More Cruise Cancellations and Short Summer Cruises to go on Sale Tomorrow

tring

Just had an email from Fred.  Our July cruise is cancelled (as expected) and short cruises put on for July and August from Liverpool, Rosyth and Dover, to go on sale tomorrow.  Start from Liverpool early July, Rosyth late July and Dover mid August. First few are scenic cruising only, then the sort of short Itineraries he often does to scenic locations with a few ports. Lots of scenic cruising mentioned, with Balmoral doing a 5 night scenic fjords cruise from Rosyth.  I have also not seen any mention of the COVID procedures anywhere for Fred, so may still have not been published, but would presume it will be as we would expect.

No prices on them as yet, but says ring for details.

https://www.fredolsencruises.com/welcomeback?dm_i=8ID,7A7UP,16P00A,TJAYM,1

Edited by tring

Their up on sale but there's no details on policy yet which is odd - We already know from P&Os/Cunard and Sagas announcement a vaccination is required but theres a lack of any detail here which is going to put people off making a booking.

Edited by ighten
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ighten said:

Their up on sale but there's no details on policy yet which is odd - We already know from P&Os/Cunard and Sagas announcement a vaccination is required but theres a lack of any detail here which is going to put people off making a booking.

I agree, very strange, which is why I mentioned it yesterday.  Some policies may vary, given less passengers on the smaller ships and I do not necessarily think a vaccine would definitely be essential, though with Fred's normal age range, that should be the least worry anyway.  I have seen mention of a couple of people being able to book B2B's as well, yet P&O says in their faq's that B2B's would not be allowed, though that and other things may have been done by P&O to protect themselves - if no one on for more than a week, highly unlikely to get an "outbreak", though possibly a couple of cases could arise.  The cruise lines have to be careful to avoid any bad press to be able to go forward and succeed with something like normal itineraries. 

I certainly suspect some who have already booked will not be aware of the sort of changes they can expect on the ship.  Some interesting cruises though from scenic cruising with Orca on board, to ones which stop at a couple of small ports, which does set them apart from P&O's cruises to nowhere.  They are all regional departures as well.  Lead in prices not too bad, but that is for inside cabins.......

Edited by tring

Fred's cruises are certainly more interesting than those on offer from P&O but as you say, strange that nothing is being said about Covid procedures or vaccination requirements. Also interesting that P&O are only selling balcony cabins - which of course is easier for them as they are only using their largest ships, that of course have tons of balcony cabins (which is why they look like floating apartment blocks)...

Fred's prices are reasonable, although of course the solo fares come with a 100% supplement, meaning a 3 night cruise comes in at £800 😱🤬

38 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Fred's cruises are certainly more interesting than those on offer from P&O but as you say, strange that nothing is being said about Covid procedures or vaccination requirements. Also interesting that P&O are only selling balcony cabins - which of course is easier for them as they are only using their largest ships, that of course have tons of balcony cabins (which is why they look like floating apartment blocks)...

Fred's prices are reasonable, although of course the solo fares come with a 100% supplement, meaning a 3 night cruise comes in at £800 😱🤬

Wow, that is steep, is the P&O mark up % similar?  I can see with P&O's lower prices it would seem better, but as you say, blocks of flats, though we sometimes think you are better inside something like that - looking out, rather than looking towards it.

What would annoy me is the smaller top deck area, compared to the overall capacity (that surface area thing) and how close together the sunbeds are on the bigger ships, which basically makes a balcony much more important than on a smaller ship.  Also, going ashore with hoards of other passengers and only docking at bigger ports.  We may try one though for an itinerary we fancy one day, but doubt we would take to it as a regular thing. 

1 minute ago, tring said:

Wow, that is steep, is the P&O mark up % similar?  I can see with P&O's lower prices it would seem better, but as you say, blocks of flats, though we sometimes think you are better inside something like that - looking out, rather than looking towards it.

What would annoy me is the smaller top deck area, compared to the overall capacity (that surface area thing) and how close together the sunbeds are on the bigger ships, which basically makes a balcony much more important than on a smaller ship.  Also, going ashore with hoards of other passengers and only docking at bigger ports.  We may try one though for an itinerary we fancy one day, but doubt we would take to it as a regular thing. 

