Covid Test at Alaska Airports--Question

Italy52

Frequently our state legislature organizes around coalitions, not strict party lines.  This year our state legislature, which again had difficulty in organizing themselves, allowed some emergency legislation to lapse, so the mandate to receive a test has expired.  However, the state still has a contract with a testing company, and tests will be offered free of charge (if my memory is correct) to those who are interested for a period of time (my understanding is until the contract expires).  Test results are expected to be received within three days.

14 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Alaska recently removed the testing requirements 

https://www.travelalaska.com/Planning/Tips/COVID19.aspx

Thank you for your post.  We are fully vaccinated.  I have looked at the article that you reference.  However, the paragraph below still shows that we should follow pre-travel testing protocols --- meaning a COVID 19 test.  The information is so confusing.  We will be flying into Juneau and I asked one of the locals and she even thought we needed to arrive with a negative COVID test.  Ugh!

"A special note for fully-vaccinated travelers: 

• Fully-vaccinated travelers are defined as more than two weeks following receipt of the second dose in a two-dose series, or more than two weeks following receipt of one dose of a single-dose vaccine 
  • Fully-vaccinated travelers should follow pre-travel testing protocols, but do not need to practice strict social distancing while they await test results."
Edited by Italy52

14 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

Frequently our state legislature organizes around coalitions, not strict party lines.  This year our state legislature, which again had difficulty in organizing themselves, allowed some emergency legislation to lapse, so the mandate to receive a test has expired.  However, the state still has a contract with a testing company, and tests will be offered free of charge (if my memory is correct) to those who are interested for a period of time (my understanding is until the contract expires).  Test results are expected to be received within three days.

I have read articles stating what you have posted.  The confusing thing to me is what I listed in my post to Mary above --- sounds like a pre-test is still required.

57 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Perhaps a quick phone call to the state of Alaska may help.  

Tried, not getting though to a person.  Sent email and all I get are robo answers.  We still have time -- will probably just get the darn thing to be on the safe side.  We only have 5 days in Juneau so no time to waste.

@Italy

My wife is traveling to Anchorage from Seattle in 2 weeks, vaccinated. Hopefully there will be some definition to this thread to know exactly what to do, it is confusing. We’re following this thread.

If you haven’t already, you might try contacting the Juneau folks instead of the state.

https://juneau.org/covid-19/covid-19-travel

1 minute ago, Glaciers said:

@Italy

My wife is traveling to Anchorage from Seattle in 2 weeks, vaccinated. Hopefully there will be some definition to this thread to know exactly what to do, it is confusing. We’re following this thread.

If you haven’t already, you might try contacting the Juneau folks instead of the state.

https://juneau.org/covid-19/covid-19-travel

Glaciers, it is confusing.  I have been following the link you that you posted.  But, if you look at the Step 2 for fully vaccinated, it mentions a Covid-19 test.  Why must they make things so complicated???

I just got feedback from a department in Juneau with the following message:

"Good morning,

You are not required to take a Covid-19 test before entering the state, since the emergency declaration has expired. However, it is still recommended that all travelers get tested before traveling.

Let me know if I can be of any additional assistance."

Do I believe what I have been told --- not sure at this point.  PLEASE let me know what your wife experienced. 

• Like 1

For a non-cruise in August, I plan to get a test before departure, partly because I have an overnight layover in Seattle and the State of Washington still requires it. (The situation may, of course, change before that.)

I'm more concerned about a test before returning home. My state currently require one three days before returning, and I have an overnight on the way back, too, because even the earliest flight into SEA misses the last flight connecting to here, other than a redeye. It may not make that much difference, because my state also requires a test on the fourth day after returning, and quarantine--even if vaccinated--until receiving the results. If I skip both tests I'll have to quarantine for 10 days instead of about 7. That could also change.

22 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

For a non-cruise in August, I plan to get a test before departure, partly because I have an overnight layover in Seattle and the State of Washington still requires it. (The situation may, of course, change before that.)

