Low Oxalate Diet?

kaymoz

Many cruise lines will specifically accommodate low-salt or gluten free diets, but what about the low oxalate diet? 
Has anyone found any ships adapting for oxalate content?

[This kind of diet is often prescribed for those who have had (or want to prevent) kidney stones.  Oxalates are fairly common in plants, so there are some foods ingredients derived from plants that contain high enough levels of oxalates that they should be avoided completely by some.]

While booking or shortly after booking your cruise, contact the cruise line's "special needs" department. I'm pretty sure the person on the other end has no idea about what your talking about, but explain your needs and they should be able to put a note in your booking. From my own experience don't expect them to do any more than that.

As soon as practicable after boarding seek out the maitre'd, pretty sure you won't be the only one 😐

He/She will make sure your dietary needs will be met. In some cases they'll have the Exec Chef come out and work out a special menu for you. If any specialty dining is involved you may have to do this again with that particular venue. 

Have a Plan B & C in case of a total "CF" 😎

1 minute ago, Philob said:

While booking or shortly after booking your cruise, contact the cruise line's "special needs" department. I'm pretty sure the person on the other end has no idea about what your talking about, but explain your needs and they should be able to put a note in your booking. From my own experience don't expect them to do any more than that.

As soon as practicable after boarding seek out the maitre'd, pretty sure you won't be the only one 😐

He/She will make sure your dietary needs will be met. In some cases they'll have the Exec Chef come out and work out a special menu for you. If any specialty dining is involved you may have to do this again with that particular venue. 

Have a Plan B & C in case of a total "CF" 😎

Yes. But the list of ok foods is so broad I can't imagine it's going to take anything special.

• Like 1

I think both PPS are correct. You could contact the special needs dept., but the diet is so broad in its allowable options, that you should be able to select from the regular menus, substituting other sides as necessary, again,  from the existing menu. As for the buffet - an even greater range of choices. But it will be your responsibility to educate yourself about what is limited or forbidden. Fortunately lists of these foods are readily available online. Print off a copy for easy reference.

• Thanks 1

Yes, agree that there are multiple lists of foods limits for a low oxalate diet.  But when not cooking at home, the trick is knowing which specific ingredients others have included, which isn't always obvious by looking at a dish on the buffet or by reading menu descriptions.

For example, is the soup made with a vegetable stock that includes spinach (one of the bad boys for oxalates)?

Just wondered if anyone has "been there" on this issue!

Edited by kaymoz
clarity

49 minutes ago, kaymoz said:

Yes, agree that there are multiple lists of foods limits for a low oxalate diet.  But when not cooking at home, the trick is knowing which specific ingredients others have included, which isn't always obvious by looking at a dish on the buffet or by reading menu descriptions.

For example, is the soup made with a vegetable stock that includes spinach (one of the bad boys for oxalates)?

Just wondered if anyone has "been there" on this issue!

Even for something common, like vegetarian indian, it's very difficult to I possible to get it first night.  I sat with someone vegetarian, and they starved the first night in the dining room, but got it night 2 and forward.

You can tell someone night 1, and works. Notes on booking, maybe, but not for sure. Plan on talking to someone night 1, if you cant find what you want on the menu, go to buffet first night.

My friend who has many food allergies carries laminated cards of what she CANNOT  have & gives them to the Chef when dining out

I am sure  contacting the special need dept BEFORE the cruise  & speaking with the Hotel manager or the Maitre'd  with a list of CANNOT have foods  you will be fine

No need to starve  even for one night

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Even for something common, like vegetarian indian, it's very difficult to I possible to get it first night.  I sat with someone vegetarian, and they starved the first night in the dining room, but got it night 2 and forward.

You can tell someone night 1, and works. Notes on booking, maybe, but not for sure. Plan on talking to someone night 1, if you cant find what you want on the menu, go to buffet first night.

there are vegetarian options available in the MDR every night. Unless the person was so specific in tastes that they will only eat vegetarian Indian food there’s no need to starve any night. I was a vegetarian for 12 years. It’s not hard to find something to eat even if it’s salad and side dishes. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kaymoz said:

that includes spinach (one of the bad boys for oxalates)?

