The View From Inside

jetsfan58

Hey Cruise Nuts how goes it? I saw a brief writing this past weekend regarding the concerns of my favorite cabins (those inside dimly lit isolated spaces). The article mentioned that due to the Covid crisis, many cruisers are having "second thoughts" about reserving these cabins. As a result, these cabins are being overlooked and their availability is becoming quite abundant. I certainly understand their concerns of possibly having to be "quarantined" (God Forbid) in the case of an unforeseen outbreak onboard. Those passengers that suffer from mild "claustrophobia" or those unknowing first time cruisers that were somehow coerced to try these cabins, hopefully will survive the ordeal and make it through. While this topic does in fact present a very valid inquiry, I personally will still be cruising my old favorite "Inside With a Non View to the Outside" cabins.   

Somehow if we remain patient, remain consistent in our mask wearing practices, wash our paws, and get those all important doses when available in our age and occupation brackets, we might just be able to avoid this "Complex" issue of not having enough alternate cabins and having too many "insiders".  

As always, your grand and transparent thoughts are greatly appreciated. Inside or Outside "What's You View?"

For my ten day I booked inside and paid a premium for lido deck due to 4 sea days.i booked 2 cabins on a 4 day 1 balcony and an inside again lido deck because of only one port day and the convenience of the cabin near by.no decisions were made because of covid.i actually booked the ten day before covid.we always get insides but I figure we probably won't cruise any more after the 4 day so I got a balcony for the wife and I and the youngest grandson .I figured it would suck for him to have to hangout with me and his grandma so I booked an inside for his 2 brothers to come along too.personally I've lived through worse  than covid to give a flip about it.im more worried about bad drivers and all the criminals/degenerates running loose amongst us in our ever changing world.

55 minutes ago, pris993 said:

I have never booked an inside and would never in the future, Covid has nothing to do with it.  I just like fresh air, so prefer a balcony to boot.

I'm kinda curious how going out to your balcony is different than going 'outside.' Cause of course you can't have the door open.

6 hours ago, clo said:

I'm kinda curious how going out to your balcony is different than going 'outside.' Cause of course you can't have the door open.

I guess it depends on what you can and can't do if you are quarantined to your cabin. If you can't leave your cabin then being stuck in an inside would be an ordeal for many (I would have a difficult time with it, if it lasted too long). At least with a balcony you can sit outside for fresh air whenever you choose, so even if you can leave your inside cabin for a certain amount of time you are still cooped up most of the time if you are quarantined. (And if they say you can't sit on your balcony during quarantine that would of course be different.) 

We are splurging and testing our first cruises. Since we have not been, I am considering a cruise similar to our trips at Disney World. The cabin is a place to sleep, shower, and a few other S's, that's it. The rest of my time would be spent relaxing and enjoying a port or fun spot on the ship having a cocktail with entertainment. 

We have a inside cabin on Mardi Gras in July (don't expect it to go but hoping). We have a Lido balcony on Magic in November (better luck on this one sailing). We have a balcony on NCL Joy in April 2022. Which ever becomes our first, we will know whether a balcony is required or not.

Pre COVID I would generally book an inside cabin if I was sailing solo. PreCovid as a couple we only booked balconies.

Post COVID, I would only book a balcony JIC of any complications that may require mandatory cabin occupancy. Solo or Duo doesn't matter, now only balcony bookings.

• Like 1

Probably a stupid question, but if you are on a cruise and everyone has to quarantine in their cabins, are you allowed on your balcony, if you have one? Do you get set times so you don't balcony mingle with your neighbours and the possibility of covid spreading from one balcony to the other?  What about interconnecting cabins, if you have friends / relatives next door, are you allowed to go through and visit them during quarantine, or are the interconnecting doors locked shut by the cruise line?  

16 minutes ago, gerryuk said:

Probably a stupid question, but if you are on a cruise and everyone has to quarantine in their cabins, are you allowed on your balcony, if you have one? Do you get set times so you don't balcony mingle with your neighbours and the possibility of covid spreading from one balcony to the other?  What about interconnecting cabins, if you have friends / relatives next door, are you allowed to go through and visit them during quarantine, or are the interconnecting doors locked shut by the cruise line?  

And how about if someone's children are in the adjoining cabin or possibly across the hall?

12 hours ago, clo said:

We spend more time on our balcony then in public areas on the ship, don't like crowds and like fresh air. We do keep balcony door open while outside.

6 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

I guess it depends on what you can and can't do if you are quarantined to your cabin. If you can't leave your cabin then being stuck in an inside would be an ordeal for many (I would have a difficult time with it, if it lasted too long). At least with a balcony you can sit outside for fresh air whenever you choose, so even if you can leave your inside cabin for a certain amount of time you are still cooped up most of the time if you are quarantined. (And if they say you can't sit on your balcony during quarantine that would of course be different.) 

Oh, sorry, I didn't know this was quarantine related, just general.

