How soon after completing your COVID-19 vaccination would you want to go on a cruise?

LauraS

How soon after completing your COVID-19 vaccination would you want to go on a cruise?  

2,416 members have voted

1. 1. How soon after completing your COVID-19 vaccination would you want to go on a cruise?

• Within the first two months. Once I have the shots, I am ready to go
    • A few months – I’d take a different trip first
    • I would prefer to wait six months to a year
    • Other, explain below.....

2 hours ago, Jonny Rotten said:

I would never inject my body with anything just to go on vacation.....That was the question. I can't believe anyone would actually do that. They make Sci-fi movies about things like that,,,,,so never 

Reading the many threads on Cruise Critic you are an outlier. Not only are the overwhelming majority getting vaccinated when they are eligible they want all their fellow passengers vaccinated. So it is not why "anyone" would get vaccinated......almost everyone else is willing to be vaccinated. You should reflect why you are in a minsicule minority who are on this forum.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Reading the many threads on Cruise Critic you are an outlier. Not only are the overwhelming majority getting vaccinated when they are eligible they want all their fellow passengers vaccinated. So it is not why "anyone" would get vaccinated......almost everyone else is willing to be vaccinated. You should reflect why you are in a minsicule minority who are on this forum.

Why would I need to reflect on that?  It's a cruise forum that's supposed to be a fun place. You don't really think this site is going to have any bearing on injecting my body with anything do you?  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jonny Rotten said:

Why would I need to reflect on that?  It's a cruise forum that's supposed to be a fun place. You don't really think this site is going to have any bearing on injecting my body with anything do you?  

I don't care if you get vaccinated. You can spout all the misinformation and fear you want. Almost all of us will ignore or have already. I had my second shot 3 weeks ago.  Life is good. Cruisers are going to get vaccinated and we will have fun. The indication is you probably will have to wait a few years to cruise again.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Jonny Rotten said:

It's a cruise forum that's supposed to be a fun place.

Well, that's certainly a part of it. But I think 'informative' is far more important than the fun part. I've learned an enormous amount here. Rarely looking for entertainment. Just me.

PS: No need to answer if you don't want to but have you not had any vaccinations? I can think of at least two, pertussis and flu, that I got to help protect my grandchildren.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Host CMLA said:

At some point we will have herd immunity and hopefully mandatory vaccines won't be a condition for cruising anymore.  We won't get the vaccine or wear mandatory masks or be limited to specific shore excursions.  That puts us out of the cruising game for a while but that's our choice. 

I totally respect your right to choose your path AND accept that it will put you "out of the cruising game" for awhile. This is how to be true to yourself while still respecting the rights of the many.

3 hours ago, clo said:

But I think 'informative' is far more important than the fun part. I've learned an enormous amount here.

A general rule don't believe everything you read on the internet...... and sometimes the newspaper

What next all the google reviews are real...????

Saw one guy on google who reviewed all the local police stations, then the pyramids....lol  

8 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

A general rule don't believe everything you read on the internet...... and sometimes the newspaper

What next all the google reviews are real...????

Saw one guy on google who reviewed all the local police stations, then the pyramids....lol  

So am I suppose to believe this or not?  

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Jonny Rotten said:

I would never inject my body with anything just to go on vacation.....That was the question. I can't believe anyone would actually do that. They make Sci-fi movies about things like that,,,,,so never 

Most people are not "inject(ing) my body with anything just to go on vacation"

We are taking a vaccine to help prevent serious illness and death from a virus. Being able to go on vacation is just an added bonus.

Edited by electro
  • Like 8

I have had both of my vaccines, but am not interested in being part of the first wave of return to cruising. I prefer to wait and see how things go when cruising restarts. I am currently booked on an 11 nt in Jan 22.  We will have to wait and see how things work out including cruises longer than 7 nts, excursions, entertainment, dining, etc.  There will be lots of feedback from the early cruisers; and if we have concerns as the time gets closer, we can always cancel/reschedule. But I wanted to have something scheduled that I can look forward to.

