How soon after completing your COVID-19 vaccination would you want to go on a cruise?

LauraS

How soon after completing your COVID-19 vaccination would you want to go on a cruise?  

2,416 members have voted

1. 1. How soon after completing your COVID-19 vaccination would you want to go on a cruise?

• Within the first two months. Once I have the shots, I am ready to go
    • A few months – I’d take a different trip first
    • I would prefer to wait six months to a year
    • Other, explain below.....

On 4/14/2021 at 4:05 AM, TravelinGert said:

Don't know about all of them but in a study on the Pfizer vaccine it was found to stop even 2/3 of asymptomatic cases after 1 dose in actual use in Israel and both Moderna and Pfizer were found to those who have had both dose of either had a rate of infection of 0.04/1000 (99% effective) while those who had only received one dose had only .19/1000 in actual use in the US in early vaccinations on medical professionals. By comparison the MMR vaccine is only 88% effective at two doses.

Those numbers are fabulous.

You’re about as likely to be involved in a fatal car accident (1 in 103) as to get Covid if you’ve been vaccinated. (Source: National Safety Council) 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm only 15 or so years from retirement. At the current rate, maybe as a retirement gift to myself I'll book on the first post-COVID sailing, which should be soon after retirement... 🙄

(Yes, a little grouchy about my latest cancellation... 😄 )

Edited by Just Don
Clarity
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'd love to jump on a boat this second. I'd love to walk among two thousand strangers. I want to wander on the Lido deck and people watch, smell suntan lotion. Get a whiff of Guys burgers and hear the roar of the blenders as they make those drinks. But I'm going to wait until next spring when all of the over the top nonsense that the CDC will impose on the cruise industry and only the cruise industry. I'm happy most, if not all cruise lines are vaccinating the crews. I'd prefer it be mandatory for passenger also.(jmo) So for me no masks no distancing. Hopefully by next spring Big Brother, I mean the CDC will relax and realize It's over the top treatment of the cruise industry and all the people that make it work was a mistake. Thousands of people lost jobs. The industry and the states they sail out of lost Billions.  

Here's a new take on this subject:  We are booked with a French small ship company and scheduled to embark in August 2021.  Their protocol states that you have to have had your second shot no longer than 6 months before you sail.  In my case, since I volunteer at a hospital, I received my shot in January and am going to be only 8 days beyond the acceptable time they allow.  Unless their draconian rule changes, we will need to cancel. 

I have checked a number of small ship companies (Azamara, Lindblad, Crystal Cruises, Hurtigruten, Oceanea, Silversea, Windstar and Seabourn) and not one of them is following this protocol.  According to the NEW ENGLAND JOURNAL OF MEDICINE, the Moderna vaccine showed strong antibody response after six months and the booster shot is unlikely to be available until September at the earliest.

On 3/27/2021 at 12:05 PM, 2CoolCanucks said:

I wonder if people who take the vaccine actually read the consent forms that they must sign. For example, the Moderna Consent form clearly states  that “the Moderna Vaccine is still being studied in clinical trials and studies.”
Moderna btw has NEVER had anything approved by the FDA. Only this EUA. 
It is “only authorized for emergency use (EUA) for as long as the emergency is declared”. Because “there are no alternative approved methods.” 
So while I have no issue with those who do choose to get the vaccine, I do not feel that those who do not want it should be forced to take it. 
Take care. I have no desire to argue. 🙂

I agree with you.  I also no longer have any desire to argue about this with my friends, family or even on-line.  The other side of the argument is out there for all those who really wish to do their research so they can make an informed decision.   When we have opposing viewpoints, at a certain point, we just have to agree to disagree 🙂  I sincerely hope it all works out for those who have gotten the vaccine.

11 hours ago, goldengirl123 said:

I agree with you.  I also no longer have any desire to argue about this with my friends, family or even on-line.  The other side of the argument is out there for all those who really wish to do their research so they can make an informed decision.   When we have opposing viewpoints, at a certain point, we just have to agree to disagree 🙂  I sincerely hope it all works out for those who have gotten the vaccine.

