Any tips on Paul Gaugin cruise

Mayz

We are booked on a PG cruise for Nov 2021. We currently have a window cabin booked and wondering if we should upgrade to a balcony which is almost 5k more.  It is a 14 day French Polynesian cruise.  Any tips on cabins ans self guided shore excursions would be appreciated.

Edited by Mayz
Missed a word

I've sailed on the PG 3 times and will sail on her again in January.  We always book a window cabin on deck 4.  We really like the room.  For all the extra $$$, we'd rather sail more times.  Deck 4 is really convenient - nothing is far away. I wouldn't do deck 3 because that is where disembarkation takes place and line up for tenders.  With the small size of the ship, it is really nice to hang out on deck or one of the bars.

I agree with Cruisingsfun. Our 3rd time in a Deck 4 cabin will be in January and the location is perfect. The room is identical to most others on the ship, with the exception of a balcony. While we do normally prefer balcony cabins on other ships, we do not feel it is at all necessary on the Paul Gauguin. 

The great debate continues again...your trip, your choice....some fondly say “the ship is your balcony” ...I especially, for 2 weeks would want a balcony...the thought of being able to be by yourself relaxing...eating a meal or late afternoon champagne/snacks...opening up in the morning or evening for fresh air...sometimes you want some real alone time and again..fresh air...either way you are in paradise 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Supertuscan99 said:

The great debate continues again...your trip, your choice....some fondly say “the ship is your balcony” ...I especially, for 2 weeks would want a balcony...the thought of being able to be by yourself relaxing...eating a meal or late afternoon champagne/snacks...opening up in the morning or evening for fresh air...sometimes you want some real alone time and again..fresh air...either way you are in paradise 

We always get a balcony cabin as well for the same reasons you listed. Nothing better than a cocktail in hand, maybe a book, or just enjoying all that's around through out the day or evening. 

• Like 1

Your lifestyle has much to do with the choice of cabins. I've had cabins on decks 3, 4, 7 & 8. They all have their pluses. Decks 3 & 4 have easy access to the tenders and no one gives to a glare if you come out of your cabin to get in line for the tenders. Mid ships on decks 3 & 4 move a bit less if you have a bad case of motion sickness. 

Deck 7 gives you a balcony and though I'm up early zipping around with my camera on the uppers decks my Better Half enjoys sitting on the balcony with her coffee and putting on her makeup. She loves having a balcony. Deck 7 does move around a bit more in rough seas.

Deck 8 ... we enjoyed a Veranda B. Larger balcony and more space between the end of the bed and the wall which was nice. Deck 8 does move around a bit more in rough rough seas but I don't mind as I don't get motion sickness and I'm rocked to sleep like a baby 🙂 Deck 8 keeps you close to the pool bar and you get a butler ....

I will say many returnees love deck 4. Great price, less movement, close to tenders and you have large windows. For some going every year verses every other year is important and deck 3 & 4 is ideal for those who love FP but are on a budget. 

There is no one size fits all ... 

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna
  • Like 1

I'm in the Deck 4 group.  Long ago I decided that I'd rather do more cruises than have a balcony.  And we've been back 6 times, so there it is! It's often too hot out to sit on the balcony anyways, and the room itself is only very marginally larger.  We did have a deck 8 room once, and that was fab, but we got a deal on it that we couldn't refuse.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Kimmus66 said:

I'm leaning towards Deck 4 as a first time cruiser on this line.  I'm a light sleeper, so is Deck 4 quiet? do I have to worry about being near anything noisy?  Mid ship the best cabins on Deck 4?

421 - 424 is a great place on Deck 4. Far enough away from reception to not hear anything, mid ships, close to the rear elevator as this one is not as busy as the front one.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2021 at 11:31 AM, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

421 - 424 is a great place on Deck 4. Far enough away from reception to not hear anything, mid ships, close to the rear elevator as this one is not as busy as the front one.

Agreed. We have been in most everything from 419-423.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Deck 4 for sure . Now you ( and I ) can go on more trips with the money we saved.  Now on that note I did a balcony for the Antarctic which I loved so I could go in and get warm will still seeing out and not loosing my spot on the edge.  this cruise will be warm and you have many other places to hang outside.  ANyone have any tips on what shore excursions to do in the society islands etc?

56 minutes ago, Rosvdw said:

Deck 4 for sure . Now you ( and I ) can go on more trips with the money we saved.  Now on that note I did a balcony for the Antarctic which I loved so I could go in and get warm will still seeing out and not loosing my spot on the edge.  this cruise will be warm and you have many other places to hang outside.  ANyone have any tips on what shore excursions to do in the society islands etc?

That depends on whether you like the water or not, partly.  I have loved the stingray/shark excursion on Bora Bora several times, not sure what they call it now. Also done the catamaran sail/snorkel on Moorea which was great too.  On Moorea you MUST make it up to the Belvedere for the view--most of the land excursions go there.  Never have done an excursion on Taha'a, always just go to the motu.

• Like 1

If you're interested in vanilla at all, Taha'a is probably the best place to tour a vanilla plantation and buy some to bring home for yourself and as gifts. That island produces 80% of Tahitian vanilla. We ended up buying a largish vacuum-sealed pouch of beans and made our own extract at home. We then put that into small glass viles to give as gifts. It was similar price to store-bought Madagascar vanilla, but I think much better quality. 

There are a variety of articles online about how to make the extract, but it's pretty easy. Basically just soak whole vanilla beans in a mason jar or similar that's full of vodka or white rum for several months. When it's ready, just separate the alcohol, which is now infused with oils from the beans. The beans can be reused several times for this process or you can then split them and use them for other things. We also stuck a couple of beans in a jar with plain white sugar and used that for coffee flavoring. It was incredible!

Not cheap anymore ....

But very good  ... we make our own vanilla from the beans. Usually we buy a half Kilo. The pictured beans are vacuumed sealed so you can take on the plane plus they are from Tahaa ... purchased at the market in PPT.

vanilla.JPG

182851786_10226291751584310_2259095903120200969_n.jpg

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna
  • Like 1