P&O have only given the entry-level price for each itinerary so far and someone has posted that even TA's will not know the full pricing details until Monday when booking opens. P&O never advertise single prices. Tbh, I fully expect that actual single cabins (15 on Britannia, 12 on Iona) will carry a 60 - 75% weighting and that a double for solo occupancy is likely to carry a 100% supplement. I reckon the 3 night cruises will be £250 - £300 per night for a solo traveller. I hope for those who are keen to book that I am wrong. It also seems that the prices being offered are "Saver" prices, meaning you can only book a cabin grade and P&O will then allocate you a cabin some time between booking and boarding, so you won't get a choice of location.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Britboys said:

Jeepers creepers have you seen the fare for  T2118?  That has increased by 40% for a basic suite compared to the cost last time it was offered. They are just trying to rip people off at FO. Also received the cancellation notice for that cruise in July, quite arrogant no sorry, jkust says "We are happy to tall you that your cruise is running but on a different date"!!!!!????>?

It’s a lovely itinerary, but £400 pppn for a junior suite (which is the lowest grade of balcony cabin on the “new” ships,), is ridiculous.

Is Fred expecting those people booked on the cancelled cruise pay the increase if they want to sail on the revised date?

10 hours ago, Pentlands said:

Jeepers creepers have you seen the fare for  T2118?  That has increased by 40% for a basic suite compared to the cost last time it was offered. They are just trying to rip people off at FO. Also received the cancellation notice for that cruise in July, quite arrogant no sorry, jkust says "We are happy to tall you that your cruise is running but on a different date"!!!!!????>?

Fred will be the same as any other cruise line and will be operating fluid pricing. The other factor in play at the moment will be that these cruises will be sailing at reduced capacity and so far fewer pax on board. The pandemic also seems to have made more people feel they need a balcony cabin so demand on those has probably been very high.

With regard to your letter, I think Fred needs someone new in their comms team to write letters that give unwelcome news. When Fred sold Boudicca I had very significant changes to the itinerary I had booked, specifically a double-transit of the Kiel Canal was taken out of it. The letter from Fred was very poor with almost no apology and concentrating on how lovely the new ship would be. They need to realise that relentless positivity in the face of disappointing news can be hugely irritating.

11 hours ago, Pentlands said:

1 hour ago, Britboys said:

Fred will be the same as any other cruise line and will be operating fluid pricing. The other factor in play at the moment will be that these cruises will be sailing at reduced capacity and so far fewer pax on board. The pandemic also seems to have made more people feel they need a balcony cabin so demand on those has probably been very high.

With regard to your letter, I think Fred needs someone new in their comms team to write letters that give unwelcome news. When Fred sold Boudicca I had very significant changes to the itinerary I had booked, specifically a double-transit of the Kiel Canal was taken out of it. The letter from Fred was very poor with almost no apology and concentrating on how lovely the new ship would be. They need to realise that relentless positivity in the face of disappointing news can be hugely irritating.

I see that cruise is heavily booked and when you go into the booking system only G grade is the only inside grade available at......wait for it, £2,699pp for the 13 night cruise, so not just a balcony problem.

Obviously there is fluid pricing at play, but looking further into what is available, it is obvious only the original cruises which are definitely not viable have been cancelled for July/August.  Those just going to ports in the UK, or places that could be used for scenic cruising have remained, so are set in between the new short summer cruises.  I see there could be further cancellations, or perhaps more likely, alteration of itineraries for those cruises, perhaps to make some into shorter cruises.  I suspect Fred is hanging on for now until it becomes clearer what can/cannot go ahead and in what form.  The ports  on the itineraries are mostly remote locations, so may well be possible to run excursions whist keeping everyone well away from the local community.  I can see why Fred does not really want to book more people on to those cruises, and of course there will be a reduced capacity allowed.

Still makes no sense at all that he does not seem to have given out any details of what can be expected regards covid restrictions, unless there has been something I have missed, or perhaps people booking new cruises will be sent that sort of detail with their invoices and given the chance to cancel if they wish.  I can see companies like Carnival Corporation, being American, may be more risk adverse, but if Fred takes on a higher risk and problems do arise, he has a lot to loose with bad press and at a time when he really does need to get the company back on it's feet.  With the general age of his clientelle, I would have thought the vast majority would want maximum safety in place - or is he looking to get customers who were not his previous base, like ones who will not be eligible to book P&O cruises?  It is said that younger people are more likely to spend on board.  After all he will need to fill those bigger ships when times return to something more like we would call normal.

TBF FReds jump from outside/inside to Balconys have always been quite a significant one and demand will be high..

