Over a thousand dollars to add an extra passenger?

coaster

Not only did they raise fares to over compensate for the FCC but now I understand from another thread that they're playing games and auditing the FCC down with no explanation.

It's clear XX is making a business decision that if you're not willing to pay their "luxury pricing" on forced included drinks, grats and basic WiFi, then they don't want your business. XX probably believes there are plenty of others willing to fill your previous cabin.  Let's see how many other cruisers remain after they've used up the accumulated FCCs at these inflated prices.

There are other cruise lines where you should find what you seek at the price you're willing to pay.  I agree with your decision to cancel and would have done the same.  Good luck and happy sailing.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

9 hours ago, coaster said:

Why did you comment then? I have cruised  often with my children in the past when they were younger in a 3rd and 4th  berth cabins. I know it is not normal for third and fourth passenger pay almost equal to to the first and second passengers.

I have sailed many times with kids as 3rd and 4th.  These are different times with capacity control and a whole lot of protocall. Pricing is probably set to discourage 3rd and 4th passengers.  With that said even during good times I have had the experience of booking 2 rooms for less money than 4 passengers in one room. It just depends on how the sailing was booking.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Many people do not drink alcohol, for religious, medical, moral, and legal reasons. They may be pregnant. They may be recovering alcoholics. They may be members of religious groups that are against it.  They may be below the legal drinking age.  

That doesn’t mean that the cruise line does not want them as passengers.

The cruise line sells a product. In this case they have chosen a product which allows you to order alcohol if you wish and if you are a legal age. It also allows you to order soft drinks, fancy hot chocolates, mocktails, and other beverages.

Beware of interpreting their offering as being anti-child.  You might just as well interpret it as anti former alcoholics, or anti pregnant women.  Etc.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

To me this is a benefit of the AI....maybe less kids on board. I can definitely see how it would show up in 3rd and 4th passengers as being more expensive.  

Edited by PTC DAWG

I booked before this 'all included' transition. You really think it is fair for us booking minors under legal drinking age to pay the same price for adults that consume alcohol? If Celebrity and their guest base hate children under 18.... All good. They will achieve their goal. 

Again, the AI is more than just Alcohol.  A bunch of stuff is included that is NOT included on other lines.  I understand you don't like it, but it is what it is.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lots of folks here who just want adult only cruises.

8 hours ago, lyndarra said:

I've never had that impression, but that's me.

8 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

To me this is a benefit of the AI....maybe less kids on board.  

@PTC DAWG is just one of many.

@coaster

Generally speaking the 3rd & 4th passenages are at 50% of the pp rate - On the cruise we have booked for December 22 for a 15 night holiday sailing in a suite it is 80% of the pp rate (for a 9 year old)

We've taken our son on 4 or 5 Celebrity Cruises and it has always been in that price range. I can't speak to other lines but I believe that it is fairly standard for that amount.

As others have said it may have something to do with the current rate for the cabin as a new booking to add the additional passenger(s) - I'm not sure we've always booked the cabin as 3 people to start with vs adding a person.

The only advise I can offer is if you decide to book it - watch for any specials Celebrity might run and then call about getting re-priced

• Thanks 2

I just randomly plugged in a few days and the normal trend on RCL was between $1100 and $1600 difference when you add the additional guests. When you consider that fare includes nothing, $2k extra doesn't seem excessive unless your baseline is from getting kids included for free. Royal's pricing on WiFi and drink packages are by no means a bargain and you are paying tips one way or another....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, coaster said:

Booked a cruise on Constellation out of Tampa for last November which didn't happen. Lifted and shifted to Reflection as there were no cruises out of Tampa for 7 nights around the same dates. Called today to try to add 3rd and 4th passengers to our modest cabin with a window. Teenagers who can't drink. Quoted a price at over a thousand dollars for each. Insane! Cancelled our cruise all together. What is going on with Celebrity?

Supply and Demand and profit curve and all that good stuff.

I Am sure you will be able to find something on another line which is more palatable in terms of cost.

bon voyage

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Since the original 2 passengers were L&S which I presume means they had protected fares it it possible that adding passengers caused the entire reservation to be repriced at prevailing rates and the quoted price was just the difference?   Or did you see an invoice with the actual per passenger pricing?

I would find it unrealistic to have one pricing for passenger 1&2 and a different fare base for passengers 3&4.

10 hours ago, coaster said:

O

Ok, guess they are discouraging folks to book with teenagers who cant drink. Adults only line is their goal like Virgin? 

Actually, that is not the full case, teenagers can drink, just not alcohol AND I do not think that X has removed non-alcoholic beverages from the packages or have they?

Do not feel discouraged, maybe another line which is 'more economically' priced for you is the best option and your teenagers may enjoy it more, as well.

bon voyage

I booked before this 'all included' transition. You really think it is fair for us booking minors under legal drinking age to pay the same price for adults that consume alcohol? If Celebrity and their guest base hate children under 18.... All good. They will achieve their goal. 

