Door decorations?

Hangman115

Which cruise lines allow door decorations?

I know NO TAPE. I have magnets.

I am visually impaired. I get around using a white blind cane. Almost totally blind. Still see some shadows in one eye.

The door decorations will help me find my cabin since seeing the cabin numbers is not easy.

53 minutes ago, Hangman115 said:

I am visually impaired. I get around using a white blind cane. Almost totally blind. Still see some shadows in one eye.

The door decorations will help me find my cabin since seeing the cabin numbers is not easy.

I know Disney does.  I've also seen some decorations on Princess, and Holland America.  

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

Many doors are not magnetic enough toehold the magnets.  we find that on carnival, but we’re able to hang using magnets on Celebrity.  Nor on MSC although the walls at the entrance held the magnets well.  

Thank you. My next cruise I am booked on is MSC Divina

A year or so ago there was a report that NCL no longer allowed door decorations -- stewards would remove them and place them inside the cabin. However, I think that the accessibility department, if called in advance, would agree to something since it's for function, not esthetics.

• Like 1

I wouldn't approach the cruise line asking for "decorations." You have a visual need for assistance to locate your stateroom. Once a few years ago, Crystal attached some balloons to a door for someone visually impaired. I can't imagine a cruise line would deny this request when you frame it as a medical need.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Hangman115 said:

I am like you.  Diagnosed with RP.

I've used a number of different magnets on cabin doors on different cruise lines...never a problem.

I speak to the cabin steward and let him know about my vision and the magnet on the door.

Years ago, I learned not to use "nice" magnets as they tend to "disappear".  We get a few laughs with the cabin steward when he guesses correctly that the magnets are perhaps taken by kids.  The solution: place the magnet higher on the door.  I usually bring a few magnets...some fluorescent...in case I need more than one.

The cabin stewards used to offer us "Happy Birthday" or "Happy Anniversary" magnets for our cabin door......but that can be a problem if someone else nearby is celebrating that occasion.

I have never decorated my cabin door, but we always notice that many doors on our Carnival cruises are elaborately adorned.  I remember reading on Carnival's website that this is allowed, as long as all items attached are fire-retardant.  Also, method of attachment cannot leave any mark when removed.  People used tape (maybe it is special tape?) and putty. 

Occasionally I have left messages for my wife, and I I have never been able to get magnets to stick anywhere on the doors except around the door handle plate.

Interesting to read experiences on ships from other cruise lines.

On 2/27/2021 at 8:49 PM, Essiesmom said:

Many doors are not magnetic enough toehold the magnets.  we find that on carnival, but we’re able to hang using magnets on Celebrity.  Nor on MSC although the walls at the entrance held the magnets well.  

I can confirm that that is the case on Cunard's Queen Mary 2. However, the corridor wall between staterooms is made of steel and magnets readily stick there. On QM2 that's where the room number sconce is located anyway so it's a good spot for a distinctive identification such as the OP needs.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your advice. My eye surgeon today said he may be able to do three surgeries on both eyes before my next scheduled cruise. 2 operations on one eye and one opeartion on the other.  So maybe one eye will be good enought to see the ocean again. 

I still can't drive a car. The DMV does not approve me duct taping my white blind cane to the ftont bumper of the car. kill joys they are.

Cruising has been fun for me. Took one of my first cruises on the SS France in the 70's. Never needed a door decoration until now.

Again thanks for all the advice

May God Bless You All

life3.jpg

Edited by Hangman115
  • Like 2