Im still not sure though about the lack of detail re conditons of travel - The issue is that some of the actual things have nothing to do with individual cruise companies setting there own rules but certain aspects will be locked in stone by the Govt. I can see that perhaps smaller ships may have different rules but Saga seem to be following the same as the larger and its already been quoted that most of the basis of allowing cruising to startup again locally is based on the Saga model.

It wouldnt be the first time Freds announced an exciting restart to cruising that never materialised (though they are not alone on that) - however they certainly seem to be  alone on this quite significant lack of any detail.. Its a pity because there are some great routes Im tempted by

1 hour ago, tring said:

I see that cruise is heavily booked and when you go into the booking system only G grade is the only inside grade available at......wait for it, £2,699pp for the 13 night cruise, so not just a balcony problem.

Obviously there is fluid pricing at play, but looking further into what is available, it is obvious only the original cruises which are definitely not viable have been cancelled for July/August.  Those just going to ports in the UK, or places that could be used for scenic cruising have remained, so are set in between the new short summer cruises.  I see there could be further cancellations, or perhaps more likely, alteration of itineraries for those cruises, perhaps to make some into shorter cruises.  I suspect Fred is hanging on for now until it becomes clearer what can/cannot go ahead and in what form.  The ports  on the itineraries are mostly remote locations, so may well be possible to run excursions whist keeping everyone well away from the local community.  I can see why Fred does not really want to book more people on to those cruises, and of course there will be a reduced capacity allowed.

Still makes no sense at all that he does not seem to have given out any details of what can be expected regards covid restrictions, unless there has been something I have missed, or perhaps people booking new cruises will be sent that sort of detail with their invoices and given the chance to cancel if they wish.  I can see companies like Carnival Corporation, being American, may be more risk adverse, but if Fred takes on a higher risk and problems do arise, he has a lot to loose with bad press and at a time when he really does need to get the company back on it's feet.  With the general age of his clientelle, I would have thought the vast majority would want maximum safety in place - or is he looking to get customers who were not his previous base, like ones who will not be eligible to book P&O cruises?  It is said that younger people are more likely to spend on board.  After all he will need to fill those bigger ships when times return to something more like we would call normal.

They have just put a list of FAQ's on to the website which does clarify most issues. Not confirmed that everyone has to be vaccinated - they will see what Govt advice is nearer the time. If they do require vaccinations, anyone without both will get full refund or credit. Dining Bubbles will be created on board, so solos will not be restricted to dining alone! 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ighten said:

TBF FReds jump from outside/inside to Balconys have always been quite a significant one and demand will be high..

Im still not sure though about the lack of detail re conditons of travel - The issue is that some of the actual things have nothing to do with individual cruise companies setting there own rules but certain aspects will be locked in stone by the Govt. I can see that perhaps smaller ships may have different rules but Saga seem to be following the same as the larger and its already been quoted that most of the basis of allowing cruising to startup again locally is based on the Saga model.

It wouldnt be the first time Freds announced an exciting restart to cruising that never materialised (though they are not alone on that) - however they certainly seem to be  alone on this quite significant lack of any detail.. Its a pity because there are some great routes Im tempted by

FAQ's now published on their website. https://www.fredolsencruises.com/travel-confidence.

19 minutes ago, ighten said:

I know balconies, especially good sized ones have always been pricey on Fred and must admit I have never studied the relevant prices in detail, but I do not recall seeing insides at more than £200pppn, though may be mistaken in that for certain itineraries.  Certainly not normal for a UK cruise, but then that itinerary is as good as it is likely to get this summer, if indeed it goes ahead.  

I quite agree that I (and I am pretty sure everyone else visiting these forums) have a very good idea what to expect as plenty has been written both on the forums and also in various magazines/documents accessed in links placed on some posts and in other special cruise related media.  I am not so sure I have come across that information on the main news channels or other widely available news though, apart from the requirement by Saga and now P&O regards vaccines.  I also think a lot of cruise passengers, especially many of Fred's older clientelle, have not searched out such information over the past year, so could be quite unaware of what to expect and some do not look at other cruise lines, especially if they want a local departure point.  Fred had been saying for a long time that there were discussions going on with the government and other cruise lines (possibly also mentioned CLIA who as we know has been involved).  In fact he was more open about that than other companies who seemed to imply it was all their own decision.  Perhaps I have missed something, or it is buried in faq's etc., but as you say, it is a pity more details are not clearly available now, especially as IMO this start up does look fairly likely to go ahead (in some form) since the Government has said it could be the case (albeit provisional).

