vaccine required?

delliemd

3 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

carrying a small bottle of hand sanitizer and using it after we have finished touching the buffet ladles, the chairs, etc and just before we eat.

been doing that since our first cruise - 2007 - Diamond Princess - Alaska 7 day 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

Surely Norovirus is normally transmitted through surface contact?  Not sure why mask wearing would have any bearing on reducing outbreaks.

Again, not concerned.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, D C said:

Nothing different than cruising was pre-2020.

If vaccines actually are required to cruise, and the CDC says vaccinated people need not wear masks in the company of each other, then pray tell why masks would possibly be required anywhere on a ship. 

Because of this:  https://news.sky.com/story/vaccinations-alone-are-unlikely-to-contain-coronavirus-infections-in-the-uk-study-warns-12250239

14 hours ago, D C said:

If vaccines actually are required to cruise, and the CDC says vaccinated people need not wear masks in the company of each other, then pray tell why masks would possibly be required anywhere on a ship. 

15 minutes ago, K.T.B. said:

The last paragraph of the story says: 

"However, some measures, such as test, trace, and isolate, good hand hygiene, mask-wearing in high-risk settings, and tracing from super-spreader events, may also be necessary for some time," Prof Keeling explained."

Apparently the CDC is already conceding that situations where everyone is fully vaccinated no longer constitutes a "high risk setting."  Another good reason for cruise lines to require everybody on board be vaccinated (at least during initial restart.)

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

The last paragraph of the story says: 

"However, some measures, such as test, trace, and isolate, good hand hygiene, mask-wearing in high-risk settings, and tracing from super-spreader events, may also be necessary for some time," Prof Keeling explained."

Apparently the CDC is already conceding that situations where everyone is fully vaccinated no longer constitutes a "high risk setting."  Another good reason for cruise lines to require everybody on board be vaccinated (at least during initial restart.)

yep - RCL doing cruises "FROM" bahamas - and that is a requirement for all adults and crew

Both Royal Caribbean and Celebrity said adult passengers on the newly announced sailings would need to show proof of a vaccine for COVID-19 to sail. Royal Caribbean said children could sail with proof of a negative COVID-19 test.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, D C said:

Because of an outdated model with admitted flaws that lacks any support in real data, we should continue to wear masks when vaccinated? 

2 minutes ago, voljeep said:

we will

What voljeep said.

And, Daniel, in regards to the following:  "mask-wearing in high-risk settings".  Hundreds of people crowded around waiting to disembark would be one such setting.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, K.T.B. said:

What voljeep said.

And, Daniel, in regards to the following:  "mask-wearing in high-risk settings".  Hundreds of people crowded around waiting to disembark would be one such setting.

Hundreds of VACCINATED people?  Pretty much the opposite of high risk, but if you choose to wear a mask to further protect yourself when inoculated with a vaccine that's 90+% effective, you go right ahead.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

yep - RCL doing cruises "FROM" bahamas - and that is a requirement for all adults and crew

Both Royal Caribbean and Celebrity said adult passengers on the newly announced sailings would need to show proof of a vaccine for COVID-19 to sail. Royal Caribbean said children could sail with proof of a negative COVID-19 test.

Interesting that Los Angeles County just sent out last night an electronic app with our vaccinations recorded.

The electronic app (Healthvana) is probably available in other areas, I imagine.  Certainly a step up from the handwritten cardboard card, which I have also stored on my phone.

16 hours ago, D C said:

Nothing different than cruising was pre-2020.

In cruise speak "out of an abundance of caution."

3 hours ago, D C said:

Because of an outdated model with admitted flaws that lacks any support in real data, we should continue to wear masks when vaccinated? 

Best reason to cut down on Norovirus and "cruise crud."  Wearing masks should be, must be, required for everyone's safety and health out side the cabin.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Best reason to cut down on Norovirus and "cruise crud."  Wearing masks should be, must be, required for everyone's safety and health out side the cabin.

Noro has nothing to do with masks.  Noro is a foodborne contamination caused by people who use the toilet and don't wash their hands afterward.  A mask isn't going to help.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, D C said:

Hundreds of VACCINATED people?  Pretty much the opposite of high risk, but if you choose to wear a mask to further protect yourself when inoculated with a vaccine that's 90+% effective, you go right ahead.  

YES!  90%.  That's not 100%. Think about it.... 

But this is what the CDC says:  LINK

Until more is known, fully vaccinated people should continue to wear masks and stay 6 feet apart from other people in other settings, like when they are in public or visiting with unvaccinated people from multiple households.

12 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Noro has nothing to do with masks.  Noro is a foodborne contamination caused by people who use the toilet and don't wash their hands afterward.  A mask isn't going to help.