I can agree it would not be "fair" were the beverage packages only for alcoholic beverages, being that the package covers an assortment and sundry types of beverages, not sure what the issue is beyond price of each additional passenger.

bon voyage

• Like 1

Lots of folks here who just want adult only cruises. Will see how that works out for Celebrity in the long run. Don't think it is sustainable.

No, we do not along with many others, here.

We travel with children on X specifically and no other line, and will continue to until we believe the pricing is unfair for the experience and amenities provided. So far, it is not happening, considering.

What is sustainable is that those who travel with passengers under 21 on X, will continue to without thought or complaint, for the most part.

Some of our most memorable sailings included those under 21, a few of whom were in suites. Can you imagine what their families had to pay for that???

There is an idea, maybe a suite will be a better value for you? Maybe not, since the comment was lodged against being in a window cabin. Sorry.

bon voyage

12 hours ago, coaster said:

Booked a cruise on Constellation out of Tampa for last November which didn't happen. Lifted and shifted to Reflection as there were no cruises out of Tampa for 7 nights around the same dates. Called today to try to add 3rd and 4th passengers to our modest cabin with a window. Teenagers who can't drink. Quoted a price at over a thousand dollars for each. Insane! Cancelled our cruise all together. What is going on with Celebrity?

This is a dummy booking  for Nov 20, OV deck 3

image.thumb.png.3024d965e49cafaa80622452abf7d048.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, deliver42 said:

When you tried to add the extra passengers, the price was at current levels. You don't get go price retroactively by changing the booking. Celebrity would not have asked you for more even though you booked under the old system if no changes were made. I have the Apex booked for next year under the old system at a good price. I can't afford what they're asking now for the same cruise.

Just thought of this, one can wait until the 90 day window to add passengers, possibly without the AI?

Not sure how that would work adding passengers to cabins already booked, but would think it is similar, providing that the passenger count on that deck is not full for life boat capacity.

bon voyage

7 minutes ago, gerelmx said:

This is a dummy booking  for Nov 20, OV deck 3

g - thanks for posting this, yet I suspect that the OP got a good deal on their original booking and is comparing the cost to that point in time.

bon voyage

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Check out NCL they have, what appears, to be a great sale going on with 3rd/4th passengers at no charge.

Not sure if the departure ports or port visits are what you want or desire, but may be worth checking out.

bon voyage

• Like 1

In  the first post, OP said  they cancelled the res...unless I misread it.??? What did they do with the lift and shift res?

Seems ironic that  awhile ago, X was trying to fill cabins to max capacity  and not listing  certain dbl  occupancy  cabins.   Changing times. Changing price plans!

Maybe OP should try Royal C..great ships, and advertising a "beautiful day ay Cocoa Cay"..sound like fun for teens and kids.

Edited by hcat
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, hcat said:

In  the first post, OP said  they cancelled the res...unless I misread it.??? What did they do with the lift and shift res?

Seems ironic that  awhile ago, X was trying to fill cabins to max capacity  and not listing  certain dbl  occupancy  cabins.   Changing times. Changing price plans!

Maybe OP should try Royal C..great ships, and advertising a "beautiful day ay Cocoa Cay"..sound like fun for teens and kids.

It was the L&S reservation that the OP cancelled when faced with the higher than expected price of adding the teenagers.

11 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Note:  say what you mean when you post, don't drag it out for multiple posts and then get all...when well meaning folks try to assist/respond

It seems the OP only wanted those who agreed with him/her that this cost was somewhat outrageous to reply.  You only tried to help with your opinion.  FWIW....the cruise line will charge the GOING rate, not based on what he/she originally paid for 2 passengers;  I would think this is now a new contract.  It's take it or leave it...OP decided to leave it so conversation is over?

Edited by Oceangoer2

It has been suggested that once cruises resume, ships may only be allowed to sail at 50% or 70% occupancy to allow for social distancing.

Perhaps allowing 3 or 4 passengers in a stateroom may result in the ship having to sail with additional other staterooms empty to ensure the total pax onboard doesn't exceed the new guidelines. It would make sense that the higher cost for passenger 3 and 4 would discourage this and/or compensate the cruise line for revenue lost from sailing with additional unsold staterooms.

Just a thought.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, coaster said:

You ever book a third and fourth passenger in the same cabin before? Tell me if you did and what you paid.

I have not, but that is irrelevant to your question.  You seem to have posted and wanted ONLY people who agreed with you to reply, this is CC, not going to happen, nor should it.  We all take a few lumps on here now and again, some self inflicted, speaking for only myself!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Fouremco said:

@PTC DAWG is just one of many.

I'll admit it.  As it is now, Celebrity has many less kids than other lines I have sailed on, basically not even visible..especially on the 9 day and longer cruises....really not even the need to make it official.  

• Like 3