Which Bayonne-area Amtrak station?

SeaSprayTB

There will be 4 of us taking Amtrak from Boston for our Oasis of the Seas cruise out of Cape Liberty in May of 2022.  I want to arrive the day before and stay at a decent hotel near the port. I’m not sure which Amtrak station would be the best, between the Newark Airport stop, or the Newark Penn Station, or the new Moynihan Train hall at Penn Station NYC.  

I have mobility and health issues, so we will need rides from whichever train station, to a hotel, then to the port the next morning. 

Any suggestions? And you’d never know that I grew up in central NJ and have sailed out of Cape Liberty before, but we drove down and left our vehicle at the hotel for the week while we were on the cruise.🙄

Whichever hotel we stay at will need to have on-site food/cafe/restaurant for dinner and then breakfast. We’re not looking for the cheapest hotel, just a decent, safe hotel. 

Thanks in advance!!

I believe if you use the Airport station, you must take the shuttle train to an airport terminal to get to ground transportation.

At the Newark train station, mobility may be a little challenging as the tracks are all elevated and you will have to find the stinky elevators to get down to a taxi stand.  The only concern I would really have is that metro train and subway stations are always experiencing elevator outages, so I would check the NJ Transit notices for Newark for the best info.  Even better, I found this page on Newark Penn Accessibility and there is a phone number:  https://www.newarkhappening.com/plan/accessibility/ 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SeaSprayTB said:

There will be 4 of us taking Amtrak from Boston for our Oasis of the Seas cruise out of Cape Liberty in May of 2022.  I want to arrive the day before and stay at a decent hotel near the port. I’m not sure which Amtrak station would be the best, between the Newark Airport stop, or the Newark Penn Station, or the new Moynihan Train hall at Penn Station NYC.  

I have mobility and health issues, so we will need rides from whichever train station, to a hotel, then to the port the next morning. 

Any suggestions? And you’d never know that I grew up in central NJ and have sailed out of Cape Liberty before, but we drove down and left our vehicle at the hotel for the week while we were on the cruise.🙄

Whichever hotel we stay at will need to have on-site food/cafe/restaurant for dinner and then breakfast. We’re not looking for the cheapest hotel, just a decent, safe hotel. 

Thanks in advance!!

Since convenience appears to be high on your list of requirements, I'd suggest staying at the Doubletree By Hilton Newark Penn Station. It's attached to the train station so no transportation from station to hotel is needed. It has a restaurant which according to their website serves breakfast lunch and dinner. if you wanted to be more adventurous the hotel isn't far from the Ironbound neighborhood in Newark, which has some good Spanish and Portuguese restaurants.

You can get an Uber, Lyft , limo or taxi for your trip from the hotel to the port in the morning.

If for some reason you don't want to stay at that hotel you can just get an Uber, Lyft, limo or taxi from Newark Penn Station to any hotel in the area, and then do the same from hotel to port in the morning.

As a previous poster noted there is no ground transportation at Newark Airport station. You would have to take the AirTrain to one of the airline terminals to get ground transportation such as a taxi.

It makes no sense for you to get off the train and stay in  NY City if you're not planning to do anything in the city. Hotels are usually more expensive in Manhattan and you'll have a longer and more expensive Uber, Lyft, taxi or limo ride to the port in the morning.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...