37 minutes ago, pris993 said:

We spend more time on our balcony then in public areas on the ship, don't like crowds and like fresh air. We do keep balcony door open while outside.

I thought that was a no-no. That it can mess up the heating/cooling for multiple cabins. ??

4 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

We are splurging and testing our first cruises. Since we have not been, I am considering a cruise similar to our trips at Disney World. The cabin is a place to sleep, shower, and a few other S's, that's it. The rest of my time would be spent relaxing and enjoying a port or fun spot on the ship having a cocktail with entertainment. 

We have a inside cabin on Mardi Gras in July (don't expect it to go but hoping). We have a Lido balcony on Magic in November (better luck on this one sailing). We have a balcony on NCL Joy in April 2022. Which ever becomes our first, we will know whether a balcony is required or not.

Welcome to our Wild Wild World Of Cruising. I am an Inside type of Cruiser. I like saving money and after all we do all arrive at the same location at the same time. It really doesn't matter what the Cabin configuration just enjoy the Voyage.  

I love that anything these days can be attributed to COVID. Doesn't matter if there's any fact or not. What would COVID have to do with certain rooms not being booked?

I've done enough balconies, and while they are nice, I will be staying away. I don't want to spend hundreds or more to look out of my balcony. The best memories of a cruise are not in the room. While relaxing the sea is, those views can also be had all over the place. Often, in far more comfortable areas. I've not yet made the correlation that sitting there in the morning, with a donut, is worth that much.

What will be interesting, is what rooms are available if capacity is limited. Is it only balcony? Is it mostly balcony? What type of impact does this have on the (starting) fare? I certainly will not pay through the nose to be "safe with a balcony in case of quarantine". If there is going to be risk of these quarantines, I simply will not cruise. While 10 quarantine days on a balcony is better than 10 quarantine days in an interior, it is still torture. If you asked me if I would rather get kicked in the junk or in the stomach, I would find a way to avoid getting kicked in either.

55 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

I love that anything these days can be attributed to COVID. Doesn't matter if there's any fact or not. What would COVID have to do with certain rooms not being booked?

I've done enough balconies, and while they are nice, I will be staying away. I don't want to spend hundreds or more to look out of my balcony. The best memories of a cruise are not in the room. While relaxing the sea is, those views can also be had all over the place. Often, in far more comfortable areas. I've not yet made the correlation that sitting there in the morning, with a donut, is worth that much.

What will be interesting, is what rooms are available if capacity is limited. Is it only balcony? Is it mostly balcony? What type of impact does this have on the (starting) fare? I certainly will not pay through the nose to be "safe with a balcony in case of quarantine". If there is going to be risk of these quarantines, I simply will not cruise. While 10 quarantine days on a balcony is better than 10 quarantine days in an interior, it is still torture. If you asked me if I would rather get kicked in the junk or in the stomach, I would find a way to avoid getting kicked in either.

Cruisers might be hesitant to book interior cabins because of the possibility of being locked in it in quarantine for most of the cruise. As you say, being quarantined on a balcony is better than in an interior. Of course that is a fear that people have and it will rule most people's decisions until enough data is available to change their mind (in this case they will have had to see enough cruises being completed with no issues before they would consider an interior). As cruising gets started up again there are a lot of unknowns so people will have to decide with insufficient data. (And as for risk of quarantine on a cruise it's always been present, it just didn't happen frequently enough to make it onto most people's radar.)

2 hours ago, clo said:

I thought that was a no-no. That it can mess up the heating/cooling for multiple cabins. ??

Yes, I believe @chengkp75 has posted and explained that several times in the past.(Though I do not remember reading about that recently.)

3 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Yes, I believe @chengkp75 has posted and explained that several times in the past.(Though I do not remember reading about that recently.)

Thanks. I've never really figured out how to search here. But, yes, he gives the straight skinny on that. And now maybe he'll repeat.

I prefer inside cabins -- better pricing for a solo and I don't spend time in my cabin either. Some do, and that's great for them. I've been in a balcony cabin where I honestly only went outside a couple of times over the entire cruise. I'd rather be outside on a shaded deck in a more comfortable lounge chair, reading and watching the waves and the passersby.

I'm not worried about quarantine. I would think by the time I am on a cruise ship again the likelihood of that happening is slim. And even if it does happen, I am fine with that -- not to the level of a Diamond Princess confinement, maybe, but again I have to doubt that will be a recurring issue. The new model seems to be to offload passengers as soon as feasible and quarantine them ashore.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, clo said:

Wife opens the balcony door as soon as she wakes up and keeps it open for hours. Always has the door wide open when she is getting ready for the day or evening dinner. I have been slammed by Bob for always keeping the door open when he was posting. Not only the fresh air but the sound of the waves hitting the ship.  All this weather permitting. 

5 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

I have been slammed by Bob for always keeping the door open when he was posting.

Who is Bob? 

Here is @chengkp75 explanation.