How soon after completing your COVID-19 vaccination would you want to go on a cruise?

LauraS

How soon after completing your COVID-19 vaccination would you want to go on a cruise?  

2,416 members have voted

1. 1. How soon after completing your COVID-19 vaccination would you want to go on a cruise?

• Within the first two months. Once I have the shots, I am ready to go
    • A few months – I’d take a different trip first
    • I would prefer to wait six months to a year
    • Other, explain below.....

1 minute ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

Nice ... With all your post which is your favorite cruise line ??

I sailed with Celebrity for about 15/16 years but moved on from them in 2017 and I now sail Silversea. 

I had some others in between,  probably 40 with X....1 with HAL, 3 or 4 with Royal, a couple of river cruises (which I love)........so far 4 with Silversea and another 5 booked. I had 2 booked with them in 2020 but of course those got cancelled. 

Just now, Lois R said:

I sailed with Celebrity for about 15/16 years but moved on from them in 2017 and I now sail Silversea. 

I had some others in between,  probably 40 with X....1 with HAL, 3 or 4 with Royal, a couple of river cruises (which I love)........so far 4 with Silversea and another 5 booked. I had 2 booked with them in 2020 but of course those got cancelled. 

We have been on a few cruises as well but now on Holland 

• 2 weeks later...

I've been ready for months!! 😁😁

Not cruising until February, though.. that's when we can get away and will need a break from winter.  Life may be a little more predictable by then, too.

what specific 

"decent experience"   are you looking for. we're leaving from athens to rome nov 24-dec 5th, and to me the itinerary is the experience. book a haven suite, that's an experience. seeing the , the leaning tower of pisa, st marks square and the canals of venice, the colosseum and the Vatican in rome is an experience

there are so  many "decent experiences" through out the entire world. you're missing out by waiting

to me, the sheer joy of being  on a cruise ship, enjoying a drink and watching the sunset from  my balcony is an experience.

what experiences did you have that were decent when you were in the navy. maybe you need to just lower your expectations. some people think that a port stop in grand stirrup caye is an experience.

the ruins in tulum, cozumel is an experience.

by the way, the opinions expressed herein, are strictly my own, but it would be interesting to see if any other posters share them

16 minutes ago, complawyer said:

what specific 

"decent experience"   are you looking for. we're leaving from athens to rome nov 24-dec 5th, and to me the itinerary is the experience. book a haven suite, that's an experience. seeing the , the leaning tower of pisa, st marks square and the canals of venice, the colosseum and the Vatican in rome is an experience

there are so  many "decent experiences" through out the entire world. you're missing out by waiting

to me, the sheer joy of being  on a cruise ship, enjoying a drink and watching the sunset from  my balcony is an experience.

what experiences did you have that were decent when you were in the navy. maybe you need to just lower your expectations. some people think that a port stop in grand stirrup caye is an experience.

the ruins in tulum, cozumel is an experience.

by the way, the opinions expressed herein, are strictly my own, but it would be interesting to see if any other posters share them

Looks like Norwegian Getaway — IF she sails .  Frankly, the last way I would like to revisit some of the lovely places on the scheduled itinerary is to pull in with several thousand other day-trippers.  But to each his own.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2021 at 10:20 AM, complawyer said:

he opinions expressed herein, are strictly my own, but it would be interesting to see if any other posters share them

I agree with what you are saying.  Practically speaking a near infinite number of "decent experiences" are available to all if they understand what they like and have sufficient time, health and accessible wealth to pursue them.

I also agree with your statement of the joy being of an a cruise ship is an experience.  I really haven't tired of this while I know others have.  I really hope I never do...

On 8/18/2021 at 5:42 PM, SelectSys said:

I agree with what you are saying.  Practically speaking a near infinite number of "decent experiences" are available to all if they understand what they like and have sufficient time, health and accessible wealth to pursue them.

I also agree with your statement of the joy being of an a cruise ship is an experience.  I really haven't tired of this while I know others have.  I really hope I never do...

Perhaps the question should have been: How soon after an overwhelming percentage of the population have been vaccinated (or otherwise immunized) would you want to go on a cruise?

As long as covid remains a significant threat, the cruising experience will be negatively impacted;  ports not available, or only available to group tours;  proving ones own immunization;  on board restrictions;  hassles with testing;  limitations on flights, etc. all should be considered.   Cruising should be more than just being able to get on a ship.

5 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Perhaps the question should have been: How soon after an overwhelming percentage of the population have been vaccinated (or otherwise immunized) would you want to go on a cruise?

As long as covid remains a significant threat, the cruising experience will be negatively impacted;  ports not available, or only available to group tours;  proving ones own immunization;  on board restrictions;  hassles with testing;  limitations on flights, etc. all should be considered.   Cruising should be more than just being able to get on a ship.

I agree with you that COIVD negatively effects cruising.  The question is whether one believes these negative impacts are offset by the positive aspects of cruising.  That is a decision that everyone should be able to make for themselves.

With respect to vaccination,  the definition of what constitutes vaccination is even under question.  Vaccinated fully once, booster shots up to date, which vaccine, ...

I think we need to start figuring out how to live with this.  I think @Hlitner's approach has been pretty good.  Don't live in fear and adapt as best you can to the "reality on the ground."