209618467_ScreenShot2021-03-19at5_00_28PM.thumb.png.1c342648f308faed96a85a4cf9cb03bb.png

Courtesy of the US CDC

No real difference from COVID-19.

Edited by Ride-The-Waves
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

Here's the announcement from Celebrity about the cruises from St. Maarten available to vaccinated guests.  https://www.celebritycruisespresscenter.com/press-release/1208/celebrity-cruises-embraces-the-magic-of-st-maarten-for-june-caribbean-comeback/

Nothing on Celebrity's website yet.  R/T air from Atlanta/Miami/Orlando runs about $450 and likely will require overnighting.  Expensive for an inside cabin for a 7-day cruise.

7 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

209618467_ScreenShot2021-03-19at5_00_28PM.thumb.png.1c342648f308faed96a85a4cf9cb03bb.png

Courtesy of the US CDC

That's pretty close to the opposite of covid which is primarily airborne via respiration. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, D C said:

That's pretty close to the opposite of covid which is primarily airborne via respiration. 

Which is why wiping down surfaces with alcohol-based disinfectants, washing hands, and wearing masks (in large pert to keep hands out of mouth/nose/eyes) is not important.  

18 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Courtesy of the US CDC

If that's what you want to believe, then wear a mask.  Just don't expect me to.  Maybe you should wait until they develop a Noro vaccine before cruising again.

Edited by Daniel A
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

FWIW... I will throw an anecdotal wrench into the mask debate with the news that a high school friend, 60ish, who had her 2 vaccinations in January, was diagnosed with COVID last week after her BP spiked dangerously high and she had to go to the ER. Antibody tests were done also. She had been exposed a week before her symptoms appeared. After I am vaccinated I will still be wearing a mask in crowds for quite a while, both to protect others and to protect myself, and that's ok by me.

If I had my way everyone who cruised would need the vaccine AND a recent negative test, at least until it has been determined how long the vaccine is good for and that the new variants are under control. Sometimes I think that regarding precautions, what some people think is reasonable and what other people are heartily against is directly related to how many loved ones you've lost so far. I've already lost some. Don't want to be one either. I don't consider myself "scared" as some folks would characterize it... learning from life experience is where wisdom comes from.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Which is why wiping down surfaces with alcohol-based disinfectants, washing hands, and wearing masks (in large pert to keep hands out of mouth/nose/eyes) is not important.  

Norovirus: direct contact infection - wipe down surfaces with disinfectant, wash hands and try not to touch your face/eyes/mouth.

COVID-19: wear masks as it's primarily an airborne / respiratory vector.

Don't confuse the prevention of the two different diseases.

57 minutes ago, MJC said:

FWIW... I will throw an anecdotal wrench into the mask debate with the news that a high school friend, 60ish, who had her 2 vaccinations in January, was diagnosed with COVID last week after her BP spiked dangerously high and she had to go to the ER. Antibody tests were done also. She had been exposed a week before her symptoms appeared. After I am vaccinated I will still be wearing a mask in crowds for quite a while, both to protect others and to protect myself, and that's ok by me.

If I had my way everyone who cruised would need the vaccine AND a recent negative test, at least until it has been determined how long the vaccine is good for and that the new variants are under control. Sometimes I think that regarding precautions, what some people think is reasonable and what other people are heartily against is directly related to how many loved ones you've lost so far. I've already lost some. Don't want to be one either. I don't consider myself "scared" as some folks would characterize it... learning from life experience is where wisdom comes from.

Glad you will not always get your way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Potstech said:

The vaccine is not 100% effective. If you come in contact with 20 infected people , 1 could infect you. Probably depends how badly they are infected, what strain and how effective your immune system is. Some people with compromised immune systems are more at risk. So wearing a mask is probably a good idea but it should be voluntary after you are  vaccinated. . 

1 hour ago, Potstech said:

I don't expect to get my way. Certainly this past year has not gone my way at all. But I am not the only one who thinks vaccine + negative test is a good way to go.

"Under recently announced Crystal health and safety protocols, all guests will need to be vaccinated at least two weeks prior to departure.  They will also have to meet Bahamian entry requirements, which include proof of a negative PCR test with 72 hours of departure and a negative antigen test on arrival."

https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Crystal-to-launch-Bahamas-cruises-in-July?utm_source=eNewsletter&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=eltrtopstory&oly_enc_id=7298I4314267H8L&fbclid=IwAR1Y03Jx6itoIG-GsFTTb9xPCKkSmakbCQjHVSVZjyWOBvtQapu1s6AlwEY

• Like 1