Foldable power wheelchair on American Queen Steamboat Company (AQSC)

kodykatt

Anyone familiar with the use of wheelchairs on board as well as excursions. AQSC website states "Guests requiring a wheelchair must provide their own collapsible wheelchair".  It sounds like one can only use manual wheelchairs. I have called, left messages and sent emails but no one responds on the use of the newer foldable power wheelchairs. We would love to cruise the Columbia & Snake River but using the manual chair is too difficult for my husband. Appreciate any info.

We are booked on April 3 and told the guy when we were booking that we are bringing a scooter and a walker. He was fine with it. 

When we told him my wife uses the scooter for long distances, getting on and off the boat, and would use the walker on the boat, he said that at each stop there will be golf carts to help with these distances. 

Hope you can get a good answer from them. Good luck

• 1 month later...

I don't personally have experience and our cruise isn't until next week, but u/Floriduh posted up a review of his experience on the American Countess sampler cruise here. Quoting from his report:

Wheelchair access:

Once on the ship there are no issues with my wife's scooter. Getting on and off the ship for boarding, excursions and debarkation was nearly impossible. The staff was always there and willing to help, but it was bigger than that. Four inch thick water hoses in front of the debarkation ramp meant my wife's scooter had to be lifted over the hose. And they are not light. 

The ramps often had angles that were hard to get over without getting "beached".

Once off the boat, most of the docks were covered with gravel. And, in one case, about 8 inch high railroad tracks. Most of the elderly crowd had to be helped over the tracks. Walkers, wheelchairs and scooters didn't stand a chance.