I see getting out in the garden in my future. And a long walk for Bindi in her future. After Zumba & before a celebration birthday dinner for a friend at an amazing Asian restaurant. I see a bowl of seafood pho in my future, and an appetizer of some kind. And maybe a drink instead of wine. We will see. 

Prayers for all who need our support! Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

This wine was a bit elusive, but pasting info from several sites, this red from Portugal has an excellent rating & sounds like a more full-bodied Pinot Noir to me. Dry, smooth, but more robust than a Pinot Noir. I found one online distributor of the 2016 vintage (same excellent rating) whose price was less than $25. More than one layperson said this one was smooth enough to sip alone!

Tasting Notes

Very deep purple crimson. Aroma to ripe blackberry, plum, damson and cassis, spice too. Full black body, velvety texture, ample black fruits, good freshness and spice too. Very tasty, delicious, elegant with a long and intense end of tasting.

How to Serve

A pleasure as a strong aperitif, great with red meat, big beef steaks, mushroom risotto, pasta, vegetarian, curry and other spicy food and dry cheese dishes. We recommend to serve at the temperature of 16 -18ºC. We recommend as well with omega 3 fishes, grilled sardines, salmon and cod fish, but at the temperature of 14 - 16ºC.

• Like 23

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  One day I'd love to see Carnival, but that won't be happening for a good while.  Love pistachios - remember the red ones that stained your fingers for days?  Best wishes to all who celebrate Purim today.

I woke up at my usual time (around 6) and thought it was chilly in the house.  On my way to make coffee, I took a quick glance at the thermostat (without my glasses) and thought, oh, it's only 19, the furnace hasn't kicked on yet.  A couple of minutes later, got my glasses and looked at it again, and it's 14C (57F) in the house!   Brrrr.   I've got a call in to the furnace repair folks and hope that when they get in at 8, they'll call back.  For now I'm heading back into bed where DH is peacefully slumbering.  Won't he be surprised when my freezing body slithers in next to his?  LOL

We like meatballs, but actually prefer our old family recipe of porcupines.  Today being Friday though, it seems like it'll be pizza tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the wine glasses to toast all on the happy list, especially those with first and second jabs.  Stay well, be safe, wash your hands and wear your mask(s).

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 24

9 minutes ago, St. Louis Sal said:

then gifted it to a much younger neighbor who had his eye on it. When we arrived home last week, our driveway and sidewalks were clear; our neighbor had done 10 of the houses on our street! (Our neighbor also hand shoveled a spot on the grass for my puppy as Fritz does not like going in the snow!)

I love stories of good karma 🙂 

You did something nice for the neighbour and the kindness was returned.  Wonderful!

• Like 21

1 minute ago, ger_77 said:

I woke up at my usual time (around 6) and thought it was chilly in the house.  On my way to make coffee, I took a quick glance at the thermostat (without my glasses) and thought, oh, it's only 19, the furnace hasn't kicked on yet.  A couple of minutes later, got my glasses and looked at it again, and it's 14C (57F) in the house!   Brrrr.   I've got a call in to the furnace repair folks and hope that when they get in at 8, they'll call back.  For now I'm heading back into bed where DH is peacefully slumbering.  Won't he be surprised when my freezing body slithers in next to his?  LOL

Hope that gets sorted out very quickly.

Roy

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Brrrr.   I've got a call in to the furnace repair folks and hope that when they get in at 8, they'll call back.  For now I'm heading back into bed where DH is peacefully slumbering.  Won't he be surprised when my freezing body slithers in next to his? 

YIKES 😱 I hope the furnace guys can get their ASAP and get things working!!!  It’s too cold to be without heat 😳 

• Like 10

Good morning everyone. I love pistachios and would eat them more often, but they are very salty. I do celebrate Purim. It’s a happy holiday and one of my former favorites. 

Not Swedish, but my mother used to make sweet and sour meatballs. My kids and grandkids love them, but the company that made the sauce stopped manufacturing it and now the meatballs just don’t taste like grandma’s.

Off to check out the VA hospital that DH has to go to on Monday for his shot.

Stay safe everyone.

Carol

• Like 21

I think Rich's Carnival Day refers to the fair-like events.

Carnival season precedes Ash Wednesday which was February 17 this year. Rio and Venice canceled their 2021 Carnival festivities, but some partying still went on. 

Of course, it could refer to HAL's parent corporation. We can all celebrate that.

• Like 16