I'm more concerned about a test before returning home. My state currently require one three days before returning, and I have an overnight on the way back, too, because even the earliest flight into SEA misses the last flight connecting to here, other than a redeye. It may not make that much difference, because my state also requires a test on the fourth day after returning, and quarantine--even if vaccinated--until receiving the results. If I skip both tests I'll have to quarantine for 10 days instead of about 7. That could also change.

All these COVID requirements make my head spin.  I wish you luck.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

All these COVID requirements make my head spin.  I wish you luck.

I agree.  If one is fully vaccinated, why would a test before leaving or upon arriving be needed?  

I know that it is still unknown as to whether a fully vaccinated person may harbor the virus and be able to spread it.  Is that the thinking behind the need for testing?  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Italy52 said:

......?

I just got feedback from a department in Juneau with the following message:

"Good morning,

You are not required to take a Covid-19 test before entering the state, since the emergency declaration has expired. However, it is still recommended that all travelers get tested before traveling.

Let me know if I can be of any additional assistance."

Do I believe what I have been told --- not sure at this point.  PLEASE let me know what your wife experienced. 

Italy52:  It is my understanding that Covid-19 tests are still being offered at Alaskan entry airports because the State had signed a contract with a testing company which extends to June 30th (I think that is the date).  The state officials had not anticipated that our State Legislature would allow the emergency mandates to expire, hence the contract,  but the legislature did as they were not organized (ie, no committee chairs).  When those emergency mandates expired Alaska lost millions of dollars in federal Covid-19 mitigation funding.  Politics in Alaska tends to be a spectator sport with at times a dysfunctional legislative session, and I suspect that we may have a dysfunctional legislative session this spring.

I don't know which Juneau department you contacted, but consider calling the office of the Governor, or even Alaska Airlines.

Just now, rkacruiser said:

I agree.  If one is fully vaccinated, why would a test before leaving or upon arriving be needed?  

I know that it is still unknown as to whether a fully vaccinated person may harbor the virus and be able to spread it.  Is that the thinking behind the need for testing?  

The states haven't caught up with the vaccination numbers...because, at this point, less than 10% have been fully vaccinated. As that percentage increases, and assuming new cases continue to decrease, things will change. Hawaii has indicated they will change their policy, and DC already has.

24 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

Italy52:  It is my understanding that Covid-19 tests are still being offered at Alaskan entry airports because the State had signed a contract with a testing company which extends to June 30th (I think that is the date).  The state officials had not anticipated that our State Legislature would allow the emergency mandates to expire, hence the contract,  but the legislature did as they were not organized (ie, no committee chairs).  When those emergency mandates expired Alaska lost millions of dollars in federal Covid-19 mitigation funding.  Politics in Alaska tends to be a spectator sport with at times a dysfunctional legislative session, and I suspect that we may have a dysfunctional legislative session this spring.

I don't know which Juneau department you contacted, but consider calling the office of the Governor, or even Alaska Airlines.

The place I contacted was sponsored by Alaska Health and Human Services.  I was directed there when I was looking for some info.  Subsequent to the email response I posted above  here is what I just got from the same person:  My question first, then her response.

"So just to be clear, we will be arriving in Juneau and will be spending 5 days there.  We are fully vaccinated and are NOT required to take a COVID test prior to our arrival nor at the Juneau Airport.  However, it is recommended that we do.  Just trying to avoid any setbacks that would prevent us from enjoying our time in your beautiful place."  Her response was:  "You are correct.  I hope you enjoy your trip."

We still have some time before our trip and will continue to monitor the Juneau government website to get more solid information.  We still are not 100% comfortable accepting what we have been told.  Just might wind up getting the test to be on the safe side.

Have looked at the Alaska Airlines website and they say a test is needed --- this is what I mean about conflicting information. 

1 hour ago, Italy52 said:

All these COVID requirements make my head spin.

