RCL is so sneaky on cancelling their 2021 cruises

I totally sympathise with those who do not wish to pay their final balance when they know the cruise is not going ahead.  Final payment dates sees to differ all over the world.

For instance, I had an MSC cruise booked via a UK travel agency for end of May 2021.  Final payment was due on 12th February 2021!!  Luckily, I was able to transfer this to next year or else I would have had to pay the final balance and then wait an age for a full refund.  If I had booked, as I usually do via a travel agency based in Germany, I could have held on to end of April 2021.  That is when the final payment would have been due.

With regards to Royal.  I have Anthem of the Seas booked for 15th August 2021.  The final payment is due for 15 July 2021.  I now rest so easy knowing I have a greater window for final payment.  If I had booked any other way, I know I would be in the same position as the other posters.  Solution - book via the German website if you can!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, jmhlin said:

glass is half full. why do they have 90 days final payment if almost all Europe countries are behind vaccination schedule? This is not the normal time and why there is still 90 days final payment deadline? that is why princess and NCL made the decisions 2-3 months before. I maybe jump the gun to post this comment and i will wait for another month and hope they will make some announcement before the 90 days deadline.

I believe I may have been booked onto the same cruise as yourself. I cancelled the booking and re-booked for 2022. I don't believe Russia will have sorted out their mess in dealing with Covid, Likewise Germany.  Then there is the question regarding the crew, who I don't believe have been offered any vaccine. 

Cancel now and if they do sail there will be numerous cabins available, I would think.

1 hour ago, newcruzer2 said:

You say "know for sure it will be cancelled" , so why not just cancel it yourself.

I don't believe they are playing games. If YOU want more options, it seems fair that you should pay final payment to get more options.

I’m from the UK where I think the rules on deposits are different, but if I was to cancel before Royal did, I would lose my deposit, even though the cruise can’t possibly go ahead - so I understand why jmhlin is holding out for Royal to cancel.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, shopaholic6 said:

I’m from the UK where I think the rules on deposits are different, but if I was to cancel before Royal did, I would lose my deposit, even though the cruise can’t possibly go ahea

You would not lose your deposit. 

you are covered under cruise with confidence.  This alows you to cancel and receive a 100% future cruise credit, there are no penalties. 

CWC applies to all countries. 

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

you are covered under cruise with confidence.  This alows you to cancel and receive a 100% future cruise credit, there are no penalties. 

But will you be able to get a full refund of deposit if you cancel and not  RCCL?

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Yes I understand that but I don’t want FCC - I want a refund so I can just start again! 😀

On 3/3/2021 at 3:04 PM, notmyrealnameoremail said:

For 2021 cruises to Alaska or Canada, Royal is offering a better deal than cancelling:

Canada Travel Restrictions

Last updated February 12th, 2021

On February 5th, 2021 the Canadian government announced continued port closures for all cruise ship travel through February 2022, which may have left you wondering what would happen with your upcoming sailing. Over the last few days, we’ve been reviewing our itineraries and discussing our options with various government agencies to determine the best plan of action for your cruise. We ask for your continued patience as we work diligently on next steps in light of this recent government mandate.

We understand that you may be eager to either book a new cruise or work on alternate vacation plans. So, we’ve emailed you and your travel partner with a breakdown of your options which include selecting one of the following:

• Wait for an Updated Itinerary or Official Cancellation

• Select a New Sailing

• Opt-in for a 125% Future Credit

• Receive a 100% Refund

It's all nice and well but I still have not received any email from RCCL. 

On 3/4/2021 at 5:34 AM, Sunshine3601 said:

Another way to lower your out of pocket for your final payment due in april is to switch your cabin category to the cheapest available cabin.   You Still have a month and I expect we will hear more about travel in europe sometime this spring, just may not be by the time your final payment is due.

I don't know that other countries can switch cabins as easily as we can. It is a good idea, but when it came time to do that on Allure, everything was "showing" sold out (they weren't) but there was nothing to switch too. 

9 minutes ago, Coralc said:

I don't know that other countries can switch cabins as easily as we can. It is a good idea, but when it came time to do that on Allure, everything was "showing" sold out (they weren't) but there was nothing to switch too. 

Sorry to hear that....I have heard that happening for some since they stopped selling certain sailings.

8 hours ago, shopaholic6 said:

Yes I understand that but I don’t want FCC - I want a refund so I can just start again! 😀

See if you can downgrade to the cheapest cabin so you have less tied up in a final payment for which you'll request a refund.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2021 at 9:30 PM, Lady Chew said:

We'd be happy with a cruise to nowhere at this point!

Unfortunately they can't do cruise to nowhere under US law.  Solves a lot of COVID problems if they could.

On 3/5/2021 at 9:47 AM, sfaaa said:

It's all nice and well but I still have not received any email from RCCL. 

