Would you buy me a postcard? Hypothetical Question.

Esso11

38 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Why change now at this stage of my life?  

Good point.... but we now live in world were tech changes are forced on people....

Talking about telephones... the lane line was very reliable and needed no power

the Voip is not so reliable, after being forced to switch..... also power goes out no phone

and as far as mobile phones, can be good.... but do we really need to contactable 24/7 ?

No I do not carry it round all the time....    

Edited by getting older slowly
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, getting older slowly said:

Good point.... but we now live in world were tech changes are forced on people....

and as far as mobile phones, can be good.... but do we really need to contactable 24/7 ?

No I do not carry it round all the time....    

Some us prefer controlling our "tech" to being controlled by it.  You do not have to carry the devices at all times - or even leave them always on.

A competent dinner host/hostess (or parent) makes it clear that devices are NOT welcome at the dinner table.

16 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

You do not have to carry the devices at all times - or even leave them always on.

I don't leave my cell phone on, but I always have it within arm's reach (hopefully) if I need it.  

18 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

That is what voicemail is for 😜

The irritation that I have with voice mail is that some people talk so fast and so indistinctly that the clarity of what they are saying is often poor.  That results in repeated playbacks in order to try to understand what was said.  More than once, I could not clearly understand the message and gave up thinking that if the message was important whomever would call again.  Never has happened.  But, I receive very clear messages from "Publishers Clearing House" informing me of the millions that I have won (along with a 2021 Lincoln in the color of my choice).  

To stay completely off topic, my favorite phone message was a rushed one.

"I'm taking a later flight, new ETA 4:30, change the pickup time with the driver. Tell Henderson to meet me at the plant instead of the office. I promised Billings they'd have the contract tomorrow, have Swenson sign it and send it next day delivery FedEx."

I had no idea who the call was from, it wasn't for me or anyone I know.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, whogo said:

To stay completely off topic, my favorite phone message was a rushed one.

"I'm taking a later flight, new ETA 4:30, change the pickup time with the driver. Tell Henderson to meet me at the plant instead of the office. I promised Billings they'd have the contract tomorrow, have Swenson sign it and send it next day delivery FedEx."

I had no idea who the call was from, it wasn't for me or anyone I know.

Oh my. Big problems. Not like a postcard from a cruise 🙂

On 4/12/2021 at 5:47 PM, rkacruiser said:

Why change now at this stage of my life?

That's what my parents started saying about a quarter of a century ago, and they have missed out on a lot. They never learned to use a computer or had a cell phone, so missed out on a lot of opportunities to connect with their only grandchild. From microwaves to VCRs to digital cameras, they just said no. 

Now unfortunately they are getting old and less active, it would be nice if they had some of these items to ease life and entertain themselves, but it is a lot more difficult to learn their use when they are that old and have never used them.

One thing I took away from this is not ever to be that person who says "What do I need that for? I've gotten along with it so far..."

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

One thing I took away from this is not ever to be that person who says "What do I need that for? I've gotten along with it so far..."

Ditto. In my mid70s now and a tad slower to pick up on new things. But the young people are always willing to help me out.

2 hours ago, clo said:

Ditto. In my mid70s now and a tad slower to pick up on new things. But the young people are always willing to help me out.

It has certainly helped that for the last year I've worked remotely from home side by side with my very own millennial tech consultant aka my son. 🤣

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, clo said:

I retired in my 50’s.That was a very wise decision for me as if I waited till my 70’s or later I might have more money but less time to enjoy life.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

One thing I took away from this is not ever to be that person who says "What do I need that for? I've gotten along with it so far..

This has been my thinking for quite some time regarding a smart phone.  My Consumer Cellular flip phone serves my current needs quite well.  But, with the "talk" about apps that may be needed to travel and/or to show one's vaccination status....well, my flip phone can't deal with that type of technology.  

Really am considering that now is the time to do some "learning" about smart phones and do some shopping before I may be forced into making a rushed decision concerning a phone.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, clo said:

Aside from being a tremendous source of hugs, grandchildren are patient tech advisers, and willing smoke alarm battery replacers -----  they finally justify my earlier decision to have children.

40 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Aside from being a tremendous source of hugs, grandchildren are patient tech advisers, and willing smoke alarm battery replacers -----  they finally justify my earlier decision to have children.

My oldest grand is only 9 so we probably have a little time left. But our kids are adept and help...when I can figure out what I don't understand 🙂 

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

If I have any kind of problem with any kind of electronic device I call upon my grandkids.

1 hour ago, gooch47 said:

Some day we need to figure out how to convert our alarm system to use a cellular phone.  That is the only reason we keep our land line.

Have you tried googling that? 

10 hours ago, clo said:

Have you tried googling that? 

Google may not be helpful.  It depends on the requirements of the alarm company and how they have set up their customer contact conduits.

We were told by the security company to keep our landline as the more reliable way for them to receive fire, smoke, CO and theft reports from our address.

12 hours ago, gooch47 said:

Some day we need to figure out how to convert our alarm system to use a cellular phone.  That is the only reason we keep our land line.

Your alarm company may have a internet and/or micro cell adapter for you.

Essentially the adapter will connect your alarm system to your internet or use the micro cell. A micro cell is a low powered cellphone; it's good as a backup if the bad guys cut your internet cable.

New alarm system installs generally go this way now. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, evandbob said:

We were told by the security company to keep our landline as the more reliable way for them to receive fire, smoke, CO and theft reports from our address.

2 hours ago, Philob said:

A micro cell is a low powered cellphone; it's good as a backup if the bad guys cut your internet cable.

I'll add that if your internet or telephone lines are from overhead lines, in most homes the wires will be going to a central point. The bad guys could cut all the wires before going into your house.

Edited by Philob

16 hours ago, gooch47 said:

Call the alarm company that monitors your system.  I am sure that they know.

DON

I'm sure we could get it done, just not terribly motivated at this point.

Funny thing. Some years ago they had to run a new line from the box t o the house.  Left the old one connected, or at least it looks like it is.  The new one is hidden under our deck.  So thieves would probably cut the wrong one.

On 4/14/2021 at 5:54 PM, gooch47 said:

It might already use cellular as a back up!   I'm kinda joking, but actually would not be surprised.