Employee Wages

28 minutes ago, bmill7272 said:

what money is paid by a cruise line to the person who takes care of a basic stateroom?

Each employee has an individual contract with the cruise line and the pay varies. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bmill7272 said:

Not interested in the gratuity, or room & board a stateroom attendant might get, but

what money is paid by a cruise line to the person who takes care of a basic stateroom?

Are you applying for a job? That would be the best way to find out.  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, bmill7272 said:

Not interested in the gratuity, or room & board a stateroom attendant might get, but

the room stewards average 900-1200 USD per month. A basic pay of $50 a month and another $850-1150 a month from gratuities.

Similarly waiters average 1800 USD a month.

Bartenders average 2800 to 4000 USD per month including gratuities and extra cash tips.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Always important to note that while this could be crummy money for a western country, it can be pretty good for the staff's home country.

Also important to note that they work long shifts for seven days a week.  Many send most of their entire pay back home to support their families, including children, whom they will not see for months on end.  

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Also important to note that they work long shifts for seven days a week.  Many send most of their entire pay back home to support their families, including children, whom they will not see for months on end.  

They do. I surely wouldn't want to work the 8 months on/4 months off shift they do, but I appreciate them for doing it.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

They do. I surely wouldn't want to work the 8 months on/4 months off shift they do, but I appreciate them for doing it.

I've worked so to speak, a worse job, longer hours and the pay was horrible. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

Always important to note that while this could be crummy money for a western country, it can be pretty good for the staff's home country.

Add free room and board, reimbursement of airfare upon contract completion, a chance to learn a  marketable trade and see the world. Better than flipping burgers at McD if you can hack the long working days and time away from home.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, NateUpNorth said:

Perhaps they're doing their research before going through that process? If so I applaud the effort!

They should try Glass Door. It's a sight that rates jobs/companies from existing and former employees. I wouldn't expect cruise passengers to know the answers to salary questions. 

6 hours ago, bmill7272 said:

Just curious, how much money do you make, and would you like to disclose it?  Would you tell me also, how you manage it, do you send it home to someone?  How much do you spend on activities on your time off? Do you share any with your girlfriend, or pay for your parents?

Edited by Joseph2017China
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, drsel said:

the room stewards average 900-1200 USD per month. A basic pay of $50 a month and another $850-1150 a month from gratuities.

Bartenders average 2800 to 4000 USD per month including gratuities and extra cash tips.

$4000 USD per month is HUGE money for the many filipono staff considering the  average income below.

2021-03-04_103517.jpg

Edited by brad_p
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, brad_p said:

$4000 USD per month is HUGE money for the many filipono staff considering the  average income below.

2021-03-04_103517.jpg

We talked to a bartender on Symphony who came from a Hilton Hotel in India. He said he made under $300 per month in India and is now making much more than that per week.  He misses his family but could never go back to a job in India. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, drsel said:

Can you validate that base rate or is that’s your guess or did one of the crew tell you that to entice an extra tip? I don’t buy that $50 a month for a second. Most work twelve hours a day, seven days a week. 84 hours a week times 4 weeks is 336 hours a month $50 a month dived by 336 equals $.15 an hour without time an one half or double time. I’m not including tips. Don’t even mention room and board and other things provided them for being away from home.

9 hours ago, bmill7272 said:

I was on a cruise once where a Cabin Steward was the son of the CEO of a cruise line.His father wanted him to explore real work as the Steward said.

I wonder if he was paid a Steward wage ?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, davekathy said:

I've worked so to speak, a worse job, longer hours and the pay was horrible. 

I worked in a Rubber Stamp factory in a building that should have been condemned for $1.10 an hour ,a 12 hour day.No air conditioning,no fans ,sweat pouring all over my body.That was the worse job I ever had.

• Like 1