Kowloon Shangri-La or Sheraton Hotel & Towers

Newbury newbie

Looking for advice. First time in Hong Kong (hopefully) next February when we travel out to join a cruise ship there. We’re planning to have 3 nights in Kowloon before boarding the ship, and being a bucket list destination happy to splash out a bit on this part. So, I was looking for a nice hotel with harbour view rooms and also access to club lounge facilities. While I’m accepting that this will all work out a fair bit more than we would generally pay for a hotel, I want to get this right. Right now I’m undecided between the Shangri-La or the Sheraton Hotel & Towers. Both are similar in price with the Sheraton slightly more. I’d say the Sheraton possibly had the better harbour/skyline view and position while the Shangri-La looks nicer inside and a higher TA rating. 

Can people comment on which to go for, please? Or share their experience. Also, we’re still open to other hotels with views and club rooms costing around £300 a night, say. 

Both of these hotels are in good spots with the Sheraton a tad little closer to all the action being right on Nathan Road (main street in Kowloon) and Salisbury Road. The Peninsula is right across the street and walking down Salisbury Road will take you to the Star Ferry. There are shops, malls, MRT stations underneath the hotel. Shangri-la Kowloon is in what they called East Tsim Sha Tsui area a little away from the main drag but there are shops and restaurants nearby also. It's easy to get around in Hong Kong if you don't mind the walking but personally I would pick Sheraton just for the convenience of it. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We've stayed at both the Kowloon Shangri-la & the Salisbury.

Don't know the Sheraton.

The Shangri-la is separated from the harbour only by a road and promenade (Avenue of Stars). The harbour-view rooms have a wall-to-wall & floor-to-ceiling panoramic window. No complaints at all, except the prices - that includes the restaurant, the bar, even the mini-bar, so we never spent a penny in the hotel.

It's only a short walk to Nathan Road, and a 12 to 15-minute walk to the Star Ferry terminal. 

Since you're keen to splash-out, I doubt that Philob will be able to persuade you to consider the Salisbury, even with my help.

But I'll try..........................

Undoubtedly best-located and best-value hotel in Tsim Sha Tsui.

In the heart of the action, 4 minutes from the Star Ferry &, in the opposite direction, 2 minutes from Nathan Road. HK's best hotel, the Peninsula (the one with a fleet of Rolls-Royces), is right next-door.

Excellent hotel facilities including pool, fitness centre & sensibly-priced restaurant (super breakfast).

Rooms are well-equipped and very acceptable .Harbour-view rooms are on the 11th floor upwards because of the Space Museum opposite.

In normal times the Salisbury books out early.

You could do a lot worse than choosing the Salisbury & using the savings to book an extra night or two.

https://www.booking.com/hotel/hk/salisbury.en-gb.html?label=gen173nr-1FCAEoggI46AdIM1gEaFCIAQGYAQm4ARfIAQzYAQHoAQH4AQuIAgGoAgO4AoCKq4EGwAIB0gIkZTYzODRmNjAtMjk4ZC00ZWFiLWIyOGUtMzhiMjAwNzRmZDRk2AIG4AIB;sid=4a074654ba5c5732bfdf68ed14f20b8e;age=5;dest_id=-1353149;dest_type=city;dist=0;group_adults=2;group_children=1;hapos=1;hpos=1;map=1;no_rooms=1;req_adults=2;req_age=5;req_children=1;room1=A%2CA%2C5;sb_price_type=total;sr_order=popularity;srepoch=1618193081;srpvid=672c0e9c985803b9;type=total;ucfs=1&#map_closed

The nightly harbour laser show needs its music to be appreciated.

The Salisbury has in-room radio (almost-certainly the others do too) - ask at reception how to tune it to the radio station which broadcasts the music synchronised with the show.

Great destination, a favourite of mine.

JB 🙂