Canal in February/New Locks or May/Old Locks?

Smokeyham

Hi,

Trying to decide between a February, 2022 full transit (SF to Fort Lauderdale) on the Ruby Princess (New Locks) or a May, 2022 full transit (LA to Fort Lauderdale) on the Island Princess (Old Locks).  Either embarkation port is fine.

From reading the posts I understand that the general recommendation is to do the old locks if possible.

I am wondering if the February experience might be a bit cooler/drier?

Your thoughts?

The weather in May  might be a bit drier, as opposed to February, but the Canal is in a tropical rainforest, and requires massive quantities of rain to operate. It can rain just about any day. The temps won't vary that much, and it is almost always very humid.

Been through 4 times. The coolest was in November, but I think that was a bit of an acclimatization situation, as we had some very hot (100 degrees in Puerto Vallarta, for example)and humid days just prior to transit, so the Canal was a bit cooler when we were in the Canal.

10 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

The weather in May  might be a bit drier, as opposed to February, but the Canal is in a tropical rainforest, and requires massive quantities of rain to operate. It can rain just about any day. The temps won't vary that much, and it is almost always very humid.

Been through 4 times. The coolest was in November, but I think that was a bit of an acclimatization situation, as we had some very hot (100 degrees in Puerto Vallarta, for example)and humid days just prior to transit, so the Canal was a bit cooler when we were in the Canal.

Thanks Bruce,

It sounds like weather should not be that different between the two voyages.

2 hours ago, Smokeyham said:

Hi,

Trying to decide between a February, 2022 full transit (SF to Fort Lauderdale) on the Ruby Princess (New Locks) or a May, 2022 full transit (LA to Fort Lauderdale) on the Island Princess (Old Locks).  Either embarkation port is fine.

From reading the posts I understand that the general recommendation is to do the old locks if possible.

I am wondering if the February experience might be a bit cooler/drier?

Your thoughts?

The Dry Season in Panama runs from late December through March.  As the name of the season suggests it is the driest time of the year, temps very little year around.  The February cruise IMO, might be a tad more comfortable in Panama than May.  February is the earlier part of the Dry Season and the humidity is about as good as it will ever get going to get.  Fair warning it probably will seem pretty humid for someone coming from a temperate climate in the winter months!  Breezes out of the north during the Dry Season are prevalent and your transit will be into the wind for most of the day, should help a lot.

If I were to pick a date between February or May, I would choose February for the reasons I listed above.  May can be a transitional period between Dry and Rainy Seasons, so a little harder to predict.  However there are always many more things to consider and I would only use this advice as a tie breaker.  It can rain at the Canal any day of the year, much less chance in February tho.  Enjoy🙂.

2 hours ago, BillB48 said:

The Dry Season in Panama runs from late December through March.  As the name of the season suggests it is the driest time of the year, temps very little year around.  The February cruise IMO, might be a tad more comfortable in Panama than May.  February is the earlier part of the Dry Season and the humidity is about as good as it will ever get going to get.  Fair warning it probably will seem pretty humid for someone coming from a temperate climate in the winter months!  Breezes out of the north during the Dry Season are prevalent and your transit will be into the wind for most of the day, should help a lot.

If I were to pick a date between February or May, I would choose February for the reasons I listed above.  May can be a transitional period between Dry and Rainy Seasons, so a little harder to predict.  However there are always many more things to consider and I would only use this advice as a tie breaker.  It can rain at the Canal any day of the year, much less chance in February tho.  Enjoy🙂.

Thanks,  That is a very helpful summary!