vaccine required?

delliemd

20 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

I understood Arnold Donald to have said won’t be.  I was very disappointed. Of course, Princess is also not saying what will happen when COVID occurs on board, as it inevitably will. Will my cruise be interrupted?  What happens with B2B guests (and Princess is allowing logical bookings at least as soon as January 2022) when an outbreak occurs? 

If that is the case, then I'll cancel my upcoming cruise.  I am not going to invest thousands of my hard earned dollars on the off chance there'll be no outbreak when there are passengers and crew member allowed on board unvaccinated.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, HappyInVan said:

So, how come RCL and NCL (plus the small companies) have a vax mandate??? 🙄

Looks like CCL is the Lone Ranger, holding up the industry! 😒

Its common sense. If 50% of the population vax, then 50% will sail.

Which is far better than what it is currently:  0%

51 minutes ago, K.T.B. said:

If that is the case, then I'll cancel my upcoming cruise.  I am not going to invest thousands of my hard earned dollars on the off chance there'll be no outbreak when there are passengers and crew member allowed on board unvaccinated.

If that is the case (vaccinations required for crew and passengers), then I assume in any port you would stay on the ship instead of possibly interacting with unvaccinated people in the local population.

• Like 2

On 4/13/2021 at 11:02 AM, USCcruisecrazy said:

That's a bummer...they are having to pause.  Luckily, it's a minimal number compared to what Moderna and Pfizer have given.  I think J&J is like 7 million with an additional 9 million available.  Hopefully, they decide the 6 cases of blood clots are unrelated to the shot or related to an issue those 6 ladies had in common.

I had the J&J vaccine March 25th and had a STROKE 48 hours later (almost to the minute.)  I was in ICU for 4-5 days then the regular neurology unit for the last couple days.  A vaccine trial doctor visited me in the hospital and I had an exam with them a few days after discharge.  

Id like to know if my stroke was related to the vaccine, but I accept their explanation that it was a spike in my blood pressure.  I am vaccinated and hope to go forward with our 2022 cruises, but Might cancel if Princess does not require vaccines.    

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GottaLuvCruising said:

I had the J&J vaccine March 25th and had a STROKE 48 hours later (almost to the minute.)  I was in ICU for 4-5 days then the regular neurology unit for the last couple days.  A vaccine trial doctor visited me in the hospital and I had an exam with them a few days after discharge.  

Id like to know if my stroke was related to the vaccine, but I accept their explanation that it was a spike in my blood pressure.  I am vaccinated and hope to go forward with our 2022 cruises, but Might cancel if Princess does not require vaccines.    

I'm very sorry to hear that you had to go through that.  I am glad, however, to know you have come through it okay.  It would be interesting to know how they determine what effects are actually caused by the vaccines and what are just unfortunate occurrences.  Best of luck going forward!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, K.T.B. said:

At some point they are going to have to balance how many will refuse to sail if everyone including the crew are not vaccinated versus how many will not sail if they must be vaccinated. Or possibly the CDC or various ports will make the decision for them.

53 minutes ago, GottaLuvCruising said:

They would be the ones to know since they have access to your blood work and diagnosis.

The problem related to the J&J vaccine is very specific.  It is appears from the data to be heparin induced thrombocytopenia.  That is where the body generate an immune response to heparin.  The platelets then start clotting in large numbers to the degree that the platelet counts get very low.  

So to put it simply if your blood platelet counts were normal than it is unlikely to be related to the identified issue with the J&J vaccine.

Because you did have an event after receiving a vaccine it will be reported to the vaccine adverse event reporting system.  That is the system that the FDA uses to identify potential safety issues.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, caribill said:

If that is the case (vaccinations required for crew and passengers), then I assume in any port you would stay on the ship instead of possibly interacting with unvaccinated people in the local population.

Speaking for us, as much as we would not like not being able to get off, we would cruise without leaving the ship.  However, what about others that leave to areas that people do not have the vaccine and the people leaving the ship without the vaccine.  We want to cruise so much and I will totally be more than disappointed if we cannot do 42 days b2bs in January 2022

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

At some point they are going to have to balance how many will refuse to sail if everyone including the crew are not vaccinated versus how many will not sail if they must be vaccinated. Or possibly the CDC or various ports will make the decision for them.

We want the crew vaccinated too.  How will that happen?  Will Princess pay for them to have their vaccines?  I think in the long run it would be money well spent.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mellon1 said:

We want the crew vaccinated too.  How will that happen?  Will Princess pay for them to have their vaccines?  I think in the long run it would be money well spent.

