The Daily for Friday Feb 26, 2021

richwmn

Good morning to all. And it looks like a good morning here.... sunshine and temps slowly climbing. We should be hitting the low 50's by mid-week. I noticed that the snow plow has torn up some of my Iris. As soon as the ground thaws a bit I need to do some work in that Iris bed. No snow in the forecast now.... we could used some rain. Denver got whammed with the last storm which went down the east slope. They need it too.

My arm is till sore this morning. The first shot's discomfort only lasted about 12 hours.... this is more than double that but still not a bad reaction. Just glad to have it behind me. I had the Pfizer vaccine.... I think most places here are giving Modurna. 

I love Swedish meatballs.... but this evening it is going to be some lamb needs to come out of the freezer. Maybe in a couple of days. I really am getting very, very tired of having to think about meals.

Susan

Edited by durangoscots
typo
  • Like 18

3 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Debbie, thanks for sharing the recipe before pool time! Hope you had a great workout! I think working out releases endorphins that make one feel good. I am too lazy to look that up, but I seem to remember someone saying it.

I have the same thought.   This WebMD article is about exercise and depression, but it is a good source of the benefits of exercise to our mood and disposition.  https://www.webmd.com/depression/guide/exercise-depression

@ger_77 Oh, my goodness.  I hope that furnace is fixed soon.  Why do they always go out when it is really cold?   Mine broke down a few years ago in January during a real cold snap.  

@Seasick Sailor I'm so sorry to hear of your friend's passing.  

@NextOne  Enjoy your visit!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Happy Friday morning and Thank You for the Daily! 😊

When I hear "Carnival" I think of the performance we saw in Recife when we were on a Viking ocean cruise. Fantastic music, masks, dancing, etc. 😍 Great itinerary in Brazil & Amazon. 

🙏Prayers for all who are in need and have a safe weekend!😷

16143566993572617572595396925749.jpg

• Like 17

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

I like Carnivals and Pistachios. Purim was on the news yesterday, as there's been a big outbreak of Covid in our local Jewish community (3000 cases) so they are changing how they will celebrate.

I like Swedish meatballs, but have never made them.

@ger_77 Hope all is well with the furnace. Right before Christmas I woke up to a cold house. Checked my boiler and no flame. I assumed the thermocouple had gone. Called my longtime plumber right at 8AM and he was there in an hour and fixed it right up quickly.

@NextOne Good news indeed that you can visit DH!

@Seasick Sailor My condolences on the loss of your friend.

@Overhead Fred What a gorgeous view from your deck!

Prayers for the care list and cheers to the celebration list.

Stay safe, social distance and wear your mask (even if you're vaccinated)

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 16

@Seasick SailorI'm saddened by the news of your friend's passing; may your fond memories bring you comfort.

Furnace update:  the cavalry arrived around 9:30 (we were his second call of the morning), and now he's on his way out the door to look for a new motor.  We currently have the gas fireplace on in the living room, and electric heaters in the bedrooms where we winter our plants.  The thermostat is reading a cool 10.2C, or 50F.  I went for a hot shower, and we've been drinking hot tea all morning.  Good thing we live on the "frozen tundra" because we've got lots of quality clothing and stuff to keep us warm.  I have this great down-filled vest that makes me look like the Michelin tire man's wife, but I didn't notice the Fashion Police anywhere nearby, so I'm not going to worry.  Hopefully by mid-afternoon we should be back to normal.  Hopefully.  LOL   Thank you everyone for your concern; it's greatly appreciated.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, there seems to be good news and sad news today.  I will be thinking of you all. T he good news in Canada today is that the AstraZeneca vaccine has been approved.  Except that it is not going over well in Europe because it was not well-tested on over 65s evidently.  What to do, what to do....

On this day in 2019 on the Grand SA, as Roy mentioned,  it was a special day for the penguins, and for Roy; we watch as he was endowed with a medallion:

IMG_8719.thumb.JPG.e4b8eff4cbf8082f8c3f9a2b4e7e4d44.JPG

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  I like pistachios, but haven’t had any in several years.  I am not a fan of meatballs, but DH likes them.  

