Travel Insurance cruise cover.

majortom10

3 hours ago, JessM66 said:

The travelling against FO advice is a bit concerning, I have booked a world cruise for 2023, but it was booked when the FO advice was not to travel. The Nationwide insurance says it’s the later of when you booked, or when you took out insurance. I will have to take the trip extension add on to cover for the 120 day trip, which I will do nearer the time, as it’s too far in advance to cover me for the 2023 trip, so presumably so long as at the point I pay for the trip extension there is no FO travel restrictions in place I should be covered? Flipping hope so anyway!

I think the covid get out clauses are only if you have to cancel due to covid. If P&O cancel you'll get your money back anyway and is it stands at the moment, they'll give you a full credit if you can't go because you, or someone in your group, has covid.

The insurance still covers for illness/treatment due to covid whilst on a cruise or abroad etc, regardless of when the holiday was booked. That was how I had it explained to me by a nationwide insurance person. 

• Like 1

On 3/5/2021 at 7:15 PM, majortom10 said:

Anyone have the above account and use it for travel insurance was just wondered if it is OK as thinking of opening account. £13 a month for worldwide travel insurance is excellent value for money and wondered if anyone has paid extra for the optional cruise upgrade and what extra they charge for medical conditions that anyone has. 

Hi.. we have had this account for years and are very happy with it, also for the other benefits the account offers for car breakdown etc as well as travel. We are fortunate not to have many medical issues between us, so not sure how much they add for more serious conditions, but they do want to know everything, and I mean everything, about your medical experiences, visits to GP/hospital, medication etc and you have to keep them up to date every year. They then tell you if there is extra premium to pay. There is also an annual supplement for 70+ upgrade. They do now offer special cruise cover, but we have never taken that up. Not been bothered about those extras to be honest, as long as the main medical/emergency/repatriation challenges are covered, which they are.
We have claimed once only and for a cancellation of a villa at the beginning of the covid crisis.. like someone else has mentioned, it was a bit of a drawn out process with all the evidence they require, but we got there in the end. We are staying with them.

On 3/5/2021 at 9:57 PM, majortom10 said:

According to Nationwide website FlexPlus includes worldwide travel cover, the optional upgrade is if you want extra cover i.e. missed ports or cabin confinement etc.

Correct 🙂 

Considering the new requirement from P&O regarding minimum levels of travel insurance (checked as part of checkin procedure), maybe a good idea to check that cover is sufficient. ‘Cat among the pigeons’ thread details this.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2021 at 11:04 AM, bobstheboy said:

Interesting. Has anyone over 70 paid for the age extension and how much is it ? I am 75.

Just checked, it is £65.

Yes, we pay £65. The annual payment covers all people on the policy, not just the 70 year old.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Scriv said:

Yes, we pay £65. The annual payment covers all people on the policy, not just the 70 year old.

They ask all the medical questions again when you upgrade. Remember to tell them everything.

Edited by Scriv

17 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Considering the new requirement from P&O regarding minimum levels of travel insurance (checked as part of checkin procedure), maybe a good idea to check that cover is sufficient. ‘Cat among the pigeons’ thread details this.

My Nationwide Flex Plus Account cover is definitely sufficient - covers expenses of up to £10m - but I would agree, it is certainly a good idea to double check all the small print on insurance policies, especially since covid.

Edited by Scriv
  • Like 1

On 3/7/2021 at 3:43 PM, cruisenewbie1976 said:

I think the covid get out clauses are only if you have to cancel due to covid. If P&O cancel you'll get your money back anyway and is it stands at the moment, they'll give you a full credit if you can't go because you, or someone in your group, has covid.

The insurance still covers for illness/treatment due to covid whilst on a cruise or abroad etc, regardless of when the holiday was booked. That was how I had it explained to me by a nationwide insurance person. 

I have had the same discussion with Nationwide on this and agree. 🙂 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, davemorton said:

Has anyone on here used this that is in the older age brackets with health issues?  I am thinking it could be a cheaper option for a relative of mine.  80+ with pacemaker and a previous heart issue. 

Yes friends have cover for 8o+ - an extra £65 premium. 

As for cover for specific health issues, some will be included (I think they allow 2 issues from an acceptable list - known to them) but not if under active investigation and of course, some medical conditions may not be included on the 'list' and will incur additional premiums and if more than 2 acceptable 'issues' are involved it will result in an additional charge.  As previously stated it's important to be frank with them - they are interested in chronic conditions, any hospitalisation or treatment in the last year, or on-going investigations. It amounts to a check list I imagine of how many and what conditions are involved with, clearly, a risk level (for them) applied to the additional cost.  We've paid an extra £50-ish during a year when an additional issue arose.

But must say with a joint account covering both of us for Worldwide travel, we are very happy with the cover at £13 p.m. plus extra age and medical issue premiums.  Still less than I paid for a one-off when I developed a relatively non serious condition just before travel and our insurers (M&S Premium club at that time) wouldn't accept it as it wasn't on their list!  Had to go to another company for separate cover for one week to cover it!  

(We were also able to take breakdown cover off our car insurance which saved us money on that so effectively reduced the cost of the travel insurance element.)

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Couple-Somerset said:

We have the Nationwide Worldwide Travel Insurance on our standard free account (grandfathered in).

I called them yesterday to ask about any surcharge for a couple of new health issues.

They want an extra Premium of £248 for the 1st year, with annual reviews. The extra cruise cover is £40 per year.

Interestingly, NW did say I would be covered under the free Policy but not if any claim related to the declared health issues or any non-declared ones.

I decided to try Staysure too. Their top Policy quoted £302 but for 411 days not 365.