Mine, too. And my state's rules changed while I was posting the message above. The latest is that quarantine for arriving from another state won't be required after April 1. Vaccination status won't matter.

BUT the state has determined that vaccinations are only valid for three months, starting 14 days after the final dose. This doesn't pertain to travel, only to quarantine after being tested following possible exposure.

They've also announced that a travel form, which is supposed to be completed online, will be required to leave the airport. They haven't said how you're supposed to show that you completed it online.

I should probably ignore everything of this kind, until a few days before departure.

Edited by kochleffel
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

The place I contacted was sponsored by Alaska Health and Human Services.  I was directed there when I was looking for some info.  Subsequent to the email response I posted above  here is what I just got from the same person:  My question first, then her response.

I would feel comfortable with the answer from the Alaska Department of Health and Social Services.  It is disappointing that Alaska Airlines is not more up to date in their information.  But if you want another response then contact the Office of the Governor.

• Like 1

It is very confusing.  I looked last night at the Alaska's government web site and it still says you need a COVID test either before you get there or at the airport.

I really hope this gets clear before May.

3 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

It is very confusing.  I looked last night at the Alaska's government web site and it still says you need a COVID test either before you get there or at the airport.

I really hope this gets clear before May.

It may not be clear before May.  But as I type this response on March 21st a Covid-19 test is not mandated to fly into Alaska.  When our state legislature failed to extend the emergency declaration and allowed the declaration to lapse on February 14th the travel mandates became travel advisories.  Our state legislature is currently in session, and the coalition which controls the State House has differing opinions from the governor and the State Senate.  The House coalition would be willing to reimpose the emergency declaration and extend the mandates until September.  The governor wants some powers but isn't going as far as the House position.  

Further complicating the situation is that the legislature is dealing with a Covid outbreak among staffers and some lawmakers (including the governor).   The Senate President's Chief of Staff has been hospitalized due to Covid (he may have been released by now).  The current legislative session is scheduled to end on May 19th but there is already talk of a special session.

I just returned from Alaska. 

The information they are giving out on the Alaska .gov website is indeed very confusing as I just lived through the confusion. 

Several family members traveled together and some on different days. 

We all (as directed) had a negative Covid test done 72 hours prior to traveling. 

Cost:  $154.00 per person 

Alaska had us create an account with their Alaska health portal. 

We uploaded our negative tests to the portal.  

Also had to tell them the color of our skin, which I refused to do. 

All of my family members get through the screening at the airport (Anchorage) just fine. 

Me, - I am stopped. 

Them:  Your negative Covid test did not get uploaded. 

Me:  No problem, I have the paper version with me. 

Them: Oh - that test is not valid. 

Me:  Well, I followed the directions exactly on the Alaska .gov website.  And my family members over there took the same exact test and they were just cleared for entry. 

Them:  Sorry.  You will have to go downstairs and wait in line to get a free Covid test.  (It's currently midnight) 

Me:  This is crazy. What if I do not go downstairs and get another test? 

Them:  Well, I am going to document in your portal that you do not have a negative Covid test. 

So, I go downstairs and wait in a long line.  

When I get up to the desk I show the gentleman my $154.00 negative Covid test and I ask him why this $154.00 test is not valid.  He looks at it and says, "it's fine".  He says the Alaska rules have changed.  He says I can get a free Covid test but it is not required. 

Major hassle. 

Lots of miscommunication. 

No where (prior to arriving in Anchorage) was it communicated that we could get a free Covid test at the airport.  We certainly would have saved the expense of $154.00 x 4. 

• Thanks 1

Boo's Mom, Thanks for posting. I am so sorry to hear about your experience.  Not a relaxing way to start off your vacation.  Like you, when I was doing my research on travel into Alaska I came across a lot of miscommunication so I am not surprised to hear about your story. Hopefully, some clarity will happen soon.

P.S.  I hope the rest of your vacation was great.