The list above states that cooking it reduces the oxalates. Is your doctor recommending this? Perhaps you can ask them if  you could just take calcium and not have to deal with it. And if you're concerned about ingredients in a dish that has a number of ingredients then just don't eat those dishes.

I am a repeat kidney stone sufferer as is my sister.  In fact, of six siblings, four of us have had kidney stones.  The big foods to avoid are spinach, almonds, beets and rhubarb.  They are the major offenders.  Cooking does reduce oxalates, so I wouldn't worry about other foods.  As my urologist said, a true low oxalate diet is very difficult to follow.

One thing you can do is put a lemon slice in your water.  Lemon won't dissolve a kidney stone, but it will prevent formation or growth of an existing stone.  Another thing to do is to eat dairy along with an oxalate food.  You want the calcium and oxalate to combine in the gut so it goes out through solid waste disposal, rather than liquid waste.  

I've never had a problem finding acceptable foods on a ship.  Even a small amount of spinach is not a problem.  Now, I no longer put beets on my spinach salads.  

• Like 3

Speak with your medical provider for a list of foods that a person should avoid. 

Since the alcohol free diet isn't currently in vogue or required for me I've only got to target my need for an ultra low sodium diet. The staff tries hard to meet my needs but it is still up to me to do the hard work of avoiding the salt.

3 hours ago, dfish said:

I am a repeat kidney stone sufferer as is my sister.  In fact, of six siblings, four of us have had kidney stones.  The big foods to avoid are spinach, almonds, beets and rhubarb.  They are the major offenders.  Cooking does reduce oxalates, so I wouldn't worry about other foods.  As my urologist said, a true low oxalate diet is very difficult to follow.

One thing you can do is put a lemon slice in your water.  Lemon won't dissolve a kidney stone, but it will prevent formation or growth of an existing stone.  Another thing to do is to eat dairy along with an oxalate food.  You want the calcium and oxalate to combine in the gut so it goes out through solid waste disposal, rather than liquid waste.  

I've never had a problem finding acceptable foods on a ship.  Even a small amount of spinach is not a problem.  Now, I no longer put beets on my spinach salads.  

I don't need that kind of diet but will happily avoid beets and rhubarb.  And okra.  😀

It sound like you are on top of managing your dietary needs.  Good for you.   

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a shellfish allergy.  If I indicate that on the special needs form (along with my diabetes), I am guaranteed a visit from the dining room lead to ask if I need help navigating options in the menu.

Since you have a good idea of the big no-no's, it seems like that's a quick review of which salads, sauces, etc. have those ingredients.  Of course, I don't know how sensitive you are, so you'll have to determine what you feel is an acceptable presence.

I don't order seafood chowder, sushi, seafood salads *for myself* to avoid potential for shrimp/lobster, and that is enough.  But, my sister is more sensitive, and she gets an itchy throat if anyone at the table is eating shellfish.  YMMV.

I hope you can find easy ways to sort out the OK and not-so-OK, too.

On 3/19/2021 at 5:43 PM, Sue Do-Over said:

But, my sister is more sensitive, and she gets an itchy throat if anyone at the table is eating shellfish.  YMMV.

How does she handle this if she is at a table with people she doesn't know?  Thinking cruise ship main dining room type setting.

15 hours ago, crazyank said:

How does she handle this if she is at a table with people she doesn't know?  Thinking cruise ship main dining room type setting.

I would think that the staff would have no problem with her being allowed to NOT do that.

10 hours ago, crazyank said:

That doesn't answer the question.

Then allow me to expand. If upon boarding the ship she meets with the appropriate person and explains her situation I'd think they'd allow her to be seated at a two-top.

On 3/22/2021 at 2:18 PM, clo said:

Then allow me to expand. If upon boarding the ship she meets with the appropriate person and explains her situation I'd think they'd allow her to be seated at a two-top.

We simply request (and wait for) a table that fits our group - usually 4 of us, so rarely an issue.