I think in almost all cases the vaccinations will be in their home countries before they depart to join a ship. I do not know if their home countries are paying for vaccines jabs for all residents or if the recipients have to pay for it somehow.

I suspect the problem bigger than payment is availability to the vaccine in the first place.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, caribill said:

I think in almost all cases the vaccinations will be in their home countries before they depart to join a ship. I do not know if their home countries are paying for vaccines jabs for all residents or if the recipients have to pay for it somehow.

I suspect the problem bigger than payment is availability to the vaccine in the first place.

Yes, our thoughts exactly.  I would think Princess would pay for their people coming on board and make sure they were OK, especially with them having interaction with food and people so much.  I know it would be expensive, but if they did that and required everyone to have the vaccine who boards, then they have done due diligence in my opinion so it is not a free for all.

15 hours ago, caribill said:

What A.D. (Arnold Donald, CEO of Carnival Corporation) said:

"Today everybody doesn't have access to vaccines. . . . Today, we can't buy vaccines to do anything."

1 hour ago, mellon1 said:

1 hour ago, mellon1 said:

I would think Princess would pay for their people coming on board and make sure they were OK, especially with them having interaction with food and people so much.  

4 hours ago, caribill said:

Problem is that many of the home countries are using Sinovac, the Chinese vaccine that is not very effective.

We are sailing in August on Sky Princess.  Fully vaccinated passengers but probably not all crew.  If there is an outbreak of Covid onboard among crew this will be the ideal testing ground for the vaccines.  Scientists will be watching closely and comparing vaccines as to their efficacy in a controlled environment.  If a vaccine is 85 to 90% efficient does that mean 10 to 15 people in a hundred are likely to get infected.  Would they show symptoms.  Would we all have to be tested.  Guessing the CDC will be closely monitoring these summer sailings.  

20 hours ago, K.T.B. said:

We feel the same way.....why go through all we have in the past year and then put ourselves in an environment (cruise ship) where Covid could easily spread as it did before.....and now we find out yesterday that people who have the Pfizer vaccine are going to have to get a yearly booster.....how are they going to keep track of all this on a ship?

Testing - not vaccination

when this all started - my wife ( frontline healthcare worker ) would test on Thursday, work her every other weekend shifts , then get the results on Tuesday ... after she had worked

a family unit member who works in the sports entertainment business would test on Tuesday, get the results, then be able to work on Wednesday ...

but in regards to vaccinations - my wife ( and me as an 'old' tagalong ) were some of the first to get vac'd - now 10 weeks past the 2nd Pfizer

and the family unit member got their first shot on Tuesday - Modena 

a Pfizer booster is absolutely no problem with us ...  

• Like 2

A very gentle reminder that the thread is about vaccines being required to cruise so let’s steer the thread back to the topic of the vaccine as it pertains to cruising!  

And let’s hope we get some positive news & guidance soon from the CDC so we can all start talking about the things we all love, actually cruising!

• Like 5

Travel & Leisure has an article online ( can’t post link) goggle it , about cruise line requirements this summer/ fall Princess is listed for the summer UK cruises. Other lines are detailed as well. Cruise critic is mentioned.   Passengers to be vaccinated, crew tested & quarantine. 

Grand Bahamas does not requirer you to have received the vaccine. However, you are not allowed to step foot on the island without getting a PCR Covid19 test that is negative within 5 days prior to arriving. On their web site, you fill out a form and attach your results. It must be given by an approved testing site. All US ones are. As for the cruise ships. I know that the Bahamas Paradise Cruise Lines does not requirer you to have received the vaccine. I hope eventually ALL will. I would feel a lot safer. I know there are those that disagree. That is fine. Your choice. My wife and I did get the vaccine. My son will not, my daughter and her husband did. So, as they say.  To each their own.

We have 3  2 week cruises booked on Princess in 2022.  We would really like to go.

However,  we will only go if everyone is vaccinated.  Just not ready to take the risk of going with those that do not care to be vaccinated.  We have so much enjoyed cruising but maybe it is time to do something else.  Sad. 

• Like 1

Cruise ships are petrie dishes .Even the thought of being a captive  on a ship is very very unappealing ,Thus ,we would never cruise unless  every body has been vaccinated on the ship . There is the possibilty of variants as well ;but ,at least no one dies that is vaccinated