The View From Inside

jetsfan58

Just now, getting older slowly said:

Could end up an Open and Closed case....... lol...............enough said... time to move on

Thanks - you just made me spew my soda all over my screen!  😆

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

So back to inside cabins.... and   people like them because they are cheap and don't spend much time in them.......  or is it,  they don't spend time in them because it is an inside cabin ?????

Not the first time I've heard this and I find it kind of condescending. Are you suggesting I've never stayed in a balcony cabin and thus "don't know what I'm missing"?   :classic_dry:  

I've cruised in all kinds of accommodations except top-level suites. Inside, OV, Balcony, mini-suite, even once a "single suite"!  And I found that I just don't use the balcony.  Some people don't go on vacation to sit in their room or on their balcony alone. I want to feel and see the excitement of others onboard. I want to have a more panoramic view than a balcony allows. I want to be in an area that is spacious and nicely decorated, not in a confined room. 

It's the same on land. I'm not gonna sit in a hotel room. I'd be in the lobby or on the terrace (much easier now wifi is nearly everywhere). 

Isn't it just possible to believe that we are all different and smart enough to know what we like and need?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Not the first time I've heard this and I find it kind of condescending. Are you suggesting I've never stayed in a balcony cabin and thus "don't know what I'm missing"?   :classic_dry:  

I was not trying to be condescending... I was asking as a general question.....

Also how could I suggest or know if you had not stayed in a cabin with a balcony ?

and this thread is about the view from inside......

As a couple of people I know always in an inside cabin.....

One says.... because they can only sleep in a dark room,  and the other   is cost driven...   has been on cruises.... only had what was included... so OBC was zero......( one way to do it )

But this is only 2 people .....   and the only suggestion for getting an inside bought up so far .. are what i stated.........     Each to their own.....      but not for this little duck. 

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

You of course mean 2023. It is quite unlikely that cruising will resume in 2021.All the mail and e-mail I receive daily are for 2022 and 2023.

yes, typo, actually meant 2022  Who knows maybe 2023 if California does not open up, LOL. 

21 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Isn't it just possible to believe that we are all different and smart enough to know what we like and need?

Bingo!  I also find the ambiance outside the cabin to be preferable. Others seem to like to spend most of their time in the cabin, basically surfacing for mealtimes.   And of course everything between whatever the two extremes are.   

3 hours ago, clo said:

That's my conservative thought. We have a cruise booked for 9/22 but I'm completely comfortable that we may need to cancel due to ongoing COVID issues.

I have many neighbors who are avid cruisers and none have booked for cruises in 2021 or 2022.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Unless it is a German company I wonder how many cruise line CEOs know the technical ins and outs of their ships😂

Oh, generally it gets referred to a manager who DOES have the info.

On 3/5/2021 at 12:31 PM, clo said:

I assume you mean the head of maintenance.

It shouldn't be the head of maintenance, they should check with the Chief Engineer onboard. I know that many would consider to be the "head of maintenance" but that position is much more than that. I've read what a chief engineer has had to say about this (and he's been linked in this thread) and that's good enough for me. And I do recall seeing a notice on every balcony door we've had saying to keep it closed.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

It shouldn't be the head of maintenance, they should check with the Chief Engineer onboard. I know that many would consider to be the "head of maintenance" but that position is much more than that. I've read what a chief engineer has had to say about this (and he's been linked in this thread) and that's good enough for me. And I do recall seeing a notice on every balcony door we've had saying to keep it closed.

Thanks. I just made up that job and you're corrrect.

• Like 1

I'm booked in a boardwalk balcony for August 2021 (if we're sailing). I'd booked it before Covid, though.

I book different cabins depending on the cruise, the duration, the money, lots of things. August is my birthday, so that was a factor. I booked an aft balcony for NYE just because I could get one at an OK-ish price. I'd usually consider a balcony for a long cruise, but I booked a good inside for a 14-day next year with the intention of bidding on an upgrade if/when they offer it. Worst-case scenario, I have a good inside. I'm OK with that, but if I can get a balcony, even a bad one, that'll be better, I guess? We'll see. Oceanviews and balconies are as much about having an easier time to dry swimsuits or sink laundry than anything else, frankly. I'm usually on deck, not in my cabin.

InsIde or Outside Cabins..

Has now lead to :-

The use of cabin..... sleeping and storage   or a place to retreat from the madding crowd 

The drying of garments...... 

If one has a door... can you open and close it at will.... and even leave it open for extended periods  

Trying to sit of the fence.... it is simply a preference.... a personal choice.....

Each group.... have an interest in why the other group do what they do.....

Looking at cruise lines...only really the mass market line offer inside cabins...

( of course there are some exceptions ..partly due to older design ships )

A lot of cruise lines use the balcony in the marketing  all cabins have them, or a large percentage have them ... as a way of saying they are desirable......

So each to their own.......     so enjoy your next cruise whenever that will be... 

Hi, One of the reasons we prefer an inside room is because I am not a good sailor and a mid ship, lower inside is a more stable room, especially in rough seas.  We do sleep in a dark, cool, room at home.  We keep the temp down on the ship as well.  I've been on over 25 cruises, and don't miss a balcony, although we have tried it.  I never let the cruise company choose my location as I want other cabins above me and not anything noisy. Just my preference and my husband is happy with that as well. Nicole

12 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

InsIde or Outside Cabins..

Has now lead to :-

The use of cabin..... sleeping and storage   or a place to retreat from the madding crowd 

The drying of garments...... 

If one has a door... can you open and close it at will.... and even leave it open for extended periods  

Trying to sit of the fence.... it is simply a preference.... a personal choice.....

Each group.... have an interest in why the other group do what they do.....

Looking at cruise lines...only really the mass market line offer inside cabins...

( of course there are some exceptions ..partly due to older design ships )

A lot of cruise lines use the balcony in the marketing  all cabins have them, or a large percentage have them ... as a way of saying they are desirable......

So each to their own.......     so enjoy your next cruise whenever that will be... 

Leaving a balcony door open is more than preference or personal choice, it puts a strain on the ship's systems and affects the near by cabins.

• Like 1