How are the Swans doing 2021

Hi mates

Another season is just about to begin, so let's get to it. Who is your favorite? What will be the big story of the season? Any players switched teams that we should keep an eye on? Other notes????

Hope you are all well, no covid and that you are all getting your jabs.

Go Swans!

ML

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NoWhiners said:

Hi mates

Another season is just about to begin, so let's get to it. Who is your favorite? What will be the big story of the season? Any players switched teams that we should keep an eye on? Other notes????

Hope you are all well, no covid and that you are all getting your jabs.

Go Swans!

ML

Here is what the AFL has introduced for this season.

- Quarter lengths have returned to 20 minutes plus time-on just as they were in 2019. Quarters were slashed to 16 minutes plus time-on for the 2020 season only. 

- Each club will be allowed to make 75 interchanges per game in 2021, down from 90 permitted in 2020.

- A new man on the mark rule has been introduced in order to speed up ball movement. The defending player won't be able to move laterally on the mark and will be forced to become a statue when the umpire calls him to 'stand'. Any infringement before 'play on' is called will result in a 50m penalty.

- Following a behind, the player on the mark defending the kick-in has been pushed back by five metres. Last year the defending player was required to be 10m back from the goalsquare, this year it's been extended to 15m. 

- The AFL has introduced a medical substitute for all games this season. From round one, all clubs will be able use 23 players for each game instead of the regular 22, but that extra 23rd player will only be able to take the field after club doctors have assessed an injured or concussed player as 'medically unfit' to continue in the match.

Player movements.

• Like 1

Notable trades. Article about all clubs moves here.

Joe Daniher from Essendon to Brisbane Lions.

Jeremy Cameron from GWS Giants to Geelong Cats.

Aliir Aliir from Sydney Swans to Adelaide Crows.

Adam Treloar from Collingwood to Western Bulldogs.

After the first rollout of the vaccine for the frontline workers the next phase commences on Monday for the group I am in, the over 70's. It has been a very slow rollout which hopefully will speed up as production increases at the facility in Melbourne. The majority of Australians will be getting the Australian made Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine.

I will be barracking for my Mighty Pies this year. Go Pies.Collingwood Football Club - Wikipedia

• Like 2

Those changes all sound good to me, I have to go read about the club moves. Thanks for including these notes. Love the "speed up ball movement part". Compared to American football, AFL moves at the speed of light  😁 I think a medical substitute is a good idea, keeps things a bit more even and fair.

Have to go see if we'll be getting any of the games this weekend.

Good Luck to the Pies.

Go Swans!

• Like 2

Thanks, I'll have a look.

I read some of the stories at the link you posted. Looks like the Swans had a good draft--along with the Pies and Bombers. I thought Aliir Aliir was one of the strongest Swans--why was he traded? I hope they got something good for him.

Can anyone tell me what 'delisted' means for a player who has left the team? It sounds faintly ominous!

Go Swans!

Ah, I see. So sad. In the NFL,  players just sort of drift away or announce they are retired. Some become perennial 'camp bodies', i.e., they are brought in during training camp to provide numbers for practice.

Edited by NoWhiners
correction

Aliir Aliir got picked up by Port Adelaide, so still in the league.

Swans had a good draft, but their chances for this season are not rated very highly. Three of the top draft picks are likely to play this week.

Buddy, as strange as it seems, is injured. He may make a return in round 2 or 3.

Commentators said last night that they believed the medical substitution rule was breached by both teams to bring on fresh players.

Collingwood imploded in the off season.

Go West Coast Eagles.

Oh no, Buddy is still injured??? 😧 That was the problem all last season. I hope he's back soon. Hmm, 3 draft picks playing in an early game. That can't be good. But 🤞

Won't be on TV here. We probably won't see any games until June 😞 I'll have to depend on all of you and what I can read until then.

Go Swans!

Here is some more news about your Swannies. They have changed the words to the team song.

"Sydney Swans change 60-year-old AFL club song to remove gendered language. Players will sing ‘our loyal Swans’ instead of ‘her loyal sons’" Full article here.

Just now, By The Bay said:

Here is some more news about your Swannies. They have changed the words to the team song.

"Sydney Swans change 60-year-old AFL club song to remove gendered language. Players will sing ‘our loyal Swans’ instead of ‘her loyal sons’" Full article here.

What a load of codswallop. What would young Warwick say about it? 

th.jpg.2932cc9b4e9f06d16151d207d369ccff.jpg

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, NSWP said:

What a load of codswallop. What would young Warwick say about it? 

th.jpg.2932cc9b4e9f06d16151d207d369ccff.jpg

Whilst the Swans don't currently have a Ladies team in the WAFL, there are plans for a team in the future. Can't have them singing "Sons are we". 😲

• Haha 1

I think it may be a long year for us Crows supporters! Footy tips can finish now, I'm on top of my league due to fluking the exact margin (and it was really a fluke)! Evidently "them what knows" thought the Tigers would win by a lot more last night!

4 hours ago, By The Bay said:

Whilst the Swans don't currently have a Ladies team in the WAFL, there are plans for a team in the future. Can't have them singing "Sons are we". 😲

AFLW? The WAFL is the WA state league.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

NoWhiners, here is a newspaper article about your beloved Swans. It is behind a paywall. I view it using the Incognito feature on my web browser. Age article.

Thanks for the link, very interesting. It looks like I discovered the Swans (2017) just before they were about to go into hibernation from playoffs 🙂

Go Swans!

On 3/19/2021 at 11:09 AM, Docker123 said:

Buddy, as strange as it seems, is injured. He may make a return in round 2 or 3.

And Buddy's wife Jesinta is due to give birth to their second child any minute so he was never going to go to Brisbane. There was mention he was going to play part of a reserves scratch match against GWS tomorrow but with all this rain I would be surprised they would risk that.