Viking Air / Business Class pricing

ClevelandKid

Greetings all!

I know a lot of you do business class for long haul flights, so I hope someone knows the answer to this:

If you go through Viking Air to book a flight in business class, how do they calculate the additional price you pay?  Let me give an example:  booking air fare is $1,100 pp or $550 for the inbound flights and $550 for the return flights (I have been able to nail this part down - if you book your own flights for the return flights, Viking will give you half of your money back).  The retail (online) price for return flight for economy is $700.  The retail price for business class is $2,000.  The additional fee for using Viking Air is $100.  Would I pay $1,400 to upgrade through Viking (2000 - 700 + 100fee)?  Or is it $1,550 (2000 - 550 + 100fee) If they come in under $1500 it is worthwhile to use them.  Anything else I would probably be better booking it myself.

Thanks!

The additional price depends on where you are flying from and where you are headed. You can call Viking and ask then what the upgrade cost is for you based on your itinerary.

My TA just asked what the upgrade fee would be for us.  If I understand correctly the cost of our round trip international flights will be $1000pp economy cost plus $3500pp upgrade cost for a grand total of $4500 per person for Business class seats.  Then we will pay $50pp to use AirPlus and another $100pp deviation fee if we decide that we want to arrive a day or two.

Yes, it is entirely possible that we could book our own flights and pay less BUT if our trip gets cancelled or we decide to cancel because of Covid, Viking will refund or voucher the cost of our flights. Much easier than having to seek a refund from the airline and hope we can get one. I already have one set of airline vouchers waiting to be used.

• Like 1

I would echo Peregrina, and add that the  convenience  of transfers, including luggage handling, is of value to me. I also really like the idea that if problems arise, there will be no finger-pointing - my one call is to Viking.

On the other hand, if there is a giant difference in prices, I can manage on my own. However, that being said (and flying out of our home airport in Reno, NV - your results may vary), Viking's business-class prices have been several thousand dollars less than my preferred airline's retail prices.

My impression here is that Viking contracts with carriers every so often for fares on their preferred airlines.  Many times the contracted fare is below what you can get on your own but... because these fares are contracted, a fluctuation in the market can drive fares available outside Viking below their contract price.  We ran into this with business class fares.  The 'on your own' fare was considerably cheaper than Viking's quoted fare. We were booked through VIking. I also believe Viking books refundable fares so you may find non-refundable fares on your own to be cheaper.  Also, in these times, a 125% voucher for a business class fare is nothing to take lightly. I check but we book our air via our travel agent through Viking and take Air Plus as well. The included transfers also nice.

The Wall Street Journal has an article on airline vouchers this morning (3/17/21). The airlines now have several billion dollars of issued vouchers coming up for expiration.  As prospective customers won't fly, and many countries won't allow customers in, the pressure is building.

Each airline has a different policy on extensions, and many have variations based on price paid.

3 hours ago, What was that? said:

I would echo Peregrina, and add that the  convenience  of transfers, including luggage handling, is of value to me. I also really like the idea that if problems arise, there will be no finger-pointing - my one call is to Viking.

On the other hand, if there is a giant difference in prices, I can manage on my own. However, that being said (and flying out of our home airport in Reno, NV - your results may vary), Viking's business-class prices have been several thousand dollars less than my preferred airline's retail prices.

I have been able to get business class seats less than Viking about half the time.  Most recently, for our South American cruise, where we flew AeroMexico.  Excellent flights, service and planes, and about $2000 pp less than what we were quoted by Viking.  Then, our dive trip to Fiji, we had tickets on FijiAir.  Never flew them, but these tickets were also about $2000 less than what I had found.  Unfortunately, that trip was supposed to be May of 2020, and has been rescheduled for Sept 2021.

After this trip, I realized that I had to do more digging than looking at just the mainstream airlines that come up on the travel search engines.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, SDHusker said:

Do you receive frequent flyer miles with Viking Air?

Yes. This is how we have been able to determine the price Viking is paying to AA for the flights as American’s points are based on cost not miles flown. 

Edited by Clay Clayton

1 hour ago, SDHusker said:

Do you receive frequent flyer miles with Viking Air?

It is hard to make a blanket statement. Frequent flyers miles are awarded by the airlines and the rules and restrictions can differ from airline to airline.

Sometimes it depends on the class of ticket that you buy (designated by a letter of the alphabet, not Economy vs Business). Best to check with your FF program before you book and let your Viking Air agent know what is on your mind.

19 hours ago, ClevelandKid said:

if you book your own flights for the return flights, Viking will give you half of your money back). 

Thank you for sparking a very informative discussion.  Sounds like it is best to ask Viking (or TA) directly about the specific itinerary, since prices and conditions for upgrades may vary considerably.

I did see in your post something I always wondered about. . . .

That would be interesting if Viking does indeed give you back half your money if you don't use it.

(i.e. air fare is $999 for a cruise and you only use one of the directions).  Did not know that.

Where that might come to play is in 2 back to back cruises (like Buenos Aires to Barcelona to Bergen).  Instead of paying 2 round trip fares you could do 1/2 outbound and 1/2 return.

Thanks to all of you!

My interest in this topic is because I am rapidly coming up on the time where the airlines will open for booking for the time frame of our cruise (Feb 25 through March 9, 2022).  This will probably be in the next 3 weeks, and as of right now, if I move quickly I can book a business class flight with Delta for $1,407 (that is the current price for a Wednesday in February, 2022).  

Interesting thing - if Viking would refund half of the air fee if you book your own flight, that would mean I would have $550 for the Cleveland to San Juan flight.  First class on that flight is $468.  Or put another way - you would be paying more for an economy seat than you would if you booked it yourself in first class.

Thanks!

16 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

I did see in your post something I always wondered about. . . .

