Would you buy me a postcard? Hypothetical Question.

Esso11

20 minutes ago, Ashland said:

We've seen them in many ports just off the ship as you go through terminals.

We've gotten several and mailed them to our adult kids in different ports. One of their favorites was from St Petersburg and signed it "From Russia With Love"

My late brother in law was a post card collector.One day about 30 years ago I went with him to a post card auction.People bid large amounts for old cards.My BIL bought a closed box of cards and gave me a few that date back to the early 1900’s.These were posts cards that had messages on them.After reading them I became a postcard collector. I have postcards that were sent to me by friends,relatives and co-workers.I also have post cards that I sent to my late parents.I have these in albums,several hundred cards.In addition I have about 500 cards that I bought that are in mint condition .

• Like 1

On 4/16/2021 at 9:13 PM, lenquixote66 said:

What happens to people who do not have smart phones ?

We are in steerage?

Your menu choices for the day are Bread and Water or watery gruel.  

On 4/17/2021 at 2:48 PM, clo said:

I've never used them because I've read that the restaurants pay A LOT and figure they're in rough enough shape anyway.

That is the precise reason why I do not use these new delivery meal services.  The bottom line for the restaurants that I would desire to patronize is significantly affected.  The restaurants margins are narrow enough!

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

We are in steerage?

Your menu choices for the day are Bread and Water or watery gruel.  

That is right before they chain you to the oars. 

15 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

That is the precise reason why I do not use these new delivery meal services.  The bottom line for the restaurants that I would desire to patronize is significantly affected.  The restaurants margins are narrow enough!

I bet if you asked the restaurant owner, they would prefer 1) you come to the store, then 2) use the app.  I doubt that any would say not using the app is desirable.   

I've noticed is prices are up considerably from where they were before.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ldubs said:

I bet if you asked the restaurant owner, they would prefer 1) you come to the store, then 2) use the app.  I doubt that any would say not using the app is desirable.   

I've noticed is prices are up considerably from where they were before.  

And more inflation to come everywhere!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SelectSys said:

And more inflation to come everywhere!  

The only way the current (and contemplated future) spending programs can take place is by massively increasing deficits - which essentially mans simply printing money.  A good idea to borrow money now at fixed rates - and avoid investing in any fixed rate securities.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

The only way the current (and contemplated future) spending programs can take place is by massively increasing deficits - which essentially mans simply printing money.  A good idea to borrow money now at fixed rates - and avoid investing in any fixed rate securities.

Yes - bonds are likely to get crushed along with stocks.  Could be we are heading back to the 70's.

3 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

A good idea to borrow money now at fixed rates - and avoid investing in any fixed rate securities.

As one who has a large $$ CD that has been paying significantly more than what its rate would be rolled into coming due in the next few days, what to do?  My financial adviser and I have been in contact.  Thought about putting some $$ in Moderna.  Their current financials aren't really great.  My adviser agreed with me that this "may be a train that has left the station" for a senior investor.  As a "bet" for a younger investor?  Ought to be considered.  

Oh, to be young again for so many reasons!

23 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Might not be good for brick and mortar restaurants but they do have some great virtual restaurants that make the apps worth it 🤗

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

As one who has a large $$ CD that has been paying significantly more than what its rate would be rolled into coming due in the next few days, what to do?  My financial adviser and I have been in contact.  Thought about putting some $$ in Moderna.  Their current financials aren't really great.  My adviser agreed with me that this "may be a train that has left the station" for a senior investor.  As a "bet" for a younger investor?  Ought to be considered.  

Oh, to be young again for so many reasons!

Edited by navybankerteacher
Missed material.

10 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Thinking about equities now with markets at an all time (quite possibly irrational) high takes some guts. Of course, the minimal interest rates drive people away from debt — but how long will that last?

Recalling the old adage that the difference between your age and 100 suggests the percentage of your holdings to have in equities.  Anyway, long term fixed interest securities are a trap - so the options seem to be floating rate debt, commodities (gold and silver are likely to do well in an inflationary period), or laddered short term CD’s, to roll over as rates climb.

Edited by navybankerteacher
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, ldubs said:

Well, of course, they'd rather you use one of the apps than not getting food from them. But we would drive there and tip HUGE.

Other than, provided I can find someone selling them, why wouldn’t you do it, it’s not that big an ask and if I don’t see you to give it to you, get the money etc, what am I out, like maybe $1 or 2.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2021 at 3:51 PM, Esso11 said:

😀 Hi! Hypothetical question.  If I was a solo cruiser on board your cruise and due to disability I found it difficult or impossible to disembark at ports of call,  would you do me a favour and buy me a few postcards as a souvenir of my trip? I'd pay for them and I wouldn't want them posted, they're for taking home. 

Thanks for your replies.  Sharon  🌻🌻🌻

I haven't read the whole thread so it may have been said already.

I certainly would be very happy to buy a postcard or two in every port for you as it would give me the excuse to chat to the local shopkeepers, something I like to do.

Also I see absolutely no reason not too. 

• Like 2