Sea - Sandals - Socks

jetsfan58

Hello my ever faithful Carnival Cruise Nuts. Let's unwind, leave Covid behind for a change and have a bit of fun. I was reading an interesting article dealing with the retirement years. Many of us have reached and/or will be reaching that glorious time in our lives. Many of us, while we are Cruising, sometimes will let our "proverbial" guards down quite often.  Maybe we don't realize that those "flip flops" were not appropriate during dinner. Or maybe we didn't realize that we didn't need to keep our sunglasses on during the evening matinee performance of "Motown". As we grow older maybe (mainly men) just give up on fashion all together. 

I have actually witnessed (and maybe have been guilty once) of breaking the "Cardinal" rule of fashion; "Wearing Those Knee High Socks With Sandals".  

Let's hear from you Cruise Nuts regarding this long discussed topic? Wives, Women, Girlfriends and significant others please indulge us with your transparent commentary. Hopefully, many of us will get whatever message that you will be sending. If your commentary revolves around other "Societal" misfunctions while Cruising please alert us.  As always "Sea You On The Water"!!! 

• Like 1

LOL, my wife would tackle me like a linebacker if I tried to leave the house in Sandals and Socks which I sometimes put on until she notices just to mess with her. Great topic though, please give us those pointers on what not to wear. I basically wear the same old man Florida uniform in different colors every day. Sandals, shorts, a short sleeve shirt like a Redhead or a Columbia and my panama hat. One pair of my shorts has zip on legs for those days under 40. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This is just what I needed right now! If I saw my husband walking on deck in socks and sandals, I would be so mortified I would get off at the first port stop and fly home!!! LOL!!! I must say, however, that we are so homesick for our Carnival cruises that I hereby make the promise that if we can get back on board safely SOON-I will never ever criticize what other cruisers think pass for appropriate cruise attire!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I live in Florida so if I'm not at work I'm in shorts, flip flops and and death metal band shirt.

Same holds true on a cruise UNTIL Dinner time.  My wife makes me put on shoes and a collared shirt.  Oh, and pants.  

But on elegant night, since I'm already so casual the rest of the year, I love to get dressed up - in my Buchanan Clan kilt and Prince Charlie jacket.  I leave the sgian dbhu at home though.

There's a guy in my St Andrew's Society group who comes to most functions in his kilt and flip flops.  He's fun to drink with.  He brings the single malt. (I'm cheap and bring blends although the Buchanan's scotch is a pretty good blend).

I think* the kids don't mind wearing socks with sandals if they are the slip-on shower type sandals.  I mean, I see it at Wal-Mart all the time...not yet in the MDR though.

*I can only depend on what my granddaughters tell me as far as what the kids like these days.  

• Like 2

When my kids were younger I would show them photos from our cruise. My daughter referred to our attire as our cruise clothes. Pretty much the same everyday, which my husband would change out about every three days for the same outfit in a new color combo. I figured since no one knew us I would just let him wear whatever he wanted. Even if it was the same outfit for 3 days.

One thing that does bother me is tucking every shirt in, whether it's a t-shirt or button front. I've even caught him tucking into his swim suit.

For some men with gnarly fungus ridden toenails, it might be best that they keep them covered with sox and shoes/sneakers.  I can envision their rationalization on socks and sandals though, "I'm on vacation, rules don't matter" but no one is going to see those decrepit digits..

• Like 1

Here's a variation on the "knee socks and sandals" that I witnessed on a formal night on a very elegant ship:  A woman in the lounge was wearing a long gown with a slit up above knee level.  Lovely dressy heels.  Then she sat down, and it became very obvious that her sheer black stockings were the knee-high type.  She sat all evening on the velvet sofa with her bare knees detracting from the glamor of the rest of her look.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/8/2021 at 6:49 PM, shipgeeks said:

Here's a variation on the "knee socks and sandals" that I witnessed on a formal night on a very elegant ship:  A woman in the lounge was wearing a long gown with a slit up above knee level.  Lovely dressy heels.  Then she sat down, and it became very obvious that her sheer black stockings were the knee-high type.  She sat all evening on the velvet sofa with her bare knees detracting from the glamor of the rest of her look.

I am of the persuasion "Whatever It Takes" to enjoy the voyage.

• 1 month later...
On 3/8/2021 at 5:49 PM, shipgeeks said:

I would say that was probably me, sorry, but we always go dancing after dinner so it definitely wasn't me just sitting. 🤣 I've given up completely on any sort of hose finally. I just rub some fake tan on my legs prior to the cruise and hope I tan as the fake tan rubs off.

I've definitely done a few cruise don'ts in many people's books. On Caribbean cruises I take some nice summery cotton maxi dresses and wear those to dinner instead of a formal. Even on formal night I haven't had a problem getting into the dining room and most cruises most of the women I see are similarly dressed, but I do know that isn't really formal wear. Last couple of cruises before pandemic were Caribbean and I think they even dropped the formal and called it something else on those nights.

As far as the menfolk go I'm just happy to see them in a nice pair of slacks and a dress shirt on a Caribbean cruise at dinner. The dining room is always just a tad warm which is why I wear something cool and cotton. I'd be a bit of a hypocrite if I didn't cut the guys some slack, too. Other than that I let my husband wear whatever he likes. He mostly does ok. Mostly.

I work in a surf shop so I see the socks and sandals brigade regularly... though I will say I’m in Ireland so there’s probably a tiny justification for the socks in case of a cool breeze. 
but socks and slides...all the non-surfer teens/tweens go for that combo. 
I’d say 50% of the men’s flip flops/slides/crocs that we sell are purchased by the partners for the men so we don’t even see them. 

my one fashion oops happened on my last cruise, I wore a knee length dress and sat on one of the seats in the atrium before dinner... someone had left aloe behind them all over the chair and I promptly broke out in hives because the dress hadn’t covered the back of my legs. (An aloe allergy is not fun)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...