Norfolk VA to Bermuda - Balcony Choice

cellfree

• cellfree changed the title to Norfolk VA to Bermuda - Balcony Choice
2 hours ago, cellfree said:

Cruising in October, (well not until 2022), and deciding if a Cove Balcony is a good choice at that time of year. 

It'll be chilly until right before you get to Bermuda and then again the morning after you leave. Temperature in Oct on the island is going to be in the high 70s during the day with a bit of the humidity you get in the summer subsiding. But it will most likely be in the 50s-60s on the way down at sea. 

Whether its worth it or not is going to be up to you (personally I like the extra space it provides) but in terms of usage on this trip it will definitely be curtailed. I never tend to use the balcony when docked in Bermuda because we spend most of the time off the ship-- but that will be the big opportunity to use it in warm weather. 

27 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

It'll be chilly until right before you get to Bermuda and then again the morning after you leave. Temperature in Oct on the island is going to be in the high 70s during the day with a bit of the humidity you get in the summer subsiding. But it will most likely be in the 50s-60s on the way down at sea. 

Whether its worth it or not is going to be up to you (personally I like the extra space it provides) but in terms of usage on this trip it will definitely be curtailed. I never tend to use the balcony when docked in Bermuda because we spend most of the time off the ship-- but that will be the big opportunity to use it in warm weather. 

Ty for quick response. We have always cruised Inside Cabins but decided (at least I have and I do the planning) that in our retirement years we will cruise Balconies as long as not really crazy prices. All that to say I do want to try a Cove Balcony at least once but maybe Norfolk to Bermuda in October is not the time to do it. 

Another question, do you know if Carnival ships pull into the Port in the same direction every docking? I would like to choose a Balcony that faces Bermuda but maybe it is all by chance. 

3 hours ago, cellfree said:

Ty for quick response. We have always cruised Inside Cabins but decided (at least I have and I do the planning) that in our retirement years we will cruise Balconies as long as not really crazy prices. All that to say I do want to try a Cove Balcony at least once but maybe Norfolk to Bermuda in October is not the time to do it. 

Another question, do you know if Carnival ships pull into the Port in the same direction every docking? I would like to choose a Balcony that faces Bermuda but maybe it is all by chance. 

Just to give you another point of view, while you might not get any use out of the balcony while you're at sea in October we always enjoy our balcony while in port in Bermuda. We like sitting out there and relaxing before getting ready to go to dinner and at night before going to sleep.

While I've never cruised on Carnival to Bermuda, no cruise line I've been on or observed in  nearly 35  years of cruising there only docks facing in a particular orientation. One week they may dock port side to the pier and the next week starboard to the pier. I've actually been on two cruises that switched from one orientation to the other during the time they were in port . That can happen if weather or tide conditions upon arrival make it easier to dock one way, but the ship needs to do required lifeboat tests on the side that is originally tied to the pier, forcing a reversal of docking orientation so that those lifeboats are facing the water instead. The view is fine, but quite different, either way.

12 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Just to give you another point of view, while you might not get any use out of the balcony while you're at sea in October we always enjoy our balcony while in port in Bermuda. We like sitting out there and relaxing before getting ready to go to dinner and at night before going to sleep.

While I've never cruised on Carnival to Bermuda, no cruise line I've been on or observed in  nearly 35  years of cruising there only docks facing in a particular orientation. One week they may dock port side to the pier and the next week starboard to the pier. I've actually been on two cruises that switched from one orientation to the other during the time they were in port . That can happen if weather or tide conditions upon arrival make it easier to dock one way, but the ship needs to do required lifeboat tests on the side that is originally tied to the pier, forcing a reversal of docking orientation so that those lifeboats are facing the water instead. The view is fine, but quite different, either way.

