Tipping crew and bring wine, etc on board

MSEm

Is tripping expected by crew on American Cruise Line.  Is tipping allowed.  I read about 1 cruiseline where crew  could not accept tips. The salaries for the crew member was much higher than on the mass market cruises.

Are passengers allowed to bring wine or other beverages on board?  There have been occasions where I would like to purchase a "local" bottle or 2 of wine to consume while on board.

Thanks for any information on taking an American Cruise line trip.

Tipping is not required, however, they will appeal for tips at the end of the cruise and I believe most people do tip.

they do not check any beverages you bring onboard, so you can bring your own wine.  Keep in mind they do have sodas available all day and free local wines at lunch and dinner. The wines are not the best and very limited in variety.  Not sure how many localAlaskan wines are available.

1 hour ago, MSEm said:

Is tripping expected by crew on American Cruise Line.  Is tipping allowed.  I read about 1 cruiseline where crew  could not accept tips. The salaries for the crew member was much higher than on the mass market cruises.

Are passengers allowed to bring wine or other beverages on board?  There have been occasions where I would like to purchase a "local" bottle or 2 of wine to consume while on board.

Thanks for any information on taking an American Cruise line trip.

Hi MSEm,

We have not seen the topic of "tipping" referenced in any of the "official" information pages of ACL's  brochures (nor have we asked about it).  We have presented various  staff members "token$ of our appreciation", and they have not been refused.

We have also seen some passengers bringing bags/boxes back on board, with no questioning by staff as to the contents (no x-ray machines).  A bottle or two of wine should not present any problem, based on our experience over seven ACL cruises.

I hope this helps.  "Happy Cruising"  ACL style

NRayH

Thanks for the quick response.  We are thinking about booking an Alaskan cruise for 2021 summer. 

Are service (tips) automatically added to your on--board account?

We did Holland American Alaskan  Cruise-Tour about 10 years ago We boarded the ship in Vancouver and where on the ship only 3 nights. We left the ship in Skagway and took the White Pass Train to the top where we boarded the tour bus for our 11 night tour.

15 hours ago, BaumD said:

Tipping is not required, however, they will appeal for tips at the end of the cruise and I believe most people do tip.

I had other reason to call ACL just three days ago, and I can confirm "that's all included", according to the customer service rep. I didn't ask if gratuities are explicitly called out on your bill, but it was implied that they are not. It doesn't surprise me to hear there might be an appeal at the end.

From the FAQ section of the ACL website:

What is included in fare?

American Cruise Lines’ per person fare includes passage, dining service, snacks, complimentary cocktail parties, and entertainment aboard the ship. Fares do not include shore tours (unless otherwise noted) or port charges and fees.  Guests are not expected to leave a gratuity on board.

5 hours ago, BaumD said:

From the FAQ section of the ACL website:

What is included in fare?

American Cruise Lines’ per person fare includes passage, dining service, snacks, complimentary cocktail parties, and entertainment aboard the ship. Fares do not include shore tours (unless otherwise noted) or port charges and fees.  Guests are not expected to leave a gratuity on board.

They (ACL) does state, "Guests are not expected to leave a gratuity on board",  However, if you feel one is warranted the crew will most likely not refuse them (nor should they).  It is a "gratuity", not a "service charge", therefore "not required".

We have never felt that crew members were "appealing" for tips.

NRayH

• 2 months later...

Big ships have a "Recommended" Gratuity of around $200 for a 7 day cruise which is paid in advance or daily charge to your account. Many of us leave frequent cash tips for bar service. At the end of the cruise we often hand cash to food servers and room attendant.

What do responsible and caring ACL cruisers do?

13 hours ago, BillHana said:

Big ships have a "Recommended" Gratuity of around $200 for a 7 day cruise which is paid in advance or daily charge to your account. Many of us leave frequent cash tips for bar service. At the end of the cruise we often hand cash to food servers and room attendant.

What do responsible and caring ACL cruisers do?

Billhana,

I am sure many of my cruise "friends" may object to me referencing myself as "responsible and caring", but I will still share what we do.  Since ACL states up-front that "Guests are not expected tp leave a gratuity on board", the crew surely knows that.  In our experience with ACL (seven cruises) we have not experienced any hints of "gratuity solicitation".  We have had some excellent service and some lesser service experiences -- just as we have on other cruise lines, where "service charges" were misclassified  as "gratuities".  Gratuities are never "forced" -- "Service Charges" should be listed as such.

It is your cruise experience and if you (hopefully) find good, or very good/excellent service being provided to you, YOU make the decision if a gratuity is appropriate (and at what level).  In our estimation the majority of crew members aboard the ACL cruises we have experienced have exhibited a welcoming and pleasant environment, and we have gladly provided what we thought "appropriate" expressions of our gratitude.

NRayH

• Like 1

That would dependent upon what the overall level of service that was provided, and your personal assessment as to how that would be best recognized.  Also your personal feelings about adding to the overall price of your cruise - on whatever cruise line.

NRayH

Here's another possibility:  There is always a post-cruise survey in which your opinions are solicited.  This is an opportunity to call out folks (by name) who gave you especially good service.  Not sure exactly how this benefits the named person(s), but I'm sure it does.  

• Like 1