Starboard or port side?

sjde

42 minutes ago, sjde said:

Does it matter which side you are on for an Alaskan sailing? 

In my experience and opinion, no.  

One needs to be "out and about" and not "stuck" in your stateroom with a veranda.  If your stateroom is on the starboard side, Murphy's Law will "kick in":  the wildlife will be on the port side.  

• Like 1

Agree with RKA, it does matter. Even if you stay in your cabin during glacier visits, the Captain generally rotates the ship, so both sides get views.

In Alaska, we prefer to be up on the open decks, walking around.

• Like 1

We cruised Alaska a few years ago and found that the best side of the ship is the OUT side. You will miss so much if you expect to see it all from your balcony. Get to the pool deck or higher. If there is something to be seen, the crowd will migrate to that side of the ship so you'll know where you need to be.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

We always book an aft cabin. That way we can watch both sides of the ship. Though off topic, the aft cabin was terrific on our Panama Canal cruise. We spent the day on our balcony watching the locks open and close.

Back on topic, the aft cabin was a terrific place to watch for whales and orcas without the crowd. We ordered room service for breakfast and lunch.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cavydad said:

We always book an aft cabin. That way we can watch both sides of the ship. Though off topic, the aft cabin was terrific on our Panama Canal cruise. We spent the day on our balcony watching the locks open and close.

Back on topic, the aft cabin was a terrific place to watch for whales and orcas without the crowd. We ordered room service for breakfast and lunch.

Unless you are on a one-way cruise in Alaska, your stateroom will experience the same scenery either departing or returning.  With rare exceptions, I, as a photographer, book aft staterooms so that I can see what is available on both sides of the ship. 

Glacier Bay from my covered aft balcony, a plate of nachos nearby, my minibar mere steps away, and a private bathroom available, makes a good day for photos.

https://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/gallery/glacier-bay/P7150027.jpg

https://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/gallery/glacier-bay/p5151768.jpg

• Like 1

I agree that it doesn't matter whether port or starboard.

But I would say not to get your hopes up for wildlife viewing from the ship.  You may get lucky while on the ship, but, by far, the best wildlife viewing will be on well-planned excursions while in port.

• Like 1