The Daily for Friday Feb 26, 2021

richwmn

Good morning all, scratching my head over carnival day since carnival (Marci Gras) was before Ash Wednesday which was feb 17. So google tells me

Carnival Day

Date When Celebrated : This holiday is always on February 26

Carnival Day celebrates a popular entertainment venue. Each year, millions of Americans flock to carnivals and put down big bucks to be entertained by death defying treats, clowns, elephants, lions, animal acts, and much more. Often, carnivals are preceded by a parade. Its a away to let the townspeople know that the carnival has come to town.

i swear, I learn something new every day on this thread. Have a great day everyone. We have sunshine and will be above freezing. Our snow is disappearing!

Typing at the same time re explanation!

Edited by superoma
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Today we celebrate carnivals, many of which are the traveling type, similar to nineteenth-century circuses; they may consist of amusement rides, food, games—both of chance and skill, thrill acts, and animal acts. These professional traveling carnivals take place at state and county fairs, or in smaller places like store parking lots. Some professional traveling carnivals are used by schools, churches, businesses, and other groups, but some of these groups may design less sophisticated carnivals on their own. For example, students at a school may organize and run a carnival at their school as a fundraiser, without the use of a professional carnival company. Carnivals are often held in the summer months, but there are winter carnivals as well.

posting at same time as @superoma

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

I woke up at my usual time (around 6) and thought it was chilly in the house.  On my way to make coffee, I took a quick glance at the thermostat (without my glasses) and thought, oh, it's only 19, the furnace hasn't kicked on yet.  A couple of minutes later, got my glasses and looked at it again, and it's 14C (57F) in the house!   Brrrr.   I've got a call in to the furnace repair folks and hope that when they get in at 8, they'll call back.  For now I'm heading back into bed where DH is peacefully slumbering.  Won't he be surprised when my freezing body slithers in next to his?  LOL

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Gerry, Hope your repairman gets there soon.  I had that happen a couple of years ago and it took them two days to get the part they needed so I had small heaters all over the house.  I was lucky and it was early spring  when it happened so it was not bitterly cold.  Lucky it didn't happen a couple of weeks ago when we had that arctic blast come through for 10 days.  It was cold here then but nothing like what you were having up there.   

Neil

Edited by travelnap
  • Like 12

Best of the morning to you Rich, Roy, my sweet sisters and fellow Daily-ites. You are in my prayers Roy.

Our friend was removed from ventilator and passed away quickly yesterday. His SO is still having  issues but will recover. (Her mom passed a few weeks ago with Covid also)

I do not care for meatballs. But I have made an appetizer with peach jam and brandy that were pretty good. Folks at our B & B enjoyed them with a glass of wine in the evening.

Lots of banging around this week. Our neighbors are having an extended patio built and Claudio has started work on our patio as well. Rain is in the forecast over the next 4 days, so hoping they can work around rain drops.

Sending out Blessings, Prayers, and Cheers,

Joy

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone.  

Here's to another great day.   I love pistachios.

Today's meal gets mixed reviews.   Many don't like it because it doesn't have nutmeg in the recipe and it uses pork sausage instead of ground pork.  You decide.  I'm sticking to fish and veggies for tonight.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/grandma-s-swedish-meatballs/

Off to the pool!

Grandma-s-Swedish-Meatballs_EXPS_SDON16_76175_D06_03_3b-5.jpg

I will also have fish today.

• Like 7

54 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Our friend was removed from ventilator and passed away quickly yesterday.

I am so sorry to hear this, Joy 😢 Our prayers and thoughts are with your friend, their family and you. 🙏🏻 ♥️ 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, NextOne said:

Good news! I'll be able to go visit DH later today! Apparently each unit is allowed to establish it's own visitation rules, and this one allows one family member every 24 hours. Yay!

That is really good news!!  I’m sure your visit will pick up his spirits!

• Like 11

Pistachios might be my favorite nut for snacking. In the summer, we usually have a big bag (from Costco of course!) of them in the shell. We'll have them on the deck, dock, or patio with cocktails and the shells become garden mulch.

About 2-3 years ago at our Canadian cottage there was a blue jay that would come by every time I sat out on our deck and patiently wait for me to put a couple of pistachios out for him (or her). It never got to the point where I could feed it by hand, but it would come pretty close.

