Who has decided to take a summer staycation cruise?

seapals2

On 5/10/2021 at 9:51 PM, Purdey16 said:

Majortom it was also meat being served separately too we had empty plates then they all started rotating round the table and always on a table of 6 and everyone waited for everyone else to be finished being served before we all started, I must say this was my first and only one because it was five years later before I took my next cruise for our Pearl wedding Anniversary 

I’m glad they don’t do silver service. 

It’s not nice trying to get your try next to the plate and having to go through people when it’s hot. I hated doing it at Christmas. Much preferred fetching a plate from kitchen. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Host Sharon said:

That's a bit unfair to older passengers. One of my most entertaining table shares included a lovely lady in her 90s. She was so much fun - way more than the awful woman in her 40s I had to contend with on one sector of a world cruise who couldn't speak without a swear word in every sentence.

Sorry Sharon - I didn't make myself clear. In my neck of the woods a Grab a Granny Night is the somewhat unkind term used for an older population Singles Night. The passengers I was referring to were all looking to find a 'companion' ( and that's a massive understatement) for the duration of their cruise. I'm being mindful of this being a family friendly forum here - I could say more but can't /won't  but I'm sure you get my drift.

I was certainly not putting older people down - I'm one of them!

• Like 9

Big big thanks to previous posters' mention of the Blue Light Card discounts with P&O (for seacation cruises only). I phoned them yesterday to get a price for Britannia sailing 12th Sept. They offered me a massive 50% discount - unbelievable! So a clear view balcony is priced at £629. It seemed rude not to take advantage.

Have a good day everyone. Best wishes. Jane.x

• Like 13

Just now, Beckett said:

Big big thanks to previous posters' mention of the Blue Light Card discounts with P&O (for seacation cruises only). I phoned them yesterday to get a price for Britannia sailing 12th Sept. They offered me a massive 50% discount - unbelievable! So a clear view balcony is priced at £629. It seemed rude not to take advantage.

Oh wow Jane, that’s amazing. As you say, be rude not to take advantage of their generosity......👍

7 minutes ago, Beckett said:

We took advantage of that as well.  Also applies to Cunard and Princess (up to 25% discount).

I've always wanted to try Cunard, so I just need to convince The Ole Lady that this may be the time.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

Oh wow Jane, that’s amazing. As you say, be rude not to take advantage of their generosity......👍

I couldn't believe it Gill. So amazing. It's going to be hard to go back to full price after all these incredible NHS discounts.

Gill, I was so sorry to read about your buyers pulling out. Any more news on that front? Jane.x

1 hour ago, Beckett said:

I couldn't believe it Gill. So amazing. It's going to be hard to go back to full price after all these incredible NHS discounts.

Gill, I was so sorry to read about your buyers pulling out. Any more news on that front? Jane.x

Thanks Jane.

The vendors of the property I’m buying are giving me two weeks before it goes back on market.

I have some viewers coming on Friday so am keeping everything crossed.

I have had this happen three times now altho other two were genuine (illness and death!). Am beginning to think I’m not meant to move!

I was really stressed Monday and Tuesday but am calm now as it’s really (mostly) out of my hands!

Gill x

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

Thanks Jane.

The vendors of the property I’m buying are giving me two weeks before it goes back on market.

I have some viewers coming on Friday so am keeping everything crossed.

I have had this happen three times now altho other two were genuine (illness and death!). Am beginning to think I’m not meant to move!

I was really stressed Monday and Tuesday but am calm now as it’s really (mostly) out of my hands!

Gill x

Everything crossed for you Gill that at least one of your Friday viewers loves your property.  No wonder house moving is one of life's biggest stressors.  It's kind of your sellers to give you a couple of weeks but I suppose they are also eager to keep things moving.  I'll be thinking of you on Friday.  Don't forget, fresh flowers, coffee perking, bread cooking in the oven (just buy a loaf and heat it up) - should do the trick. Best of luck Gill.  Jane.x 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Beckett said:

Yes we already had a seacation cruise booked with Princess for September and foolishly enquired with Cunard about price for a 7nt cruise in August on QE and with BLC discount was given a price of £599 for highest grade balcony cabin so it would have been rude to refuse it 😁.

• Like 2

WOW... I've been investigating overnight hotel b and b and  cruise parking for seven day cruise in September.

Can't believe how the prices have gone up... even the modest chains want nearly £250 and the other hotels up to hundreds more.

Never had that trouble before... I suppose they must recoup somehow.  I'm almost sure it's not Cowes week. I'll have to check.

9 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

WOW... I've been investigating overnight hotel b and b and  cruise parking for seven day cruise in September.

Can't believe how the prices have gone up... even the modest chains want nearly £250 and the other hotels up to hundreds more.

