Travel agent questions

babs135

We've always booked through a travel agent and have never had any problems but in view of the slowness of returning to 'normal' cruising and to some extent the high prices which may well put off some people I find myself wondering about the financial status of some agencies. I am referring to those who deal solely with cruises.

If I pay a deposit and the agency goes bust BEFORE final payment what happens to my booking?  Is it (and my money) lost?

And

What if the agency goes bust AFTER final payment.  Same question as above.  Is my booking (and money) lost?

Bear in mind I'm in the UK where things may be different.

Some years ago we had booked a Cunard cruise with a reputable TA.  They telephoned several times requesting the final payment earlier than previously stated. We paid by credit card and a week later they had closed. No problem Cunard stated our booking was protected.

We have always paid part or all of the deposit by credit card and now as there are no fees pay the balance by credit card as well. If Cunard went under you would be refunded by theprovider.

2 hours ago, babs135 said:

We've always booked through a travel agent and have never had any problems but in view of the slowness of returning to 'normal' cruising and to some extent the high prices which may well put off some people I find myself wondering about the financial status of some agencies. I am referring to those who deal solely with cruises.

If I pay a deposit and the agency goes bust BEFORE final payment what happens to my booking?  Is it (and my money) lost?

And

What if the agency goes bust AFTER final payment.  Same question as above.  Is my booking (and money) lost?

Bear in mind I'm in the UK where things may be different.

One point noted at GS on the ships.

If there is a query on rooms, OBC, or whatever booked with a TA.  Then one has to seek address from the TA and not the Pursers Desk who will politely direct you