How soon after completing your COVID-19 vaccination would you want to go on a cruise?

LauraS

How soon after completing your COVID-19 vaccination would you want to go on a cruise?  

2,416 members have voted

1. 1. How soon after completing your COVID-19 vaccination would you want to go on a cruise?

• Within the first two months. Once I have the shots, I am ready to go
    • A few months – I’d take a different trip first
    • I would prefer to wait six months to a year
    • Other, explain below.....

• Administrators

Please take our poll!  And, if you are booked and are ready to go, share below!  What do you have booked?

• LauraS locked, unlocked and pinned this topic
  • Administrators

Option two for me, although I'd definitely like to cruise sooner rather than later.   We'll probably take a roadtrip up the east coast and visit some of the NE towns we missed last year on our Canada/NE cruise that was cancelled.

Then, it's the Baltics for us!

• Like 1

Since I am more interested in the experience and destinations, I won't be cruising until something comes up that I like.  This is really independent of the vaccine.  I would cruise if all the following were true:

1. vaccination waiting time has passed
  2. cruise is interesting
  3. the price is right

I am expecting that items 2 & 3 will be bigger drivers than the vaccine in my "return to cruising."  This is true even though I am not currently eligible to receive the vaccine where I live.

• Like 1

I am vaccinated but I will wait to read the reviews of the first sailings. If changes are made that like no DIY excrusions I won't book. Not being able to DIY would be a dealbreaker. I don't plan to book a cruise this year. Maybe 2022.

• Like 4

Our second shot was a couple of weeks ago — I “want” to go on a cruise right now; but I don’t cruise just to float around.  The itinerary has to be right (not currently available), The ship has to be right - some are out there. The conditions on board have to be right - masking, social distancing, limited port activity are all existing problems.

So, while I am ready for cruising, cruising is not ready for me.

• Like 3

Mrs Bear is already fully vaccinated, and I'm getting shot number 1 tomorrow.

Even without COVID, cruises are an 'every other year' at most vacation. Its been over a year since we picked out our currently reserved cruise, and are hoping it sails as planned in September [with us on board].

• Like 2

Option four for me.

Had a 03/21/20 group cruise booked that was cancelled & moved forward to 04/04/20 then forward again to 4/17/21. The last date was postponed by the group coordinators. They say the cruise line is not offering a similar cruise this year that would be a suitable alternative. The coordinators hope they will be able to plan a replacement cruise for 2022 or 2023. Have a swag bag full of Cruise Critic gear to be raffled off at the Meet & Mingle. It is sadly tucked away in a closet.

If I had my druthers, living so close to a home port for Carnival & RCI, I would be on the first available sailing once the cruise terminals open again for business. This would depend on my future injection date & the waiting time for it to kick in as well as the level of my bank account. Itinerary not a problem since I am one of those that considers any cruise ship my destination. Masks, social distancing & no DIY in ports not a problem either. 

Have not cruised since a 2018 New Year group cruise and it has been a rough withdrawal! Watching the Galveston webcams for cruise ship arrivals & departures helped... until they didn't.

After we’re fully vaccinated in a couple of weeks we’ll continue to evaluate if we’ll take our booked cruises as we learn more about the cruise experience.

Without requiring all passengers & crew to be vaccinated we’d hesitate to cruise because how long vaccines are effective is still being evaluated. Unvaccinated passengers can spread the virus onboard & could result in lockdowns & port cancelations. The cruise experience will likely be diminished for several years even even without onboard outbreaks so don’t want it even worse.

We’re booked in Fall 2021 & Spring 2022 from our homeport of LA to the West Coast. We’re cautiously optimistic about those cruises & will make a final determination after learning more about safety & the onboard experience.

Our hope is the end result will be a safer and more enjoyable cruise. 🤞

Edited by Astro Flyer

I had shot number two last week; DH had his first shot. We already both have a large variety of high quality masks to go with all of our outfits, including formal nights (who says you can't be safe AND fashionable?😄). We have no problem taking ship excursions, so as soon as it's safe, we're ready (and yes, we prefer passenger and crew to be vaccinated).

• Like 3

One to two years. We're fully vaccinated and booked on a cruise for 9/22. But I'll wait and see what's what next spring/summer. No one knows anything yet. If cruise lines don't require vaccinations for crew and pax we won't cruise again.

• Like 3

We are getting our 2nd COVID shot this Monday, and have had previous cruises rebooked for October, November and December.

We aren't rushing out, We'll let the lines work out any preliminary issues and get the COVID cruising routine down pat, we hope, by the time our Celebrity Edge, Reflection and Apex, and Carnival Valor roll around.

• Like 1

I want to wait and see what cruises are like and how covid safe programs change the experience.  Also being  predominantly an expedition cruiser I have to see which companies survive😂. On top of that I would feel better travelling to a destination where their population has high vaccination rates. 

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Our family July 2020 Caribbean cruise was canceled due to Covid so we have booked for July 2022 and are hoping that they have a vaccine for kids by then (granddaughters will be 7 1/2 and almost 3).

• Like 1

what I have learned in the past year. Life is short. I/we are not guaranteed a tomorrow. If you wait to long  life can and will pass us by. I'm not one to stand the edge looking down wondering what got me to this place.  With the help of modern science I took the leap, I got the vaccination. My  choice, my decision and my path to walk. I'm ready and willing. 

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, c-boy said:

what I have learned in the past year. Life is short. I/we are not guaranteed a tomorrow. If you wait to long  life can and will pass us by. I'm not one to stand the edge looking down wondering what got me to this place.  With the help of modern science I took the leap, I got the vaccination. My  choice, my decision and my path to walk. I'm ready and willing. 

I hope it works out for you.  BTW -You may have the most precise location information of anyone I have ever seen put on CC!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SelectSys said:

I hope it works out for you.  BTW -You may have the most precise location information of anyone I have ever seen put on CC!

well can I get an upvote .... 👍

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

We're booked for a TA from Barcelona to ft Lauderdale this November, with a Cali Coastal /Mexican Riviera by2B in March and a nice Iberian Passage next September to round it out. Cheers to hopefully sailing with y'all!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, clo said:

If cruise lines don't require vaccinations for crew and pax we won't cruise again.

15 hours ago, Keksie said:

Option 4  I won't cruise until I know that there are no masks required, excursions are not limited, 

These 2 sum up my feelings . 

• Like 2

Another vote for Option 4.  We will return to cruising when cruising returns to some semblance of normal and the pandemic is managed.  We have a cruise booked for next year.  We will opt out if things are still uncontrolled.  

• Like 2

Option 4. We're fully vaccinated, are at week three following the second injection. We have a Canada/New England booked for September but waiting for Princess to cancel due to Canada's ban on cruise ships; I'm planning to rebook this for fall of 2022. We would prefer not to mask but cruise line excursions aren't a deal breaker for us. That probably means 2022 as well.

We do plan on doing some traveling through the United States in the meantime.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ASAP for me. I want to cruise as soon as humanly possible. I will wait though if masks are required, social distancing is required, and my kids can't have a good time at the kids clubs and a normal experience. It just wouldn't be fun and carefree with too many rules. I'm hoping Carnival leaves that to the sleepy lines with early bedtimes and nose stuck in the air passengers.

I want to have fun on the fun ships, socialize and have a great time, masking and social distancing is the antithesis of fun. Rigid rules, no one socializing, constant mask police complaining, and everyone afraid isn't my idea of a good time. Suffice to say, I want to cruise ASAP but only when Carnival is truly back to her former glory and good times. Can't wait!!      

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1