Think it will be Staysure for me - I have 5 cruises booked in the next 411 days, so I guess if I think of it as £60 per cruise for my wife and I then it isn't too bad lol

Interestingly, the NW phone quote clarified the position regarding the date a holiday was booked, any Gov No Travel Warnings and the effect on a Policy.

(1) If a holiday was booked during a No Travel period then the cancellation cover will not be valid.

(2) If a holiday was booked during No Travel period and actually taken against Gov advice then none of the Policy will be valid. Kinda obvious.

(3) A holiday booked when the Gov remove Travel restrictions are removed will be covered for cancellation - and for all risks if the travel restrictions are removed at the time of the holiday itself.

Thanks for the clarification re booking dates and FCO advice at the time.

As I read it, can I take it that the StaySure covers you both and for Worldwide cover?

I have a FlexPlus account but do not have a physical document stating that I have travel insurance. I’ve phoned them asking for a document but they say they don’t provide this unless you pay for an upgrade i.e. age extension, medical conditions etc. Also no where in the policy document does it state cruises are covered but the person I spoke to ensured me they were. But it means I don’t have a lot to show at check in, so a bit worrying.

1 hour ago, smokey01 said:

I have a FlexPlus account but do not have a physical document stating that I have travel insurance. I’ve phoned them asking for a document but they say they don’t provide this unless you pay for an upgrade i.e. age extension, medical conditions etc. Also no where in the policy document does it state cruises are covered but the person I spoke to ensured me they were. But it means I don’t have a lot to show at check in, so a bit worrying.

I am with them too and will just be presenting the letter you get every year with your policy number and the letter showing any medical conditions covered. I will have that together with the up to date policy book and a link to the full policy cover on the website. I think that by the time we all go, hundreds of us will have arrived with this and it will be sorted out and acceptable.

Edited by Scriv

4 hours ago, smokey01 said:

Hi, If you go onto page 41 of the policy document it tells you there about cruise cover, this is standard cruise cover , if you want missed ports etc you have to pay a £40 excess

We have the flex plus account and took out the extra days cover and the cruise extension for our world cruise 2020. Had to claim for broken wrist which they paid out some limits on the amounts like taxis fare. The missed ports paid out no problem.

Have looked at the cover following P&O insurance email and it looks like it is more than adequate repatriation cover is £10 Million

The original question also asked about cover for medical conditions.  I've had a Flex+ for years and was diagnosed with cancer and required "treatment". I declared the condition and they simply said that any claim caused by this would be refused. No conversation about type / stage or prognosis, a simple no.  My situation improved and I rang again 12 months later and it was reinstated on the understanding that I was no longer under investigation, awaiting treatment etc etc. So, fairly standard I think but as others have said, do declare everything.

1 hour ago, chrisg1uk said:

The original question also asked about cover for medical conditions.  I've had a Flex+ for years and was diagnosed with cancer and required "treatment". I declared the condition and they simply said that any claim caused by this would be refused. No conversation about type / stage or prognosis, a simple no.  My situation improved and I rang again 12 months later and it was reinstated on the understanding that I was no longer under investigation, awaiting treatment etc etc. So, fairly standard I think but as others have said, do declare everything.

But surely the whole point of disclosing pre existing conditions, is so that these can also be covered by the insurance?

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

But surely the whole point of disclosing pre existing conditions, is so that these can also be covered by the insurance?

That was also my understanding.  In their words they "declined to cover" this condition, which apparently they have the right to do.  

34 minutes ago, Couple-Somerset said:

If you rely on the free policy, they would have declined to cover any pre-existing conditions should you make a claim on a standard policy - whether you advised them or they found out.

For instance, if you broke your leg and that had absolutely nothing to do with any existing condition then they would pay out. Perhaps if you have diabetes and didn't declare it, they may find a link between diabetes and weak bones and then refuse the claim.

When I notified them, they offered a (large) payment premium should I wish to extend coverage to cover these conditions.

My fear - if you just went with the free policy - is that they would delay everything and go over any claim with a fine tooth comb - and the older you are the more there is to find.

Remember, insurance companies aren't there for your health lol

When I  had to claim in 2020 because we couldn t go on a cruise due to a new medical problem I sent a certificate from the GP showing all my medical problems.If I hadnt declared the conditions previously to the insurance company they would have found out when I sent the doctors note.Fortunately my claim was accepted and I received a payment quickly.However a friend ended up in hospital in USA on holiday after a fall but the insurance company wouldnt pay out because she had failed to mention that she suffered from epilespy (even though well controlled).I don't think its just to do whether the medical problem you are claiming for is linked with an existing condition.Its to do with the fact that people haven't perhaps been honest when filling in their insurance form and what else might they not be disclosing

29 minutes ago, Couple-Somerset said:

Thought I'd get a quote based on yours - £410 for the 15 months (and 12% via Quidco).

Age 54 with 1 TIA, diabetes type 2 and high blood pressure

Age 49 with perfect health

So, still looks like Staysure for me.

Wish I could understand the different quotes. I am 75, high cholesterol and blood pressure, wife 62, high blood pressure and diabetic type 2, yet quote is half of yours.

I checked my Staysure policy yesterday which I took out last June. £102 for the 2 of us for 15 months. We’re 56 and 59 and OH has slightly raised blood pressure. That’s Europe only but it does include Morocco.  Just normal cruise cover, not cruise plus. 

Edited by Ardennais

11 hours ago, chrisg1uk said:

That was also my understanding.  In their words they "declined to cover" this condition, which apparently they have the right to do.  

Yes of course, but I hope you declined to use them again, and found a more sympathetic company.

For what it’s worth, when I looked into the cost of the add on to the ‘free’ Nationwide policy for existing health conditions it way exceeded the cost of a totally separate standalone policy with a competitor. I suspect this device is being used to offset the cost of the free policies.