Cruising Without Masks?

11 minutes ago, MommaBear55 said:

It felt wrong to see someone outside my bubble's face

isn't this a weird feeling? even watching tv shows where unmasked people are together in large groups makes me anxious. it is such a crazy feeling. 

• Like 2

Just now, allisonb22 said:

isn't this a weird feeling? even watching tv shows where unmasked people are together in large groups makes me anxious. it is such a crazy feeling. 

I'm the opposite and tired of zoom tv with people in boxes. I saw a mattress commercial with a girl lying on a bed in a mask. I thought that was wierd. 

I live in texas with george who gets by nov masks are gone. Idk I think some want them to co tune, though our governor says he has it under study. I hate them, but wear them, as we have a mask mandate. Dont have to like it and hope it ends like george says.

10 hours ago, Ashland said:

This is a work in progress...not all specifics are completely known yet...we prefer to err on the side of caution especially in public spaces. We don't need to have a posted sign to tell us to. 

👍

10 hours ago, tonit964 said:

You touched on what I've been thinking all along. Once people are on board, they will push the mask wearing to the limit. After dining, taking time to put it back on, walking down the cabin hallways, people getting belligerent after drinking and refusing to put the mask back on, etc. I don't know how the staff would handle this. I just imagine it would be constant, not to mention passengers getting into over mask & no mask. We've all seen it in the grocery stores.

Easy, if people don't comply let them permanently get off the ship at the next port or stay in their cabins until back home.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, MommaBear55 said:

I was actually freaked out to see two people who weren't masked when I was skiing the other day. It felt wrong to see someone outside my bubble's face. 

I hope they're o.k.  

9 hours ago, allisonb22 said:

We don't have a mask mandate where we live.  So even in stores not everyone has a mask on.  I still have a weird feeling seeing everyone with masks on especially outside.

• Like 2

On 2/27/2021 at 11:53 PM, RiotAct said:

likely never.

I agree with you. And I actually thinks masks should be worn on ships forever. For two reasons. Firstly to protect against lawsuits for getting sick from Covid and also to prevent not only Covid outbreak but also Flu outbreaks onboard as well. 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

I agree with you. And I actually thinks masks should be worn on ships forever. For two reasons. Firstly to protect against lawsuits for getting sick from Covid and also to prevent not only Covid outbreak but also Flu outbreaks onboard as well. 

Flu outbreaks are very rare on cruise ships.

17 hours ago, tonit964 said:

You touched on what I've been thinking all along. Once people are on board, they will push the mask wearing to the limit. After dining, taking time to put it back on, walking down the cabin hallways, people getting belligerent after drinking and refusing to put the mask back on, etc. I don't know how the staff would handle this. I just imagine it would be constant, not to mention passengers getting into over mask & no mask. We've all seen it in the grocery stores.

People who refuse to wear the masks should be banned for life and thrown off the ship at the next port. Something Royal does not do well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, smokeybandit said:

Flu outbreaks are very rare on cruise ships.

What is "Flu" though? "Flu" kills people. Flu is also a very general term and needs a test to diagnose. We all say we have flu when infect we have cold. But to stop colds maybe they should. Plus the lawsuit no matter how you word the contracts. You don't think these all inclusive places have worded contracts about suing. They probably do but still get sued.

If we want to cruise, we need to follow what ever guidelines the CDC and powers that be dictate, no matter how senseless they may seem.

As for masks, scientists have known for years masks don't protect against aerosols like COVID.  too many leaks, even with N 95 masks.  Of course the more layers to more "protection", but the harder it is to breathe .And look at the COVID cases in places where strict mask mandates are in force...At best, no different than where regs are looser. 

Masks do a great job for heavier droplets, especially if coming from you.  But same thing can be achieved by sneezing in your sleeve.  Washing hands does little against COVID, but works very well on those heavy droplets that do stick or where physical contact can transmit viruses, like NORO and Flu.  COVID doesn't transmit well via contact. Very few cases if any reported from direct contact.  The virus seems to die off quickly on surfaces.

So some of the measures we take against COVID do benefit us against other illnesses and on a cruise ship, that's important to your health and enjoyment.  So yes, even if it seems silly or inconvenient, wearing a mask is still better than being quarantined in your cabin for 1/2 the cruise with NORO.  

10 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

As for masks, scientists have known for years masks don't protect against aerosols like COVID.  too many leaks, even with N 95 masks.

Not true.

https://scholar.google.ca/scholar?q=masks+covid+transmission&hl=en&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholart

17 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

No one has ever gotten covid by walking past someone without a mask in a hallway.

Can you prove that statement?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

If we want to cruise, we need to follow what ever guidelines the CDC and powers that be dictate, no matter how senseless they may seem.

As for masks, scientists have known for years masks don't protect against aerosols like COVID.  too many leaks, even with N 95 masks.  Of course the more layers to more "protection", but the harder it is to breathe .And look at the COVID cases in places where strict mask mandates are in force...At best, no different than where regs are looser. 

Masks do a great job for heavier droplets, especially if coming from you.  But same thing can be achieved by sneezing in your sleeve.  Washing hands does little against COVID, but works very well on those heavy droplets that do stick or where physical contact can transmit viruses, like NORO and Flu.  COVID doesn't transmit well via contact. Very few cases if any reported from direct contact.  The virus seems to die off quickly on surfaces.

So some of the measures we take against COVID do benefit us against other illnesses and on a cruise ship, that's important to your health and enjoyment.  So yes, even if it seems silly or inconvenient, wearing a mask is still better than being quarantined in your cabin for 1/2 the cruise with NORO.  

NORO is more touch of surface and then face then airborne and can be dealt with imodium plus as I have learned from the NCL Pearl. If I had had imodium plus I never would have gone to the medical centre. They don't sell imodium plus on purpose you know. 

But yes masks might help to prevent NORO spread as well

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Can you prove it has happened?  Such an incident would go against all research that says you need at least 15 minutes of close contact

You made the claim. If there is so much research data backing it present it. Asking me to disprove your claim suggests there is no solid research proving the claim.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

👍

Easy, if people don't comply let them permanently get off the ship at the next port or stay in their cabins until back home.

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

People who refuse to wear the masks should be banned for life and thrown off the ship at the next port. Something Royal does not do well.

I agree with you both on the consequences, however how realistic will it be for staff to enforce it? I don't have the answer but I guarantee, we will be hearing stories when cruising resumes.

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

NORO is more touch of surface and then face then airborne and can be dealt with imodium plus as I have learned from the NCL Pearl. If I had had imodium plus I never would have gone to the medical centre. They don't sell imodium plus on purpose you know. 

But yes masks might help to prevent NORO spread as well

Anyone wondering why Noro spreads on ships, here is your answer:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, allisonb22 said:

i totally agree! i worry about not being able to get off without having a preplanned excursion . have a 11 night port intensive itinerary booked and don't always want to book excursions

Yeah that would be problematic long term but I'm ok with it for my cruise in Dec. 

• Thanks 1