Holland America cruising plans

laddie

According to a recent article on cruise critic, cruise lines operating in the United States  will not resume cruising until the end of calendar year #0221. I am booked aboard Holland America ship Westerdam on a Med cruise scheduled to depart in the month of September calendar year 2021(from Venice, Italy). My question regards the safety of this plan. Are Holland America ships sailing in Europe inherently more safer than those that dail from the United States? I am concerned about the safety of this cruise. Please advise me with regard to this issue. Thank you

19 minutes ago, laddie said:

According to a recent article on cruise critic, cruise lines operating in the United States  will not resume cruising until the end of calendar year #0221. I am booked aboard Holland America ship Westerdam on a Med cruise scheduled to depart in the month of September calendar year 2021(from Venice, Italy). My question regards the safety of this plan. Are Holland America ships sailing in Europe inherently more safer than those that dail from the United States? I am concerned about the safety of this cruise. Please advise me with regard to this issue. Thank you

@laddie

Howdy! emo22.gif

Welcome to the Cruise Critic message boards and thank you for your first post on the Need Help Using the Forums? Check Here! forum. 👍 However, please note the following information is at the top of each page in the forum:

Note:  This area is intended only for questions and answers relating to technical assistance in using these message boards.  Please do not post general cruise-related questions or Roll Calls here.

To help you out I have moved your thread to the Holland America Line forum. The majority of your fellow Cruise Critic members with information about HAL frequent this forum and provide feedback here. Browse through the thread titles l👀king for threads of interest. You will probably find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that will be of interest to you.

Cruise Critic is a great resource for new as well as experienced cruisers and we are so glad you found us! emo34.gif  Please feel free to browse the Cruise Critic Community Categories list. Read a few threads in the different forums to get a feel for what each forum is about. Make sure you read any pinned threads (aka Stickies) on the top of the first page of threads in a forum. You will find very important instructions or information there.

Please remember the following stated in the Guidelines we all agreed to follow when registering for our free Cruise Critic memberships:

Browse Before You Post
Browse a topic first to see if your question has already been asked or answered by someone else. Also, many of the major cruise lines forums have a FAQ (Frequently Asked Question) topic that has been created by our members. Give that a try first. Browsing is your #1 best resource! Please post your messages in an appropriate topic so that you'll receive the best possible response. It is very time consuming to move misplaced messages that are in the wrong topics.

Anytime you need to start a new thread/topic on a forum, first make sure you are in the correct forum for your topic. Word your new thread title in a way to help the members know exactly the information you seek. This greatly helps the members browsing through the thread titles and if they know the information they will reply to you.

It is best to limit each inquiry to only one topic or concerning only one cruise line, one ship, one port of call, etc. and of course, on the correct forum. emo3.gif  You will get more replies that way. Be sure to mention your cruise line, ship, port or sail date in your inquiry as that sort of information will help your fellow members help you.

Wanted to let you know the Cruise Critic Roll Call thread for your line, ship and sail date will be the place for you to get to know the other Cruise Critic members sailing with you before the cruise. Your fellow Roll Call thread members may have important information posted in your Roll Call thread. Especially those that have sailed your line, ship or itinerary before.

Also, the Roll Call thread for your cruise is the only place on Cruise Critic where you and your fellow Roll Call thread members are allowed to post personal ads about sharing private tours, excursions, transportation etc. with each other to 💲ave money. That is ... if COVID-19 protocol allows by then. There is a "captive audience" since you are all sailing together! emo3.gif You will receive a much better response to your share request if you take some time to read the entire Roll Call thread, post an introductory post about yourself, and continue on with more posts back and forth to get to know the other thread members and allow them to get to know you first before you post your share request. That is the spirit of our Roll Calls. emo34.gif

To explain our Roll Calls and finding the Roll Call thread for your line, ship and sail date, please read What is a Roll Call? Everything you Need to Know and How To: Create A New Roll Call if one has not been started for your cruise. For more information about our famous Roll Calls, please read the Roll Calls and Our Policy Regarding Facebook and Roll Calls sections in the Guidelines.

And don't forget, after your cruise be sure to submit your review for publication. Many cruisers will benefit from your experience! See How To: Submit a Member Review.

So sorry this is so long, but I sincerely hope this information will be helpful to someone new to posting on our message boards. So glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, laddie said:

I am not sure how one can say any one cruise line is "inherently safer" because there has been no finalized policies announced or implemented, or experience sailing under these policies, so how can we determine this? We can't evaluate one cruise lines safety versus another at this point. I can feel pretty comfortable saying American oriented cruise lines like Holland America will likely be required to use the same policies and procedures in the US, and elsewhere.

End of 2021 is centuries from now, in Covid years. Nobody can tell you what is going to happen in the next 2 months, none the less 18 m onths.

If you don't feel safe the best thing is to stay home, if you still don't feel safe by final payment date cancel the cruise. It's any's guess what the world will look like in Sept 2021.

