How soon after completing your COVID-19 vaccination would you want to go on a cruise?

LauraS

How soon after completing your COVID-19 vaccination would you want to go on a cruise?  

2,416 members have voted

1. 1. How soon after completing your COVID-19 vaccination would you want to go on a cruise?

• Within the first two months. Once I have the shots, I am ready to go
    • A few months – I’d take a different trip first
    • I would prefer to wait six months to a year
    • Other, explain below.....

We will each be completing our Pfizer shots this month; however, even if we're vaccinated -- and eager to travel (yes yes yes!) -- it really will depend on the level of vaccinations in the destination countries and .. if these destination countries will allow us in.  Also -- the variants -- will we need a booster to deal with those?  In any case, we have a trip booked this July but remain uncertain about it -- will it be cancelled? Have two others booked -- in 2022 and 2023 -- that we are confident about.

Oh, and that's why I'm part of the "other, explain below...."

Edited by CharTrav
  • Like 1

29 out of my 32 sailings have been with my mom - who has since passed away. Going on a cruise by myself would mean getting hit with the single supplement charge and having to pay 150% or 200% of the per person rate. 

10 hours ago, Chip1 said:

29 out of my 32 sailings have been with my mom - who has since passed away. Going on a cruise by myself would mean getting hit with the single supplement charge and having to pay 150% or 200% of the per person rate. 

Sorry about your Mom. 

Have you checked prices for Solo Cabins on NCL?  I find that they usually have decent solo fares.  Solo cabins are small, but modern and comfortable, and one gets access to the solo lounge to meet up with other solos for meals, activities and excursions.  Once in a while, Celebrity would surprise me with a good solo inside cabin rate.

Edited by evandbob

On 3/4/2021 at 10:01 PM, complawyer said:

we're booked on the jade for this july. had 2 cruises cancelled tis year already

We are booked on X Millennium this October from Fort Lauderdale through PC with disembarkation in LA. I am doubtful it will sail. So bummed, but still hopeful.

We get our second shots next week.  We could pack and go right away if we had the chance.  My job ended last March because of covid, so now our year is free:  we could sail anytime, not just December and April, as previously.

We would be fine with cruiseline excursions only, masks, sailing anywhere or nowhere, and distancing.  We've been quite impressed with how MSC is handling their Med cruises.   However, we would not be comfortable now sailing with unvaccinated passengers aboard, so that might be our biggest roadblock.

• Like 1

We came off our most recent cruise the first week of March 2020  just before Covid restrictions. At that time we already had an Alaska cruise booked for July 2021 (I thought then that surely this be over by then), so during quarantine I booked a March 2022 Caribbean cruise. As restrictions continued, I postponed Alaska for a year. So now we have no cruises in 2021, but two in 2022 - March and July. Maybe having two in one year will make up for having none this year,

3 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

#2 pfizer is coming on the 18th... so I'll be ready. We've had two cruises cancel out and so we pushed our reservation out as far as we possibly could... Aug 2022 British Isles cruise is in place. 

DH gets his second Pfizer this week. I get my first (don't know if it will be Pfizer or Moderna). Just grateful to be getting it.

• Like 1

We both received the second shot 3 weeks ago. Won't book until we see what is required to go. What changes the cruise lines are making from the past normal. 

1.What is required to get on and off the ship.

2.What is required to get around on the ship.

3. What is required in the dining rooms.

4. What is required to leave the ship in port.

• Like 1

In the UK, we've had a terrible 2nd wave of the virus, so have been on lockdown for months. There will be a slow re-opening over the next few months, and then we'll look to see what we're allowed to do.

Saga is opening ships to those fully vaccinated, and P&O are talking about short local cruises, once the June 21st opening day arrives. I think we'll watch to see what happens, and how cruises are handled, being in the vulnerable age group. We'll probably take a short cruise in local waters at first.

We have had our second shots more than three weeks ago and are ready to cruise today but only if we don’t have to wear a mask. We have been traveling the past year following mask and distancing rules. 

• Like 1

We have just received our 2nd Pfizer shot last Monday and are absolutely ready to cruise as soon as X is cleared to sail again. Besides volunteering to be on any of X's potential No Revenue cruises out of Florida, we have a B2B Millenneium Alaska cruise booked in early May, which probably won't happen, and a B2B2B Edge cruise booked in July which we are very hopeful will happen. We also have cruises booked with other cruise lines later in the year. So, yes, we're ready, regardless of what the rules are.

I miss travel (of which cruising is just one part, for me) as much as anyone. But I would want to wait to see how things shake out with cruising once it starts again. Taking ship-sponsored shore excursions is one non-starter for me. And at least for the near future, vaccination of passengers and crew would also be a big confidence maker.

I've basically stayed home for a year already, and I can do it for another year if necessary if I cannot travel on my terms.

• Like 1

I am vaccinated but there is just nothing I see on the 2021 schedule that appeals to me.  If the gulf opens out of Galveston I might pick up a shortie post hurricane season.  I am scheduled for ocean and river cruises spring 2022 and I will go unless they are canceled. 

13 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I miss travel (of which cruising is just one part, for me) as much as anyone. But I would want to wait to see how things shake out with cruising once it starts again. Taking ship-sponsored shore excursions is one non-starter for me. And at least for the near future, vaccination of passengers and crew would also be a big confidence maker.

I've basically stayed home for a year already, and I can do it for another year if necessary if I cannot travel on my terms.

I (and we) feel exactly the same way including that last sentence.

17 hours ago, cruisin07family said:

#4 but not really.  I have no intention of getting the vaccine so if that is a requirement of cruising, my cruising days are over.  So be it.

Same here, I will not be told what to inject into my body by any government or corporate, so will be waiting until this madness passes over.

• Like 1

Only as it concerns acquiring or spreading the virus, I am ready to go as soon as my vaccination is considered fully effective.  But...

Rules put in place to curb the spread may have some influence on my final cruising decision, more weight will be put on how well the cruise lines implement those rules.  I will wait at least until after the first several sailings take place for them to identify and work out the kinks.  I hate evolving policies as they change and are tweaked in real time.

I got my shots already. My next cruise, if it sails, is August 2021, but I'd booked it before Covid happened, so it wasn't like I figured "I have my shots, now I'll book."

I've got August 2021, December-January, February-March (Star Trek), August 2022, and November 2022 booked. I'm hoping we can go maskless and fancy free by December or at least next March! Also, I need a bunch of money to pay for all this now...hmm. Hee hee.