Insurance cover for the latest summer cruises on offer.

seapals2

The FCDO advice has not been changed to allow the advertised summer cruises.  Where do we stand with insurance companies if we make bookings.  
P&O have clearly said that all passengers will need their own personal insurance cover for anything Covid related.  What about other illness and accidents would we be covered for anything if we travel against FCDO advice?  

You need to check with your insurance company but I always thought that if you travel to a country against FCDO advice then your insurance is automatically cancelled.  I would assume it would be the same with cruising, if it's against FCDO advice .

On 3/22/2021 at 10:35 AM, Bloodgem said:

You need to check with your insurance company but I always thought that if you travel to a country against FCDO advice then your insurance is automatically cancelled.  I would assume it would be the same with cruising, if it's against FCDO advice .

Even if the country is the UK?  They're going mad over this on their various forums on another well-known website.

On March 9th the gov agreed that cruises in UK waters came under the restrictions as the rest of hospitality which is set to reopen on May 17th.

So for the purpose of insurance cover no different to booking a UK hotel stay after May 17th.  
Insurance had worried me but reassured by the reply to the email I sent to the link on the gov.uk website on foreign office advice.  We have booked Princess with just a £50 deposit per person ... balance not due until 30 days before sailing well after May 17th.  
In the worst circumstance where we might have to cancel in the next month we stand to lose £100 but we could change the booking to another cruise at that time for no increased cost.  

• 1 month later...
On 3/24/2021 at 9:30 AM, seapals2 said:

So for the purpose of insurance cover no different to booking a UK hotel stay after May 17th.

I think it's slightly more complicated than that as, for example, Princess state "When travelling with us, insurance must include medical and repatriation cover of £2 million minimum that includes cover for emergency evacuations and medical expenses related to Covid-19."

Edited by stitchcreek

Yes .. took a while to get it all sorted.  Insurance company have now confirmed that we have full world wide cover whilst onboard.  Reducing to UK cover once back on land.  
The domestic cruises initially got round the FO advice on travel abroad but bought with them the added problems of insurance cover.  A lot of passengers decided to get single trip cover on top of the annual premiums. 
Seemed a bit over the top .. thankfully reason prevailed.  

• Like 1