I'd just call them. I received my notice from my TA a month ago.  My August Alaska cruise has been L&S'd to next year and my May Honolulu to Vancouver has been cancelled. The cash I laid out has been refunded to my CC and the balance was from a previous FCC but has yet to be reissued.  I've read several people mention that they are waiting on these cancelations and am confused as to why.

Edited by Tree_skier

18 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I'd just call them. I received my notice from my TA a month ago.  My August Alaska cruise has been L&S'd to next year and my May Honolulu to Vancouver has been cancelled. The cash I laid out has been refunded to my CC and the balance was from a previous FCC but has yet to be reissued.  I've read several people mention that they are waiting on these cancelations and am confused as to why.

You have both cruises sail in or out from Canada. Most cruises from UK and U.S are still a "GO" after April 30.

3 minutes ago, jmhlin said:

You have both cruises sail in or out from Canada. Most cruises from UK and U.S are still a "GO" after April 30.

My July's still a go from Amsterdam.....waiting until final payment due May 1st to decide how to cancel my NRD...would rather have my deposit back...not going to gamble on the cost of my suite and business class air....and the fact that I may decide not to sail with Celebrity again and stick with RCI.

Back in 2019 when we booked our 2020 cruise we decided we would skip 2021 to do a boat trip on our own boat in the Great Lakes (just like we skipped and did in 2017).  In hindsight that was great planning.

Yet in March 2020 when we returned from our 7 (extended to 9) day cruise we booked a cruise for February 2022.

I will not pay a dime on it Until
1 - Odyssey is cruising not only from just Israel but another port.
2 - It is definitely planned and not just promised to arrive in Florida

3 - Restrictions on the ship are lifted that a cruise can actually be enjoyed and you aren't limited to RC only excursions so that the Island actually benefits from the tourism.

If Final payment date arrives and no ships are already sailing out of Florida, I will not pay for the cruise and just cancel.  It is better to lose $200 than tie up $3k.  I also won't risk Odyssey being canceled and us being pushed to a smaller ship without the amenities.  Anything smaller than the Adventure / Navigator would be a no go for me.  That already happened once.  Our cruise on Adventure got cancelled less than 6 months out and the cruises they offered as options ended up with us on the Jewel.  We had a good time but we were not very happy with the change of ship and itinerary.  We paid too high of a price for what the ship/itinerary ended up being.  Ok to do it once but not this time.

I also don't want my money tied up and pay a premium price on what is available or allowed for a future cruise.

I can take my same money and plan many other vacations that I will enjoy just as much.

Those are my personal decisions.  Everyone's life is different and different things appropriate for their situation.

On 3/3/2021 at 10:12 PM, jmhlin said:

Princess has just announced cancelling all U.K round trip from Southampton until mid Sept 2021. NCL and Princess have also cancelled all of their 2021 Alaska cruises. That will give their customers some time to react on their flight arrangements and decide what to do with their booking before the final payment.

However, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity choose to keep on delaying and saying working with authorities to get their Alaska and Europe cruises running like normal. I don't know how many of the port of calls will welcome non vaccinated passengers.

Either, they have special way to get vaccines to all their customers including children, or they want their ship 20% filled, or here is my theory,

to get your final payment, force you to take their 100% FCC and they deep pocket your hard earned money, then, when you check next year itineraries, they are all 30% - 50% more than this year cruise (this price is also non refundable deposit) and you have no choice but to accept and pay if you picked the FCC option.

Don't get me wrong, I like their Cruises but is it how they should run their company and treat their customers during this hard time?

Don't say they have financial hardship, they made so much money from so many stocks offers and they probably make more money from the stocks market than servicing us.

You are correct its an absolute con job. They did the same with Japanese cruises due in April - held on and on even after they announced all world wide cruises were cancelled with the exception of Singapore - they repeatedly denied the Japanese cruises were cancelled even though I’d screenshots of their announcements 

Of course you’ll get the same people with vested interests supporting Royal.

1 hour ago, soloadventurer said:

You are correct its an absolute con job. They did the same with Japanese cruises due in April - held on and on even after they announced all world wide cruises were cancelled with the exception of Singapore - they repeatedly denied the Japanese cruises were cancelled even though I’d screenshots of their announcements 

Of course you’ll get the same people with vested interests supporting Royal.

Yep. That is how I see RCCL and Celebrity cruises now.

I most likely will rebook and hold the place. If the price is still high, I will cancel next year. It is fair game. Cruise is not the only way to travel. There are so many things/places to see in the world.

1 hour ago, jmhlin said:

Yep. That is how I see RCCL and Celebrity cruises now.

I most likely will rebook and hold the place. If the price is still high, I will cancel next year. It is fair game. Cruise is not the only way to travel. There are so many things/places to see in the world.

This is definitely Celebrity's game !!!!