Another strange thing is that P&O say booking B2B's would not be allowed, yet I have seen someone say they have booked the first two Fred cruises as B2B's and have seen mention of someone booking three consecutive cruises as B2B's.  With seven day max cruises being allowed in the US though, that may be because of a Carnival Corporation policy though, rather than our Government as Carnival were big players in discussions with CDC etc. over there.

The future will be interesting, though must admit my mind is likely to be more on restaurants, pubs and travel around the UK on land becoming available once restrictions ease.  Realistically we will probably prefer to stick with UK land holidays this year with a couple of hotel breaks planned for mid June and early September.  Beyond that, I think we are much more likely to want to fly south for some warmer weather, rather than sail for the UK in winter.

1 hour ago, Britboys said:

FAQ's now published on their website. https://www.fredolsencruises.com/travel-confidence.

Sorry I started my previous post before I saw this comment from you, as I went off to get food whilst it remained on the screen.  I am for a colonoscopy tomorrow afternoon and that was the last light meal I was allowed before clear fluids only and starvation is imposed, so had to finish eating before 2pm.  I could edit my post appropriately, but my mind is just not into it at present, but I will go look at your link and stop moaning from now on - promise 🙂

Good to see he is looking after singles as I think there may be a number wanting to cruise after being isolated for so long this last year.

Cheers,

Barbara

Edited by tring

37 minutes ago, tring said:

Sorry I started my previous post before I saw this comment from you, as I went off to get food whilst it remained on the screen.  I am for a colonoscopy tomorrow afternoon and that was the last light meal I was allowed before clear fluids only and starvation is imposed, so had to finish eating before 2pm.  I could edit my post appropriately, but my mind is just not into it at present, but I will go look at your link and stop moaning from now on - promise 🙂

Good to see he is looking after singles as I think there may be a number wanting to cruise after being isolated for so long this last year.

Cheers,

Barbara

No problem Barbara. Yes, solos being looked after quite well I think and I would have seriously thought about booking one - but not at those prices!

Good luck with your procedure tomorrow. Certainly not the nicest way to spend today and tomorrow 😱

Andrew

• Like 1

Nice to see the FAQs have now appeared though though they are  a bit vague in some aspects - I wonder why they just dont want to have a policy from day one..

Some great routes (I suspect they will be the best)  so Im tempted but I think I'll wait for Cunards offerings first or Sagas if they add any more.. One thing that has actually put me off a little in Freds FAQ is the dining policy - 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, comcox said:

Just tried that webpage and got "OOPS, WE CAN’T FIND THAT PAGE!"

That is true and what I thought, but if you look at that screen there is a link to the right hand side of the page about the middle.  It says, "theses can be found here" and it is underlined - if you hover over that, you will see it is a link.  Having said that I would not get to excited as the faq's are basically a way of saying we may do this, or we will do whatever the Government and ports tell us at the time.  Then again realistically that is what all companies will be doing.

I think like others you may find you love or hate the dining policy.  Good that singles will be put in bubbles of six, but the same will happen with all passengers and everyone will be on set sitting, and suggestions they may stay with those people for other meals.  No flexible dining as was originally promised on the new ships, though there will still be the self service (which will not be self service of course).  No guaranteed table for two then.

Strange. If you go to the main front page of Fred's website, you can scroll down and click on an image that says "Safe Sailing Charter". That should take you to it. If for any reason that doesn't work, it may be because these sailings are only available to UK residents so might block people with overseas IP addresses.

9 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Strange. If you go to the main front page of Fred's website, you can scroll down and click on an image that says "Safe Sailing Charter". That should take you to it. If for any reason that doesn't work, it may be because these sailings are only available to UK residents so might block people with overseas IP addresses.

That "oops" page was coming up yesterday when I followed your link, as I have explained above.  I see we both posted at the same time, but faq's seem to be coming up following the advice from either of us, just by different routes.

To late to edit my previous reply to you, but can I point out that the summer cruises (July/August), which is what we have been talking about her, are only for UK residents and seems to be what is happening in all countries at present.  I am sure you will want to keep an eye on what Fred is doing and how it is going though, whilst you wait.

I have just read elsewhere that The Norwegian scenic cruising only for July cruise has been cancelled (Norway's rules) and someone has rang Fred and been told they cannot book B2B's.  Others are saying that agents were refusing to book B2B's because everyone needs a covid test within 72 hrs of each cruise and cannot be done on the ship.  So looks like Fred's staff not trained as well as the agents in this case.

3 hours ago, Britboys said:

That probably explains it.  I'm in the U.S., alas.