That would be interesting if Viking does indeed give you back half your money if you don't use it.

(i.e. air fare is $999 for a cruise and you only use one of the directions).  Did not know that.

Where that might come to play is in 2 back to back cruises (like Buenos Aires to Barcelona to Bergen).  Instead of paying 2 round trip fares you could do 1/2 outbound and 1/2 return.

When you do a B2B you don't pay two full airfares. Viking works it out. 

Edited by Peregrina651

We recently booked a Viking Sea cruise from Venice to Athens. We have not sailed on Viking before, but are really looking forward to it. I expected to pay more for the cruise, but was really shocked at how expensive business class airfare was with Viking. We are used to paying anywhere from $2300 to $2800 on Princess, Celebrity and HAL from Seattle to Europe on a multi-city itinerary. Viking is asking $4900. We will probably take a chance and book our own airfare. The only thing I can figure is that the bigger cruise lines must get deeper discounts. 

3 hours ago, Poulsbo Cruisers said:

We recently booked a Viking Sea cruise from Venice to Athens. We have not sailed on Viking before, but are really looking forward to it. I expected to pay more for the cruise, but was really shocked at how expensive business class airfare was with Viking. We are used to paying anywhere from $2300 to $2800 on Princess, Celebrity and HAL from Seattle to Europe on a multi-city itinerary. Viking is asking $4900. We will probably take a chance and book our own airfare. The only thing I can figure is that the bigger cruise lines must get deeper discounts. 

Look at Premium Economy option. No lay flat but business class service. 

Edited by CharTrav

12 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

When you do a B2B you don't pay two full airfares. Viking works it out. 

Yes - it's a simple formula. If you combine two or more itineraries where each of them has an airfare - you pay the highest one of them. 

• Thanks 1

Sorry to jump in here with my question, but I've not been able to find an answer to mine on CC or Viking website. Our final payment is due the end of June for May 2022 cruise in the Med. We've added business air to our reservation. Can I drop the Viking air and get a refund for it if we find cheaper air ourselves after final payment, but before we've selected a Viking flight? I typically book when flights open up for our travel, roughly 300 days out from return flight date. This will be after our final payment is due. Thanks for anyone who knows the answer to this.

38 minutes ago, scmomofboys said:

Can I drop the Viking air and get a refund for it if we find cheaper air ourselves after final payment, but before we've selected a Viking flight?

Yes.

Next time you add air -- which you should always do anyway -- add just economy air and then ask the cost of business air for your itinerary so that you have the price point when you start actually looking at flights (make sure they give you the total amount for the flight and not just additional amount for the upgrade). You can always upgrade and pay the difference  once you decide if you are booking your own flights or booking through Viking. No sense in making final payment on the full cost of business when you aren't sure if you are booking your air with Viking.

Always add flights at booking because they can be cancelled anytime before  they are actually ticketed. It is more complicated to add after you book and you aren't guaranteed to get the discounted price on offer at the time you booked.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Next time you add air -- which you should always do anyway -- add just economy air and then ask the cost of business air for your itinerary so that you have the price point when you start actually looking at flights (make sure they give you the total amount for the flight and not just additional amount for the upgrade). You can always upgrade and pay the difference  once you decide if you are booking your own flights or booking through Viking. No sense in making final payment on the full cost of business when you aren't sure if you are booking your air with Viking.

Does this mean you are guaranteed this same cost for biz air later?  Do you get it in writing somehow?  #AskingForAFriend

5 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Does this mean you are guaranteed this same cost for biz air later?  Do you get it in writing somehow?  #AskingForAFriend

Viking Social, please correct me if I am wrong.  

As far as I understand how it works, the upgrade prices are set when you book the air, a flat upgrade fee based on your itinerary. The base offer may change but the fee is fixed. 

• Like 1

We usually book our own air, but decided to include air fare and Air Plus this go around since receiving the 125% vouchers.  Yesterday, I called Viking Air for our October cruise requesting Delta airlines.  The agent stated she would "price it out" (?) and yes an additional amount would be owed for main cabin.  I responded I thought the whole point of Air Plus was you're able to select the airlines? 

26 minutes ago, 55Division said:

We usually book our own air, but decided to include air fare and Air Plus this go around since receiving the 125% vouchers.  Yesterday, I called Viking Air for our October cruise requesting Delta airlines.  The agent stated she would "price it out" (?) and yes an additional amount would be owed for main cabin.  I responded I thought the whole point of Air Plus was you're able to select the airlines? 

Wow - this adds to the mystery then.  We've also done our own before but now have Viking Air and Airplus on the next cruises.  Our next is November.   I'm wondering then that even with Airplus you have to pay "hidden" extra charges for simple economy except for perhaps a couple choices on airlines if any choice?  What's the point of AirPlus then?

46 minutes ago, 55Division said:

You select from among the airlines has agreements with. Outside the box = extra.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, 55Division said:

The agent stated she would "price it out" (?) and yes an additional amount would be owed for main cabin.  I responded I thought the whole point of Air Plus was you're able to select the airlines? 

Yes - you can choose your airline and even specific flight. The question is whether the flights you ask for are in what I call their "bucket" of tickets. Sometimes - it's true - the flights you ask for aren't and require a differential. We always use Air Plus. What I do is research the flights myself and prepare a prioritized list of flight itinerary choices. Sometimes I've gotten my first choice; other times my 2nd; and in other cases none of my choices were in their bucket or the differential was more than I wanted to pay. Then we would discuss alternatives that would require no or a small differential. What I've found is that I should always include Lufthansa in my alternatives (my preferred airline btw is United) given that their flights are usually in their bucket and I can still get miles added to my United frequent flier account. Bottom line - yes you can choose your flights but you need to do your own research beforehand. They actually appreciate folks who call up already prepared.