The vaccines have proved to be extremely safe and effective. Cases and deaths are dropping. So effective that even the minority who are unvaccinated will benefit from the drop in the viruses transmission. It has worked out well for those of us vaccinated and for the unvaccinated who won’t die because of the viruses not being able to transmit .The large majority of the US population who have gotten vaccinated are the hero’s. Of course there will always be flat earth types who deny science and reality and argue a different viewpoint. Like the flat earthers, the antivaxxers will deservedly be laughed at.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I am really hoping that we have a wonderful cruise to Alaska in September.  I've made a lot of friends over my many years of cruising.  I hope that people will accept the rules that our cruise line requires.  I'm not going to confront anyone who has a mask slipped down over their nose, and I hope I don't see passenger confrontations on the cruise ship.  Based upon many comments across the website, I am concerned that people will take it upon themselves to be judge, jury and executioner.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, AKJonesy said:

I am really hoping that we have a wonderful cruise to Alaska in September.  I've made a lot of friends over my many years of cruising.  I hope that people will accept the rules that our cruise line requires.  I'm not going to confront anyone who has a mask slipped down over their nose, and I hope I don't see passenger confrontations on the cruise ship.  Based upon many comments across the website, I am concerned that people will take it upon themselves to be judge, jury and executioner.  

What cruise line are you sailing? 

On 5/26/2021 at 12:35 AM, Charles4515 said:

The vaccines have proved to be extremely safe and effective. Cases and deaths are dropping. So effective that even the minority who are unvaccinated will benefit from the drop in the viruses transmission. It has worked out well for those of us vaccinated and for the unvaccinated who won’t die because of the viruses not being able to transmit .The large majority of the US population who have gotten vaccinated are the hero’s. Of course there will always be flat earth types who deny science and reality and argue a different viewpoint. Like the flat earthers, the antivaxxers will deservedly be laughed at.  

On 3/30/2021 at 5:35 AM, CUTTERSAM said:

I see an update yesterday March 30, that they are req. fully vaccinated or negative test before embarkation which I find comforting.  

Looking good for us non-vaccinated peeps as Royal Caribbean is no longer requiring people to be vaccinated to cruise from US ports. YAY! 

• Like 1

On 3/27/2021 at 11:46 AM, ockelly said:

I'd be happy to cruise without it, honestly.  I've had the Rona and still have the antibodies.  It's disappointing that they require it.

Royal Caribbean no longer requires it in the USA. 🙂

On 6/8/2021 at 7:59 PM, bjarneson1 said:

Ready to cruise now that we are fully vaccinated, but we will only go on a cruise where both crew and passengers are fully vaccinated.

FULLY vaccinated and STILL people test positive for covid. https://www.the-sun.com/news/3057850/celebrity-millennium-passengers-vaccinated-america-covid-positive/

• Like 1

On 3/21/2021 at 6:38 PM, clo said:

It's not freaking "experimental." 

I think it is.  And I don't think it has been FDA approved yet.  Or did I miss a notice in the news.  It has  "emergency" approval only.    I could be wrong?

On 3/19/2021 at 11:36 AM, 2CoolCanucks said:

Yes, but they didn’t give us that option as an answer. 😉 PS. Are those of us who have had covid not immune?

I just saw this earlier:

https://www.breitbart.com/health/2021/06/14/cleveland-clinic-study-coronavirus-survivors-show-lasting-immunity-against-virus/?utm_campaign=Feed%3A+breitbart+(Breitbart+News)&utm_medium=feed&utm_source=feedburner

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.06.01.21258176v2

On 3/20/2021 at 3:13 PM, Host CMLA said:

At some point we will have herd immunity and hopefully mandatory vaccines won't be a condition for cruising anymore.  We won't get the vaccine or wear mandatory masks or be limited to specific shore excursions.  That puts us out of the cruising game for a while but that's our choice. 

Ditto for my family! 

1 hour ago, electro said:

Do you get the irony of waiting for herd immunity but not getting the vaccine?

Do you understand that not everyone can get, or needs to get, the jab?   ( see links above)

Edited by Catnip

6 minutes ago, Catnip said:

Do you understand that not everyone can get, or needs to get, the jab?   ( see links above)

From links above:

This article is a preprint and has not been peer-reviewed . It reports new medical research that has yet to be evaluated and so should not be used to guide clinical practice.

While the study found that unvaccinated survivors of the coronavirus show lasting immunity against the virus, the Cleveland Clinic still recommends that anyone who can get the vaccine, should, telling FOX 8, “We don’t know how long the immune system will protect against reinfection or protect against variants.”

• Like 1