Travel Insurance cruise cover.

majortom10

Anyone taken out an annual multi trip policy and paid the extra for the "extra" cruise cover i.e. cabin confinement, missed ports etc. I have had 2 quotes from Staysure, AllClear and Avanti and wondered if it was worth the extra and if anyone has any other reputable insurance companies they can recommend.

8 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

I didnt realise that Avanti and Staysure are the same company, you learn something new every day.

We use Explorer, because there web booking site, is very easy to use.

We get cover for known health problems,and we pay the extra for all the cruise eventualities

Happy with them and with the cover we get..

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

We use Explorer, because there web booking site, is very easy to use.

We get cover for known health problems,and we pay the extra for all the cruise eventualities

Happy with them and with the cover we get..

That's the one I've been looking at. I got a quote including cruise cover and a couple of minor health issues, and I was pleasantly surprised. I'm glad you can recommend them.

Avril

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

That's the one I've been looking at. I got a quote including cruise cover and a couple of minor health issues, and I was pleasantly surprised. I'm glad you can recommend them.

Avril

2 missed ports, claimed and paid out with no hassle.

Easy to use.

21 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

Just checked their reviews.

93% bad.

I don’t see the need to have insurance to cover for missed ports, etc.

Insurance needs to be in place to cover potential financial loss such as medical bills, lost luggage etc

Missing a port does not incur any financial loss. In fact it probably saves you money by not spending ashore.

Brian

18 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Just checked their reviews.

93% bad.

Graham

We will be using them again, we fully insure,and read the small print, so we are totally aware of the contract we enter into, and the limitations that it contains.

• Like 2

Just now, BrianI said:

I don’t see the need to have insurance to cover for missed ports, etc.

Insurance needs to be in place to cover potential financial loss such as medical bills, lost luggage etc

Missing a port does not incur any financial loss. In fact it probably saves you money by not spending ashore.

Brian

Brian

Sorry I did not mention need, my choice of cover. Very happy with it!

25 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

On the Explorer Travel Web site it say's 4.58 out of 5 based on 4589 reviews.

We all make choices!

Well you would expect that they aint going to put crap reviews and give themselves a bad name.

1 hour ago, mercury7289 said:

Graham

We will be using them again, we fully insure,and read the small print, so we are totally aware of the contract we enter into, and the limitations that it contains.

Our annual Medical holiday insurance expires in May after they gave an extra 3 month's free.

I was looking for a possible alternative and never heard of Explorer.

I'm pleased that you are happy with them and that's why I googled them but was a little shocked to see all the bad reviews.

We had used Direct Travel insurance for 10+ years previously but when Pauline's mam died they wouldn't pay out to cancel a booked cruise because she died of Alzheimer's/ Vascular Dementia which was a long term diagnosis.

Then when I had my heart attack when we contacted them to let them know they instantly cancelled our policy which still had 3 month's left.

Edited by grapau27

31 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I've just been looking at Travel Insurance Saver on trustpilot as it was one of the companies that I saw when I was researching for new insurance. It has a 4.8 rating, and covers all we need.

Avril

TP was the one that gave 93% bad reviews for Explorer.

Edited by grapau27

5 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Our annual Medical holiday insurance expires in May after they gave an extra 3 month's free.

I was looking for a possible alternative and never heard of Explorer.

I'm pleased that you are happy with them and that's why I googled them but was a little shocked to see all the bad reviews.

We had used a company for 10+ years previously but when Pauline's mam died they wouldn't pay out to cancel a booked cruise because she died of Alzheimer's/ Vascular Dementia which was a long term diagnosis.

Then when I had my heart attack when we contacted them to let them know they instantly cancelled our policy which still had 3 month's left.

That's the  biggest problem Graham, you don't know how bad an insurance company is until you need to claim, and then it's too late. You do your own research and then take a leap of faith.

Avril

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

That's the  biggest problem Graham, you don't know how bad an insurance company is until you need to claim, and then it's too late. You do your own research and then take a leap of faith.

Avril

That's true.

When my mam died suddenly in November 2011 when we were in a pre cruise hotel Direct Travel were brilliant and paid for everything and why we stayed with them for 10 years.

We paid £650 for All sure worldwide medical travel insurance in March 2020 before our TA on Azura which was cancelled and didn't cancel the insurance because we had a June cruise, October Orlando holiday and February 2021 Iona cruises booked. 

Graham.

When we put a claim in last year for our truncated Lanzarote holiday, "Insure&Go" passed our claim on to their,  for want of a better phrase,  loss adjuster.  I guess many insurance companies, or more correctly, insurance brokers,  do the same.

The end result is that your claim is judged on an impartial basis,  based purely on the claim versus the insurance cover. We got our claim paid in full, but in all honesty, that is nothing to do with Insure&Go per se, but because our claim was legitimate and met the requirements of our policy.

So, I would say that most insurance companies "lay off" their claims, so that there is little difference between them.

The vital thing is to read the small print, and make sure you are covered for every eventuality.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

Well you would expect that they aint going to put crap reviews and give themselves a bad name.

You can find all sorts of that, on any company if you search for it .You asked for guidance on your first post on this thread, and I offered my replied.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mercury7289 said:

You can find all sorts of that, on any company if you search for it .You asked for guidance on your first post on this thread, and I offered my replied.

Yes and I thank you for your guidance I then have the choice having listened to others and searching the internet for reviews which I personally decide to take.

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

If you have medical conditions, we have used Free Spirit twice now.  They get good reviews and policy was a good price.

I've  just looked at Free Spirit and got a quote. I am pleasantly surprised at the cost for 31 days cover. One thing though Jean, I checked the box for cruise, but in the quote there was no mention of repatriation or anything cruise related, unless you count the fact that your not covered for container or cargo vessels😉 

Avril

19 hours ago, grapau27 said:

That's true.

When my mam died suddenly in November 2011 when we were in a pre cruise hotel Direct Travel were brilliant and paid for everything and why we stayed with them for 10 years.

We paid £650 for All sure worldwide medical travel insurance in March 2020 before our TA on Azura which was cancelled and didn't cancel the insurance because we had a June cruise, October Orlando holiday and February 2021 Iona cruises booked. 

Graham.

We used All Clear medical insurance.

Graham.