So it appears (even though PVP suggested ships always dock one way) that it is definitely wait and see until we dock in Bermuda (not until 2022 - oh dear) what direction the Magic will face. Sort of a follow-up question as it appears you have cruised there several times and are very knowledgeable, do you think a Cove Balcony would be as enjoyable as a Balcony on a higher deck?

2 hours ago, cellfree said:

So it appears (even though PVP suggested ships always dock one way) that it is definitely wait and see until we dock in Bermuda (not until 2022 - oh dear) what direction the Magic will face. Sort of a follow-up question as it appears you have cruised there several times and are very knowledgeable, do you think a Cove Balcony would be as enjoyable as a Balcony on a higher deck?

A cove balcony can actually be useful while at sea because the increased shelter it provides can cut down on the wind's effect on the balcony. While in port I prefer a normal balcony cabin. particularly in a high temperature location, because it allows for better air circulation...and a better possibility of a cooling breeze. 

Have cruised to Bermuda from Boston many times.  We prefer to go in September, but we have cruised in May, June, September and October.  I have only booked a balcony once and that was an early September sailing, and I only booked it because the price difference wasn't that much more.  I usually just book an inside for a Bermuda cruise, and if going in Oct., wouldn't.  But that's me.  On all other cruises in the Caribbean, we always book balconies.

• 3 weeks later...

If you definitely want a balcony, the Cove is a good choice in October.  The seas tend to be rougher that time of year heading from Norfolk.  We’ve always felt much less movement on lower decks and the Cove balconies provide that location.  

On 4/15/2021 at 11:54 AM, greatdanemom said:

If you definitely want a balcony, the Cove is a good choice in October.  The seas tend to be rougher that time of year heading from Norfolk.  We’ve always felt much less movement on lower decks and the Cove balconies provide that location.  

Much appreciated, had decided to give it a try so happy to read your positive response/experience. Choosing October as we wanted the six night cruise, realize probably not ideal “sailing” time. 

On 4/18/2021 at 1:47 PM, cellfree said:

Much appreciated, had decided to give it a try so happy to read your positive response/experience. Choosing October as we wanted the six night cruise, realize probably not ideal “sailing” time. 

Actually the seas can be smooth as glass when you go. We just never know during hurricane season. It’s a wonderful time of year to be in Bermuda, though. You’ll really enjoy this cruise. 

13 minutes ago, greatdanemom said:

Actually the seas can be smooth as glass when you go. We just never know during hurricane season. It’s a wonderful time of year to be in Bermuda, though. You’ll really enjoy this cruise. 

Thank you so much for your encouraging post, seems so far away, hopefully will be on another ship before then. Actually just off phone from rebooking an MSC cruise. And on and on we go. We are retired, love to cruise, a day at a time. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We've been to Bermuda 2x with one being an inside cruise and the other a balcony.  With that particular port, I feel like you have a good view either way... if you are facing the port, you can see the Dockyard and the National Museum.  If you are facing the other side, you have a nice view of the water and the the shoreline of another part of the island.

2 hours ago, BallofGoof said:

We've been to Bermuda 2x with one being an inside cruise and the other a balcony.  With that particular port, I feel like you have a good view either way... if you are facing the port, you can see the Dockyard and the National Museum.  If you are facing the other side, you have a nice view of the water and the the shoreline of another part of the island.

I have been to Bermuda over 15 times on a cruise. The only view at the Dockyard that I don't like from the ship is from the aft or bow facing the aft or bow of a ship at the other berth. The views from port or starboard are each nice in their own way. That is good because there is no way to know in advance which way a ship will be docked at the Dockyard.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2021 at 12:24 PM, Charles4515 said:

I have been to Bermuda over 15 times on a cruise. The only view at the Dockyard that I don't like from the ship is from the aft or bow facing the aft or bow of a ship at the other berth. The views from port or starboard are each nice in their own way. That is good because there is no way to know in advance which way a ship will be docked at the Dockyard.

We lucked out on last cruise with an aft balcony... had a view of the open ocean when we docked!