Never had that trouble before... I suppose they must recoup somehow.  I'm almost sure it's not Cowes week. I'll have to check.

The Southampton boat show is 10-19 September.

1 hour ago, indiana123 said:

This must coincide with the Southampton boat show, prices are always higher over the 2 weekends.

3 hours ago, indiana123 said:

Thank you for that.  Of course that and Cowes week always pushes prices up.   A rethink is on the cards, I think.

I have booked a flex rate at PI in the past, then waited until nearer the time when usually prices fall, then switched to the 'cheaper' non flex rate.

3 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

This must coincide with the Southampton boat show, prices are always higher over the 2 weekends.

I don't know when the boat sails but picking Saturday 11th Sept (2nd day of the Boat Show) and went to Expedia. Chose Sort By "Price" and got 12 places under £75. If you  look at the Swan Inn, scored 4 points out of 5 and priced at £60 for the room.

I think this is a general phenomenon,  all UK hotels are charging full rate this year, no offers or bargains. Demand outstripping supply,  until we can holiday abroad as normal.

We've booked 3 separate weeks in UK all top wack, just happy to get in. Not going abroad till September,  not cruising till May.

20 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

I think this is a general phenomenon,  all UK hotels are charging full rate this year, no offers or bargains. Demand outstripping supply,  until we can holiday abroad as normal.

We've booked 3 separate weeks in UK all top wack, just happy to get in. Not going abroad till September,  not cruising till May.

Not sure that’s the case across the board. Several chains are offering deals, such as Village Hotels (especially for their new hotel near Eastleigh),  Hotel Indigo (part of the IHG chain) has ‘The Great Escape’ throughout the year offering a room, cocktails, antipasti, 3 course dinner, breakfast, early and late check out for £139. 

• Like 3

On 5/11/2021 at 7:57 PM, Host Sharon said:

That's a bit unfair to older passengers. One of my most entertaining table shares included a lovely lady in her 90s. She was so much fun - way more than the awful woman in her 40s I had to contend with on one sector of a world cruise who couldn't speak without a swear word in every sentence.

We have a staycation booked.

Pauline has a soft spot for older people and is best friends with all the over 70s at our church.

We both deal with lots of people on a daily work day and on holiday especially cruises we always ask for tables for 2 which we always get.

Freedom P&O and My Time RC dining the tables are only a few feet apart so it is easy to have a conversation with people next to us  without the time restrictions on a multiple occupancy table.

On our favoured Royal Caribbean our Diamond+ loyalty allows us a  Buy one Get one Free in speciality restaurants on the first 2 nights and usually our restaurant managers on board give us great discounts for most nights so we have many nights having romantic meals in intimate surroundings in speciality restaurants.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I have booked a flex rate at PI in the past, then waited until nearer the time when usually prices fall, then switched to the 'cheaper' non flex rate.

We have done similar for the PI s in Southampton and even today I have noticed that a pi that we have booked for June in Kendal has been reduced in price so will cancel and re book

I managed to get a good rate just overnight and parking at The Dolphin.   The fact that the boat show is on in September could cause a few problems for late booking cruise overnighters.  I've booked with a good cancellation policy.

Just booked hotel (price gone down got an sea-view executive room same price as standard the other day) And then booked cps parking. Wonder if we will have to park the car ourselves with covid restrictions, although it did say in e-mail if we return to another cruise terminal our car will be waiting for us. So obviously have to leave keys. Getting excited now.😁😁😁

• Like 3

14 hours ago, delgirl said:

So obviously have to leave keys

One thing I will not do. Personally I don't trust any of those companies after getting a car back with both driver's and passenger's seat adjusted also radio tuned to some really awful station. Driver's seat I could understand but passenger's seat as well! Why even touch the radio?

56 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

One thing I will not do. Personally I don't trust any of those companies after getting a car back with both driver's and passenger's seat adjusted also radio tuned to some really awful station. Driver's seat I could understand but passenger's seat as well! Why even touch the radio?

Been using companies such as CPS for many years, mainly at airports.

Never had an issue, although changing the radio is a bit odd.

At the end of the day, a car is just a means of getting from A to B, so I have no emotional attachment to it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MX-Drew said:

Very surprised by this was it CPS? Never ever had that kind of issue, having used them many many times, I remember we took mileage readings for the first couple of times, the car barely registered a change. 
I can’t speak highly enough of them, having experienced nothing but excellent services. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MX-Drew said:

That is largely my husband’s view too - except for CPS!  He took some persuading the first time, but when we saw the drivers - smart and mostly older - he was reassured and have used them since.  I understand your reluctance though, and it’s something we never do at airports.

• Like 1