Cruise tours or tracking devices?

ilikeanswers

I've noticed that quite a few posters have vented their frustration at the idea of been forced to have only cruise line provided tours if they wish to go ashore. Some destinations have suggested that as an alternative if passangers were willing to have some sort of tracking device so they can contact trace in case of infection cruise passengers could freely explore a destination. Would that be a good alternative or do you feel it would be too intrusive?

Edited by ilikeanswers

• ilikeanswers changed the title to Cruise tours or tracking devices?
9 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I've noticed that quite a few posters have vented their frustration at the idea of been forced to have only cruise line provided tours if they wish to go ashore. Some destinations have suggested that as an alternative if passangers were willing to have some sort of tracking device so they can contact trace in case of infection cruise passengers could freely explore a destination. Would that be a good alternative or do you feel it would be too intrusive?

Which destinations have suggested that approach?

13 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

Which destinations have suggested that approach?

Mostly in Asia with Japan, Taiwan and Singapore. Though currently Thailand does require all tourists to download a tracking app on their phone. 

Edited by ilikeanswers

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

I would take that alternative in a heartbeat. 

I would also. I've long ago accepted that we have little privacy and honestly I guess I'm boring cause I really don't care if people know where I am, etc.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Depending on the where, I would likely agree to either approach.  However, I seriously doubt the mandatory excursions will be happening in the future.  My guess is by the time widespread cruising is allowed again, there will be no need.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Depending on the where, I would likely agree to either approach.  However, I seriously doubt the mandatory excursions will be happening in the future.  My guess is by the time widespread cruising is allowed again, there will be no need.  

Hopefully you are correct. But if not, I'm perfectly willing for them to see I've been to the archaeological site and museum possibly with a nice lunch stop. Nothing nefarious, moving along...

• Like 3

Certainly no problem with being tracked while traveling — and, come to think about it, it has been quite a while since I have been doing stuff which would make me to want to have no one know where I was.

Yes, privacy is a good thing - but losing a bit of it might be a fair trade off for being able to do what I want.

• Thanks 1

Absolutely would welcome tracking in lieu of mandatory ship excursions (which are a deal breaker for me).

I sincerely hope that European cruise itineraries consider the tracking alternative.

Edited by dogs4fun
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, c-boy said:

I don't take a phone ashore, so nope that's not for me. 

No worries, you can get the optional tracking chip implanted in your forehead.  I'm sure you'll actually be able to get one with the Cruise Critic logo stamped on it.  😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, c-boy said:

I don't take a phone ashore, so nope that's not for me. 

Maybe it could be a one or the other type scenario - if you want to do a non-cruise tour, you need to have some kind of device to track you...otherwise, you're welcomed to do a cruise tour. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Zach1213 said:

Maybe it could be a one or the other type scenario - if you want to do a non-cruise tour, you need to have some kind of device to track you...otherwise, you're welcomed to do a cruise tour. 

I would go with a tracking medallion if provided by the ship. 

22 minutes ago, c-boy said:

I would go with a tracking medallion if provided by the ship. 

Hey, to each their own. I hate wearing things around my wrist, even a watch, so the idea of having something extra (assuming that's where it goes) sounds awful to me. If I could keep it in a pocket or around a backpack, that's fine. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zach1213 said:

Hey, to each their own. I hate wearing things around my wrist, even a watch, so the idea of having something extra (assuming that's where it goes) sounds awful to me. If I could keep it in a pocket or around a backpack, that's fine. 

ya, I'm just not kewl with down loading a special app and taking my cell phone ashore.

• Like 1

The "bubble" concept currently being used by MSC (and others) in Europe keeps the passengers separate from people ashore who might carry the virus.  Their tracking devices tell them (if needed) that Joe spent time near Jan, etc.

If I go ashore without an excursion bubble, but wearing a tracking device, and interact with local shopkeepers, pedestrians, taxi drivers, bartenders who do not have a tracking device, what good does it do?

I'm not sure I get the concept.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

The "bubble" concept currently being used by MSC (and others) in Europe keeps the passengers separate from people ashore who might carry the virus.  Their tracking devices tell them (if needed) that Joe spent time near Jan, etc.

If I go ashore without an excursion bubble, but wearing a tracking device, and interact with local shopkeepers, pedestrians, taxi drivers, bartenders who do not have a tracking device, what good does it do?

I'm not sure I get the concept.

I have puzzled over this one myself many times since it was first announced. Even when one goes ashore WITH a "bubble" and a tracking device....

First let me say that I have never seen anything official mandating that ships use these "bubble" excursions from any regulatory authority in Europe and as best as I have been able to track down (I can read Italian which covers many of the MSC and Costa materials, for example), I have only seen vague allusions that these are required (by whom?) for tracking purposes.

