Ritz-Carlton Cruises?

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this will help however I did a lot of research on The Ritz-Carlton Yacht Collection some time back. I was really interested because of the Brand, Ritz.  As I have heard, they originally expected their first ship to be finished well before now.  There was an issue in the Ship Yard.  It is now on track and if I am not mistaken, taken a short journey.  They still have work to do but the ship is a success. When I did my research what I was looking for was how they communicated with the Luxury Client.  This was about 18 months ago.  

They were quite frankly not ready for public conceptions then.  I was disappointed with the reservationist and the materials that they sent.  It was an information dump rather then directly answering my questions.  I got quite upset. Then I sent a note to the CEO.  

Three weeks later the CEO called me directly and spent 45 minutes on the phone with me. That is all it took to understand that this Luxury Cruise Brand it going to be both different and GREAT.  It is not going after the long term cruiser.  Instead, the folks that never considered cruising at all.  The ship design, size, amenities, dining will be a cut above. Like most luxury cruise brands, they are NOT all inclusive like lets say Regent.  Instead their vision is to allow for the guest to design their experience with the assistance of their team members. 

The CEO was crystal clear on his vision and how he will pull it off.  I was quite impressed and I think you will be as well.  Consider all the best the Ritz has offered in their resorts and hotels, on the sea.  To do this there will be a premium to pay however that is part of what makes the Ritz the brand it is.  Very exciting time in the Luxury Segment for a few fortunate few.  Enjoy.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

I had a B2B booked for last May and they were fine to deal with. I haven’t kept up with developments since but the itinerary I had booked does not exist for my cruising plan for next year.  Most luxury cruise lines are in fact all-inclusive or nearly so with the exception of excursions.  As I recall, I think that is the case with RC.  The first ship looks beautiful in the renderings and will be run more like a floating hotel.  The target audience is their hotel clientele.  I stay mostly at Four Seasons and boutiques and have avoided RC after having been overly “nickel and dimed” so I would be a little concerned about that being a factor on their ships as well.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2021 at 10:44 PM, Rebels82 said:

We have two cruises booked. It is all inclusive (food and drink on board) except S.E.A. restaurant. It is $285 per guest.

that is a lot f money on  a ship announced as all inclusive  -  i think silversea does charge 60 $ for "la dame " 

however  that is approximately the price of a tasting menu in a 3 starred restaurant in Europe  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, vistaman said:

that is a lot f money on  a ship announced as all inclusive  -  i think silversea does charge 60 $ for "la dame " 

however  that is approximately the price of a tasting menu in a 3 starred restaurant in Europe  

And in the US.  That is pricey and surprising.

that policy - charging extra - does remind me of the late 80s-  1989 I believe -  when the Royal Viking Sun was launched  ( she was not all in in those days )

there used to be a restaurant with the dishes of Paul Bocuse   and I think the extra was some 45$

it was not quite succesful as majority of pax were not intending to pay the extra  at all. 

Royal Viking finally closed it and after the takeover by Cunard it was used for the Italian speciality resto. 

Charging 285$ to pax who paid already 6000 $ minimum a person .... for a 7 days cruise 

It is true to form for RC…nickel and diming but this is taken to a whole new level.  I don’t mind paying extra for a premium  dining experience on a ship but I doubt this one can be worth it above and beyond what I hope would be excellent cuisine in the other venues onboard.

• Like 1

despite my relation with Hapag Lloyd is quite under stress for the moment , it must be said on board the MS Europa ( the older one ) there is also a restaurant by a German 3 starred chef from Hamburg Kevin Fehling 

that is free but places are limited   and only the 2 owners suites can book before embarkation. 

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Maui Bill said:

Just booked transatlantic 13 day cruise from Ft Lauderdale to Lisbon. April 23-May 6, 2022 look forward to trying this new ship and new line.

Please come back post-cruise and tell us your observations. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We are also on the transatlantic crossing Ft. Lauderdale to Lisbon in April, 2022--after several cancellations, some of which were pre-COVID due to the shipyard.  And some were covid related.  What I find strange:  Why is it to this day there are no real pictures of the ship?  Just virtual pictures.  Even if they haven't started sailing it has to be finished by now.   Makes me wonder if the ship is as good as it looks when computer generated. 

• Like 1

On 7/27/2021 at 6:55 PM, promoguy307 said:

We are also on the transatlantic crossing Ft. Lauderdale to Lisbon in April, 2022--after several cancellations, some of which were pre-COVID due to the shipyard.  And some were covid related.  What I find strange:  Why is it to this day there are no real pictures of the ship?  Just virtual pictures.  Even if they haven't started sailing it has to be finished by now.   Makes me wonder if the ship is as good as it looks when computer generated. 

I also find it BIZARRE that 3 months prior to the maiden voyage there are no real photos or video of the ship. No hardhat videos from the shipyard showing progress, no room tours, nothing. People have kept commenting on their social media posts that this is odd, but with no response. 

Does anyone know if these cruises really are launching in November? There may have been (should have been) more detailed communications directly with booked passengers. I cancelled at the time of the 2nd delay, and will reconsider booking again once I see some reviews after the maiden season. The ship does look like a dream. The question is: Is it only a dream? 

• Like 1

On 8/3/2021 at 7:13 AM, PrincessCatarina said:

I also find it BIZARRE that 3 months prior to the maiden voyage there are no real photos or video of the ship. No hardhat videos from the shipyard showing progress, no room tours, nothing. People have kept commenting on their social media posts that this is odd, but with no response. 

Does anyone know if these cruises really are launching in November? There may have been (should have been) more detailed communications directly with booked passengers. I cancelled at the time of the 2nd delay, and will reconsider booking again once I see some reviews after the maiden season. The ship does look like a dream. The question is: Is it only a dream? 

I think most folks on this thread may know the history of this brand and build for their ships.  The brand concept is to focus on non-cruise clientele.  Those that love the Ritz-Carton Brand but until the entered the Luxury Vacation Cruising segment, would never have considered a cruise.  My initial early guest services experience was the brand was not ready for public consumption.  I got a very similar feeling for the Virgin Brand.  Just not quite ready yet and to new to rate.  I believe that is part of the issue with the lack of clear and frequent communication.

The build of the ship is a completely different story.  The original ship yard just was not getting the job done.  It is my understanding the Ritz Carlton Yacht took it over. It is my absolute guess, that the ship will not be shown until it is officially done by Ritz.  Just like a brand new car by a major brand which even when the test drive it at a track, they cover it.  They want a big media send off.  

I need to add one really positive item.  I got to have a telephone conversation with the CEO of the Ritz Carlton Yacht Collection. This man is the real deal and if anyone can make this happen in a big way, it is him.  Most impressed with his vision, commitment and approach. Know if this ship is not perfect, he won't sail it.  PERIOD.  Just my two cents.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2021 at 8:13 AM, PrincessCatarina said:

I also find it BIZARRE that 3 months prior to the maiden voyage there are no real photos or video of the ship. No hardhat videos from the shipyard showing progress, no room tours, nothing.

It's strange from the perspective of other cruise lines which make a big deal over their newbuilds. But frankly its right in line with how Marriott handles launching a hotel, even high profile ones in their Ritz Carlton/St Regis brands. Usually the only glimpses you see are the architectural renderings right up until the opening.

The St Regis Bermuda just opened a few months ago and there were virtually zero actual pictures of it until right around the opening. Even now most are pictures that guests took. It's just how Marriott handles things.