• Like 1

I'm not even sure that anyone can ever say that a cruise is completely safe.  How many times have we heard about Norovirus infecting groups of passengers on a sailing that affects the ability of the entire ship to enjoy a 'normal' cruise?  

For a period of time I recall consistently having to fill out a health questionnaire and being asked if we had any nausea or digestive issues in the past 48 hours, or fever.  How many times have we read about the inaccuracy of these questionnaires, because people would rather skirt the truth that lose thousands on a vacation?

We can only be guided by our personal gut feelings on how safe WE as individuals feel a trip is for ourselves.  What feels safe for one may feel very risky to another.

We are  on a Sept 24 2021 cruise  on the Westerdam from Athens to Venice. I see this cruise as at best 50/50 that it will happen. My wife and I have been vaccinated and are not afraid of being with others on a ship, no more than being around people who have the seasonal flu. Unfortunately the ultimate decisions about resuming cruise will not be up to the cruise lines or their customers, it all depends on governments willing to open up their borders and ports. We are prepared to social distance and where masks while onboard if that is what it takes to cruise again.

At 71 we are not ready to waste any more of our prime retirement years staying home shutdown to travel. We spent the last 20 years saving and investing so that when we retired we would have both our health and financial means to travel how and where we wanted. Our travel budget for the next few years is substantial and we want to spend it.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, terrydtx said:

At 71 we are not ready to waste any more of our prime retirement years staying home shutdown to travel. We spent the last 20 years saving and investing so that when we retired we would have both our health and financial means to travel how and where we wanted. Our travel budget for the next few years is substantial and we want to spend it.

You sound just like us.  Time stops for no one and we are wasting it at home.  We are a bit younger and plan to travel extensively the next three years or longer.  We are booked for a July 13 Barcelona/Venice cruise on HAL but I too have severe reservations that it will happen.  

Good luck in the future.

• Like 2

For those that want to travel, nothing wrong with a land adventure if cruising doesn’t work out IF the countries are open and willing.

that’s what we are watching as well as cruising.  

Sadly the news isn’t great today but it’s only March - a lot can happen between now and when you want to travel.  JMO.

On 3/14/2021 at 6:10 PM, laddie said:

Ships in Europe are not safer than US sailing ships.  The ships in the US have to follow the rules set up by the CDC and have to also follow rules established by Canada if they sail in Canadian waters.  I would be concerned about the safety of the international flight and the safety of health regulations in the ports you will be visiting.  By September the US should be fully vaccinated as long as the populace follows health guidelines.  The same may not be true for other countries.  Even if you are healthy and vaccinated your cruise will still be at risk due to local health regulations and conditions.  

5 hours ago, terrydtx said:

We have been in this mode since we fully retired about 7 years ago. We have been pretty low profile during Covid, but we are venturing out a little bit more. We will both be vaccinated by early next month, so hoping to ramp up the vacations...

7 hours ago, terrydtx said:

We are  on a Sept 24 2021 cruise  on the Westerdam from Athens to Venice. I see this cruise as at best 50/50 that it will happen. My wife and I have been vaccinated and are not afraid of being with others on a ship, no more than being around people who have the seasonal flu. Unfortunately the ultimate decisions about resuming cruise will not be up to the cruise lines or their customers, it all depends on governments willing to open up their borders and ports. We are prepared to social distance and where masks while onboard if that is what it takes to cruise again.

I hear you loud and clear, your viewpoints resonate with me, and I hope to meet you on the Westerdam because I am scheduled to board in Venice on September 12 for 24 nights after having been cancelled on virtually the same itinerary twice earlier in this year!

3 minutes ago, DeeDee Groff said:

I hear you loud and clear, your viewpoints resonate with me, and I hope to meet you on the Westerdam because I am scheduled to board in Venice on September 12 for 24 nights after having been cancelled on virtually the same itinerary twice earlier in this year!

Our Westerdam cruise in our third Greek cruise rebooking. If you haven't already you should join the roll calls for both segments of the cruises. If our Celebrity Spain cruise gets canceled, we will  add the September  12 cruise on the Westerdam.   We get to Barcelona on September 7 and we will go from there to Athens a few days early. We got a great deal on business class air and don't want to lose the tickets.

• Like 1

We feel like many here, we’re retired, ages 67 and 69, cruising is our preferred way to travel.  We feel as though we’re losing precious travel time.  One of us has already had cancer and is doing fine now, but having looked the grim reaper in the face once, we realize that time is a perishable commodity.  We have both been fully vaccinated and are more than ready to get out there on the sea again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cruiz'nBaers said:

We feel like many here, we’re retired, ages 67 and 69, cruising is our preferred way to travel.  We feel as though we’re losing precious travel time.  One of us has already had cancer and is doing fine now, but having looked the grim reaper in the face once, we realize that time is a perishable commodity.  We have both been fully vaccinated and are more than ready to get out there on the sea again.

I share your feelings. We are 82 and 85 and I too have had cancer. We are anxious to cruise before we lose any more time. We have had three cruises canceled and are on our fourth booking. If this one is canceled we will go for #5. Not giving up. 

• Like 3