DSC_1498.thumb.JPG.cb7c12343b50c6645d834422c1c68f81.JPG2125769595_20171025_170843(2).thumb.jpg.8017eb476fd2ce62712c17f7c0243e59.jpg1236257061_DSC_1333(2).thumb.JPG.024200a433585f68248b30ffeaf2c397.JPG

• Like 26

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

ur friend was removed from ventilator and passed away quickly yesterday. His SO is still having  issues but will recover. (Her mom passed a few weeks ago with Covid also)

So sorry to hear this.

Roy

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cruise Suzy said:

I think Rich's Carnival Day refers to the fair-like events.

Carnival season precedes Ash Wednesday which was February 17 this year. Rio and Venice canceled their 2021 Carnival festivities, but some partying still went on. 

Of course, it could refer to HAL's parent corporation. We can all celebrate that.

You’re right.  I forgot Ash Wednesday had passed.  Thanks for the correction.

• Like 4

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

GOOD MORNING TO EVERYONE THIS WONDERFUL TGIF!!!!!

🌺I AM DEFINITELY UP EARLY THIS AM!

I CHECKED OUT MY MAMA HUMMINGBIRD TO SEE HIW SHE WAS DOING!👍 STILL THERE! They lay only 2 eggs and will hatch 15-18 days and then her babies will be in nest up to 27 days! So will see how she does.

🌺🌺Rich and Roy thank you for the contributions!! I have to agree I thought of CRUISING ALSO WITH CARNIVAL!!

I will opt for Roy’s dinner👍👍

🌺Debbie! You were the first one posting this am! Thanks for the photo but I am not into meatballs!! So happy you are having fun with water aerobics!

🌺Summer, that drink for me is too complicated!! Brandy is not something I enjoy  but would take a taste!

🌺Ann, I will pass on the wine not a fan too much! Thanks for always giving us a great description of the wines! Yesterday’s champagne is a favorite of mine!

🌺Joy!! Sooo sorry to hear of your friends passing!! This has taken a toll on so many souls! It is so important to see each other’s inner love for all mankind and know we will get through it all!

🌺Jacqui, I looked forward to your writings and can’t wait for when you cruise and hope to read your writings again!

But until then, I loved your quotes for today!

❤️ To all

Denise😊

• Like 19

3 hours ago, summer slope said:

Good Friday morning dailyites.  I saw Carnival Day and thought of cruises, LOL you know where my head is.  Love Pistachios.  Had to look Purim up.  Love Swedish Meatballs but have never made them. Roy's meal sounds very good too.  I can identify with the Einstein quote.  Sometimes I just need to walk away from a project and relax to have the answer come to me.

Prayers, virtual hugs, and toasts to both of our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Pear Cobbler:

Ingredients
For the Drunken Pears:
2 pears
2 cups brandy
For the Cocktail:
1 1/2 ounces fino sherry
1 1/2 ounces pear-infused brandy
1/2 ounce cinnamon syrup
1 or 2 fresh pears, (diced)
Garnish: red or green grapes
Garnish: drunken pears

There are many details for making this cocktail.  Here is the link I found:  

https://www.thespruceeats.com/pear-cobbler-cocktail-recipe-4149595

Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 7.08.01 AM.png

Haha. I think a cocktail needs only two ingredients: a shot of booze and a little liquid of any kind. But what do I know! 

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

Good morning, all! Pistachios and Carnival sound like fun, and yes, I thought of ships too. Meatballs are always a hit here, but last night was roast beef so we have leftovers for tonight. @ger_77 I hope the furnace repair man gets there ASAP! I checked the forecast, and S’toon is heading back into a cold snap today, with -22 as a low tonight. That’s not weather to play with!

We actually have sun today, or at least at the moment. The birds are singing away, which is nice to hear.

Happy Friday, and someday we can celebrate HAL Day again!

2B0C376E-CB95-42E8-BA87-31AF6BBC4A25.thumb.jpeg.6ee56e69bcd6080a44f90bbd235ce84e.jpeg

• Like 19

Good morning all!

Interesting collection of days -- I too thought of ships when I saw Carnival. I do like Swedish Meatballs, but especially those served at Ikea with Lingonberry Sauce!  The only way I like pistachio is in ice cream. 🙂  

@smitty34877congrats getting your second jabs!

@kazuI need to get one of those no soliciting signs 😉  

@ger_77I hope the repairman gets your furnace up and running asap!  Not the time to be without it!

@NextOneso happy you can  visit your DH 🙂  

@Seasick SailorI'm so sorry for your loss. 😞  

Yesterday my sister got her second jab, we can't wait to finally get together in a couple weeks.  I haven't seen her even socially distanced in 14 months.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2