Six years ago, we were in Rio the last day of Carnival.  The big parades were over, but a lot of the floats were parked along some roads near the port.  Our shore excursion bus passed quite a few, and even partly dismantled they were impressive.  Unfortunately, I could not get any pictures from the bus.

It’s sunny today, and our high winds have died down, but we’re supposed to get high winds Sunday.

@ger_77 Good to hear they are working on your furnace.

@NextOne  Enjoy your visits with your DH.  I know he will enjoy seeing you.

@Seasick Sailor  Sorry about your friends passing.

Our big project today will be to get our fixed tire.  As we were leaving yesterday for doctors appointment in Parker, we discovered a flat.  With our neighbor’s help, we got the flat off and the dinky spare on and were good to go, if just a little slower.  We even made it to the doctors a few minutes before the appointment.  It’s a good thing we decided to leave early.  Once back in Quartzsite, DH took the flat tire in to be fixed.  

Lenda

• Like 17

3 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Best of the morning to you Rich, Roy, my sweet sisters and fellow Daily-ites. You are in my prayers Roy.

Our friend was removed from ventilator and passed away quickly yesterday. His SO is still having  issues but will recover. (Her mom passed a few weeks ago with Covid also)

I’m so very sorry to hear this.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thanks all!  
@Seasick Sailor sorry to hear about your friend.

@ger_77yikes,  stay warm, hope it’s fixed today!   
take care everyone! 

60B8D412-99AA-44CF-B306-38AFA30048FF.jpeg

Nice shot Brenda.

Our deer aren’t shy here.  This one was watching my neighbour’s tv with her (at least that’s what she thinks 😉 ). Yup, it was right at her window.

2B040C59-2EAA-4B6F-861A-452CFD2698CC.thumb.jpeg.6b29403191df62ff1f810111c5927870.jpeg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

Furnace update:  the cavalry arrived around 9:30 (we were his second call of the morning), and now he's on his way out the door to look for a new motor. 

Oh I hope he can find the motor and get it installed for you ASAP, Gerry 🤞 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, there seems to be good news and sad news today.  I will be thinking of you all. T he good news in Canada today is that the AstraZeneca vaccine has been approved.  Except that it is not going over well in Europe because it was not well-tested on over 65s evidently.  What to do, what to do....

Well, maybe some of us that are under 65 can get it, otherwise, it looks like I will have to wait until July to get my first shot. 🤞

• Like 5

image.thumb.jpeg.55469165e783e5994a4efaa903d495f6.jpeg

🌴🌴🌴😊😊😊😊

Just alittle cheer to give! Now with the sun on her you can see her streak of green! We just came home and she was buzzing around us and then went up to her nest!

😳I PROMISE TOO TRY NOT TO SEND ANYMORE  MORE PHOTOS!🤞 LOL

Denise😊

• Like 17

On the subject of Carnivals, I have a question.

We had several companies in MD that would bring Carnival Rides and stands to different churches and organizations in our state as part of a fund-raising effort.  In my area of Baltimore City it was a major effort to make certain no church scheduled their parish Carnival to compete with another nearby parish or, possibly, the Volunteer Fire Department just across the County Line.

Naturally, these events got cancelled when the Pandemic hit and, I've heard through the grapevine, that the two vendors we used to hire have gone out of business.  These companies had been in business for at least two generations.

Do any of you know if the same hold true for your area?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

image.thumb.jpeg.55469165e783e5994a4efaa903d495f6.jpeg

🌴🌴🌴😊😊😊😊

Just alittle cheer to give! Now with the sun on her you can see her streak of green! We just came home and she was buzzing around us and then went up to her nest!

😳I PROMISE TOO TRY NOT TO SEND ANYMORE  MORE PHOTOS!🤞 LOL

Denise😊

I'm sure we will want to see everything as the babies progress.  We had a nest in a rhododendron one year when we lived in Oak Bay.  I swear Mama thought we were the hired help.  If a big bird (a crow or even a robin) came into the garden, she would come and look in the window until we would go out to shoo off the "enemy" and protect her precious offspring.