It is certainly NOT specifically mentioned in the CDC framework either. Of course, if anyone has knowledge of and can post something definitive, I'd love to see it.

As you point out, this makes some sense if the only goal is to track interactions with other shipmates. MSC will know about Joe and Jan and can act appropriately.

But in what regard does it help the city or location that is visited?  I suppose that they could track people to the extent of saying something like "Oh Jan tested positive for COVID, now let's see -- she took the Pompeii excursion in Naples, we'll have to let them know."  

And....who exactly would they share that info with?  What good would it do to say that a single person from a shorex who tested positive for COVID three days later was at Pompeii on a certain Tuesday afternoon -- with what, thousands of other people? (Okay, maybe only hundreds now, with COVID...but still it seems like a pointless exercise as I cannot imagine the authorities at Pompeii are retaining the names and contact info of every visitor to the site on that particular afternoon...)

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

And....who exactly would they share that info with?  What good would it do to say that a single person from a shorex who tested positive for COVID three days later was at Pompeii on a certain Tuesday afternoon -- with what, thousands of other people? (Okay, maybe only hundreds now, with COVID...but still it seems like a pointless exercise as I cannot imagine the authorities at Pompeii are retaining the names and contact info of every visitor to the site on that particular afternoon...)

I can only guess on previous apps but  I would assume it would be a government app and if it is anything like in Australia you would have to "check in" to any site and business🤔

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

I can only guess on previous apps but  I would assume it would be a government app and if it is anything like in Australia you would have to "check in" to any site and business🤔

Here in West Australia we use our State contact tracing App. Every business has a code you have to register on via the App. If you don't have the App or, as I have done, forget your phone you are required to sign in name and contact details at the front of the business.

It proved very helpful a few weeks ago when a hotel quarantine worker got infected with the UK variant a month ago and we shut down completely for a week then gradual opening over the next week. The young man had used the App and so the call went out for people in all the areas he had visited to get tested. Which happened with many thousands of people getting tested. Thankfully no other cases were found.

I don't find it a hassle and it makes us feel safer.

• Thanks 1

I can’t imagine what benefit there is in tracking for this situation.   How does it prevent Covid from getting onto a ship which can act as a vector, carrying infection from port to port.  And how does it benefit the locals? 

It sounds like a half baked idea dreamed up by someone in love with technology.   On the other hand bubble shore excursions maintain a protective social distance between the traveler and the population 

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

On the other hand bubble shore excursions maintain a protective social distance between the traveler and the population 

That is precisely the part I can't figure.

How many shore excursions don't have a restroom stop?  Are they all less than 2-3 hours in length?  If not, where in the world would they identify private restrooms not used by others in places like Rome or Florence or Copenhagen?  Maybe they make arrangements with a hotel that is otherwise closed due to COVID?  

And do these "bubble" shore excursions mean that places like museums or sites like Pompeii are going to be off limits?  Because I can't see any possible way to keep a group of 15? 20? at a distance of at least 6 feet away from all other visitors. And these major museums and sites are not going to open only for a couple groups of cruise ship passengers...

My mom did a little tour guiding after retirement, just for the travel opportunity. Even small groups of people head off in different directions. Trying to keep tabs on everyone actually IN the group and ensure they do not come within a safe distance of anyone NOT in the group seems like an impossible challenge. Maybe if extra helpers from the ship come along (at least 2 per group) to do the extra "herding".  Maybe.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

That is precisely the part I can't figure.

How many shore excursions don't have a restroom stop?  Are they all less than 2-3 hours in length?  If not, where in the world would they identify private restrooms not used by others in places like Rome or Florence or Copenhagen?  Maybe they make arrangements with a hotel that is otherwise closed due to COVID?  

And do these "bubble" shore excursions mean that places like museums or sites like Pompeii are going to be off limits?  Because I can't see any possible way to keep a group of 15? 20? at a distance of at least 6 feet away from all other visitors. And these major museums and sites are not going to open only for a couple groups of cruise ship passengers...

My mom did a little tour guiding after retirement, just for the travel opportunity. Even small groups of people head off in different directions. Trying to keep tabs on everyone actually IN the group and ensure they do not come within a safe distance of anyone NOT in the group seems like an impossible challenge. Maybe if extra helpers from the ship come along (at least 2 per group) to do the extra "herding".  Maybe.

I can only speculate.  Our museums have been open for a long while now.  You have to have a reservation and only a certain number of people are allowed in at a time.  The same is done for zoos and ,for a while, even popular jogging trails.  I can at least see how it is managed and the purpose behind the management.   Tracking on the other hand serves no real purpose in this transient situation, it is simply data collecting.  I don't understand it. 

By time you and I travel next year it will be different again so I am not spending too much time worrying about it.