• Like 1

6 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

While I agree with some of what you say there is also another story.  We recently cruised the Greek Islands for two weeks on the Seabourn Ovation.   I was a fantastic cruise (in the classic sense) with no passenger restrictions on the ship.  Yes, we did get tested every week but even that was not a big deal and only took a minute.  All of our ports (Greece and Cyprus) were completely open for independent travel.  Ashore the main restriction was having to wear masks if going inside shops.  I would have to rate the onboard experience as being close to perfect (we say this having been on far more then 100 cruises) with one of the most motivated crews we have ever experienced.  

For those of us who continue to travel (we never stopped) I think some thought needs to go into where one goes.  There are parts of the world where folks have learned to live with COVID and function in something close to normal.   There are also plenty of folks who are traveling, dining, drinking, and having fun just like pre COVID.  This was apparent on the Greek Islands which are packed with tourists from all over Europe and the States who are going about the business of living.....not slowly dying in lock downs and social isolation.

Hank

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

This was apparent on the Greek Islands which are packed with tourists from all over Europe and the States who are going about the business of living.....not slowly dying in lock downs and social isolation.

Hank

It will be interesting to see how Greece fares in the Delta surge. 

I agree that Seabourn offers a quality experience;  but,  I am fortunate in having (and enjoying) other options .I miss cruising, but the hiatus has encouraged other activity.  I am not inclined to fly all the way to Athens to be able to take a cruise on an attractive ship sailing a desirable itinerary.  I have enough options on land travel - in UK and US - to be willing to go through the hoops cruising currently requires.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

It will be interesting to see how Greece fares in the Delta surge. 

I agree that Seabourn offers a quality experience;  but,  I am fortunate in having (and enjoying) other options .I miss cruising, but the hiatus has encouraged other activity.  I am not inclined to fly all the way to Athens to be able to take a cruise on an attractive ship sailing a desirable itinerary.  I have enough options on land travel - in UK and US - to be willing to go through the hoops cruising currently requires.

You guys make some excellent points.   At this point, if it were not for the Delta variant, I think I would go on a west coast cruise ship just to be on the ship.    We are still getting out and about and I still hit the lakes routinely, though the drought is taking a toll.     We have a cruise/land trip to Spain & Portugal set for next spring and a British Isles cruise next Summer.   We are on the lookout for something sooner, but so far we have not felt comfortable with the options.   While we are still being very careful, I can't say we are slowly dying in lockdown or socially distanced from our family and friends. That aspect has improved dramatically from how it was last year.   

We receive our third vaccine on 8/30/21 as we cautiously await our 1/15/2022 Celebrity cruise.

Thus far I read their sister ship, the Edge, has departed with about 50% capacity And no major incidents.  We will be careful on the ship and with Celebrity's excellent safety requirements intend to sail. 

On 8/29/2021 at 7:14 AM, ltcpda said:

We receive our third vaccine on 8/30/21 as we cautiously await our 1/15/2022 Celebrity cruise.

I am glad you mention this point.  The notion of one or two and done seem to be fading fast.  The topic seems to be morphing into,  "Are you willing to cruise while being consider fully vaccinated?"

My answer is yes assuming the cruise isn't cancelled and I get to the port.  I won't be testing this until next April.  Who knows what the world will look like then?

• 4 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, Mcdonaldbam said:

Just got off a 7 day cruise.  The only negatives I encountered were the precruise testing requirement imposed by the CDC and having to wear a mask when moving about the ship. A couple places on the ship required a mask at all time (theater and comedy club).  

Both those protocols will keep me off the ships until they are gone.  Too many other fun things to do without masks and testing.

We are fully vaccinated, had Pfizer #3 over two weeks ago.

We are waiting until 2022, and have three cruises booked.

There are just too many issues and unknowns right now, and after canceling 2019 due to family member illness, rebooking for 2020, canceling 2020 due to COVID and moving to 2021, canceling again due to COVID and booking 2022, I am hoping for next year. 

We are booked for 2022. I so miss being at sea. 

On 9/30/2021 at 3:16 PM, SPacificbound said:

We are fully vaccinated, had Pfizer #3 over two weeks ago.

We are waiting until 2022, and have three cruises booked.

There are just too many issues and unknowns right now, and after canceling 2019 due to family member illness, rebooking for 2020, canceling 2020 due to COVID and moving to 2021, canceling again due to COVID and booking 2022, I am hoping for next year. 

We are booked for 2022. I so miss being at sea. 

I have had the two Moderna and will get a booster if it become available.  At the beginning of the year I was so optimistic about things opening up with the vaccines.  They have, but not to the extent I had hoped.   

We have a couple bookings for 2022.  

Oh man, I will be glad when this pandemic is over.  

Have been on 2 cruises and going on another in 2 1/2 weeks.

Both cruises were not filled to passenger capacity; no lines.

Hate wearing those face diapers!

The “Can’t Do Commonsense” (CDC) now requiring Covid test 2 days before instead of the previous 3 days.  Such an inconvenience.

7 hours ago, gooscar said:

Have been on 2 cruises and going on another in 2 1/2 weeks.

Both cruises were not filled to passenger capacity; no lines.

Hate wearing those face diapers!

The “Can’t Do Commonsense” (CDC) now requiring Covid test 2 days before instead of the previous 3 days.  Such an inconvenience.

I hadn't heard that.  Do they count the boarding day?  For example, if your cruise was boarding on Saturday, you could get the test on Thursday and be in compliance?  

I was never good at those speed/distance/time problems.  Haha. 

From one of the cruise line website:

How to calculate which days to take your test:

• Vaccinated guests: If you are setting sail on a Saturday, and you need to take the test no more than 2 days before, you can take your test on Thursday or Friday. You could also take it on Saturday morning if necessary — of course, we don't recommend waiting until the last minute.