Our two babes:

264947039_Hummingbird024.thumb.jpg.39784806b6574f15788bbcf9715bafc1.jpg

• Like 20

7 hours ago, richwmn said:

Wine of the day - DFJ Vinhos 2017 Aluado Reserva Alicante Bouschet (Lisboa) Portugal

6 hours ago, cat shepard said:

This wine was a bit elusive, but pasting info from several sites, this red from Portugal has an excellent rating & sounds like a more full-bodied Pinot Noir to me. Dry, smooth, but more robust than a Pinot Noir. I found one online distributor of the 2016 vintage (same excellent rating) whose price was less than $25. More than one layperson said this one was smooth enough to sip alone!

Tasting Notes

Very deep purple crimson. Aroma to ripe blackberry, plum, damson and cassis, spice too. Full black body, velvety texture, ample black fruits, good freshness and spice too. Very tasty, delicious, elegant with a long and intense end of tasting.

How to Serve

A pleasure as a strong aperitif, great with red meat, big beef steaks, mushroom risotto, pasta, vegetarian, curry and other spicy food and dry cheese dishes. We recommend to serve at the temperature of 16 -18ºC. We recommend as well with omega 3 fishes, grilled sardines, salmon and cod fish, but at the temperature of 14 - 16ºC.

Fun fact about the Alicante Bouschet grape.  It is one of the very few grapes whose flesh and, therefore, whose juice is red.  This is the reason why Alicante Bouschet wines are such a deep, dark color, 

Alicante Bouschet is one of my absolutely favorite wines.  When @cat shepardsays "This wine was a bit elusive," I might add that any wine made from Alicante Bouschet grapes is hard to find--at least in the New World.  However. this grape is widely planted in the Alentejo region of Portugal.  While the label might not indicate so, you can be confident that any red Alentejo wine will contain a significant portion of Alicante Bouschet.  For anybody who lives near a Total Wine store, there is a good chance that you can find one or two examples of Alentejo wines, and they are reasonably priced--usually, less than $20 with some bottlings less than $10.

It is also difficult to find California vesions of Alicante Boushchet.  It is included in field blends from makers such as Bedrock, Bucklin and Ridge, but it is quite rare to find a varietal bottling.  I have one bottle in my collection--a Carlisle Winery bottling made from grapes grown in the historic PagIani Ranch vineyard in Sonoma Valley.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

Fun fact about the Alicante Bouschet grape.  It is one of the very few grapes whose flesh and, therefore, whose juice is red.  This is the reason why Alicante Bouschet wines are such a deep, dark color, 

Alicante Bouschet is one of my absolutely favorite wines.  When @cat shepardsays "This wine was a bit elusive," I might add that any wine made from Alicante Bouschet grapes is hard to find--at least in the New World.  However. this grape is widely planted in the Alentejo region of Portugal.  While the label might not indicate so, you can be confident that any red Alentejo wine will contain a significant portion of Alicante Bouschet.  For anybody who lives near a Total Wine store, there is a good chance that you can find one or two examples of Alentejo wines, and they are reasonably priced--usually, less than $20 with some bottlings less than $10.

It is also difficult to find California vesions of Alicante Boushchet.  It is included in field blends from makers such as Bedrock, Bucklin and Ridge, but it is quite rare to find a varietal bottling.  I have one bottle in my collection--a Carlisle Winery bottling made from grapes grown in the historic PagIani Ranch vineyard in Sonoma Valley.

Happy 10 year Anaver

• Like 2

Thank you for the warm welcome, makes my heart smile.🥰

In another 45 minutes, our living room will transform into The Ocean Bar where we will be meeting our friends via FaceTime for happy hour. We are so hoping we will be meeting them there for real on our Rotterdam TA in October.

Deen

• Like 19

6 hours ago, richwmn said:

I was just going thru some pictures and found this:

IMG_1273.thumb.JPG.9ed60000a4b99f904027a8185b242464.JPG

Feb 15, 2019 Cozumel

Help me please. My eyes are not strong enough to read the name of the ship. Which one of the blue hulled beauties is this?