• Thanks 1

We scheduled a cruise for Feb, 2022.  It is a 15-night SF to Fort Lauderdale.  Like others though I won't cruise unless the line requires that all passengers and crew be vaccinated.   Although not an absolute guarantee I do believe that the vaccine will vastly reduce the chance of myself, and other passengers and crew, getting Covid.  This will reduce the chance of the cruise being interrupted or cancelled.

I also hope the line will have a good regime of testing and temperature checks in place.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, electro said:

Most people are not "inject(ing) my body with anything just to go on vacation"

We are taking a vaccine to help prevent serious illness and death from a virus. Being able to go on vacation is just an added bonus.

Oh, exactly. But I suppose different people have different priorities.

We had to cancel a family cruise to celebrate a significant birthday last year.  With this Covid mess, several of our adult children have stated they are not comfortable going on a cruise anytime.  They said to them cruise ships have become a floating Petrie dish.  

My husband and I have both had our vaccines well over a month ago.  Therefore, we are as protected as the shot can make us. 

Even with the shots, we are waiting until August of 2022 for our next cruise. I hope by then that masks will no longer be required and the majority of clear thinking adults will have been vaccinated.

It has definitely been a strange year.

On 3/4/2021 at 2:17 PM, LauraS said:

Please take our poll!  And, if you are booked and are ready to go, share below!  What do you have booked?

We have postponed sailing until August 2022.  We are booked on the Azamara Quest.

On 3/4/2021 at 2:17 PM, LauraS said:

Please take our poll!  And, if you are booked and are ready to go, share below!  What do you have booked?

We have postponed sailing until August 2022.  We are booked on the Azamara Quest.

The experimental vaccine does not prevent one from getting the virus and the vaccine does not prevent one from spreading the virus.  The vaccine makers say that it would lessen your symptoms if you get the virus.   

• Like 1

Lets step back for a moment. Let’s talk a bit about how vaccines work.   Basically vaccines help you develop an immune response.  What is that?  That is your bodies ability to destroy and contain the virus preventing it from reproducing in mass quantities.  It is that suppression of viral load that alleviates or diminishes symptoms.   Vaccines are not symptom relievers.   
Usually having a limited level of viral load also prevents contagion.  (My opinion is that why would it be any different this time, but I digress)  

for more information here is a CDC fact sheet and a WHO fact sheet

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/hcp/conversations/understanding-vacc-work.html

https://www.who.int/news-room/feature-stories/detail/how-do-vaccines-work

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/19/2021 at 8:54 AM, johnjen said:

We won't be back until everything returns to normal (pre-COVID) so I know that means at least a few years.

Everything returns to normal ? I'll take 70-80 % . If you wait for what was pre-covid you may never cruise again . 

On 3/20/2021 at 3:13 PM, Host CMLA said:

At some point we will have herd immunity and hopefully mandatory vaccines won't be a condition for cruising anymore.  We won't get the vaccine or wear mandatory masks or be limited to specific shore excursions.  That puts us out of the cruising game for a while but that's our choice. 

So you're waiting for herd immunity to protect you ? Providing you are old enough, did you do this for polio ? 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Mcdonaldbam said:

So am I suppose to believe this or not?  

This was for real  after looking up fish and chips in our area..... found the one guy who said the place was terrible because it was shut when he got there....

then look at some of his reviews :-

On 3/20/2021 at 3:13 PM, Host CMLA said:

Do you get the irony of waiting for herd immunity but not be willing to get the vaccine, when herd immunity will be achieved by enough people getting the vaccine?

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

On 3/10/2021 at 11:08 AM, Lois R said:

I got my first shot last Thursday....2nd one is April 1st.  I will be ready to go as soon as I am

fully vaxed.  As for bookings...........well, I have deposits down on 3 cruises.  One in October,

one in December and one in March 2022.  Will just have to wait and see what happens. 

Hey Lois. Did you rebook the Douro cruise from last year?  I was on AMA but have a rez on Uniworld for 5/30 of this year. I hope I make it as I got it for a steal.  I have both shots and also three deposits on cruise s from now to Oct 2022.   Fingers crossed, I am not getting any younger.