Picture-A-Week 2021 - Week 13

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, March 22 and Sunday, March 28.

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

Beautiful Friday autumn morning at Newport Lakes Park.

Very pretty little Australasian Grebe came down to pose for me. Then off in the distance, I saw an eastern long neck turtle sunning on a rock.

A-Grebe2.thumb.jpg.2e68c7f2331169c0d43a71e59e5a8d0e.jpg

a_grebe3.jpg.a089e26ad258ab17b7131751e58edbcf.jpg

A-Grebe1.thumb.jpg.f624b23203a3832f73467d4be8717a6f.jpg

1199272906_Turtlerock.thumb.jpg.44ed0039d7776118222b358cf26ee303.jpg

• Like 5

We had an outing Sunday to a place called Lerderderg Gorge, about 1 hour drive from Melbourne. Just on the outskirts of Bacchus Marsh. So, a bit of serenity, with Australian bush scenes (and the stepping stones of death, unsuitable for people like me).

80B7403F-6BF7-4193-812A-0343DEF517A6.thumb.jpeg.6d0c352de2798e0c2ab2593630a2e5fc.jpeg

FFA17D4B-4DE6-4F23-8917-94D90CF28614.thumb.jpeg.ebf8dcafbb59be90423069b48363ee21.jpeg

8466D2A9-EAE9-46E6-982F-B98DCE6B86F3.thumb.jpeg.71969a87cd88ff6eaccb0b8c3ca4ad9f.jpeg

2E77CA82-8EE9-4C7D-AED1-2CD012E691BE.thumb.jpeg.d1cfc9a9bcadf37673e2aca3dbff2fbd.jpeg

EEC2A5F2-EB84-4BF5-BB5A-0956448A951B.thumb.jpeg.b5a37cb076cb91995e8aeb51829647e8.jpeg

• Like 4

Lovely grebe, Docker.  More colorful than ours for sure.  We generally only get one regular grebe down here, the pied-billed.

Here's my weekend shoot out at the wetlands - slightly shorter day as it was brutally hot and I really hate the daylight savings hours (stays light far too late, so I can never shoot during the golden hour light anymore unless I stay until 8pm!).

Red-winged blackbird mom feeding one of her chicks with a freshly caught dragonfly:

original.jpg

And when mom is feeding another chick, cries of protest from the one not getting attention, or food:

original.jpg

Double-crested cormorant, very close up:

original.jpg

Pig frog:

original.jpg

Ducks in a tree, but not tree ducks!  These black-bellied whistling ducks decided to take a break from the water and nap up on this overhanging tree:

original.jpg

Dragonfly:

original.jpg

Green iguana on a downed limb:

original.jpg

• Like 6

Do It Yourself. DIY. Dee Eye Why? Why do people do it themselves? Well, a lot of money can be saved by doing it yourself or alternatively, significantly better materials can be used for the same money. Another benefit is that you can custom fit items to your spaces and apply any color or texture needed to match a décor theme. The main reason for me? It’s the feeling of accomplishment when I step back from a finished project and right there is an idea made real through my own sweat and effort. Granted, there are times when the end result isn’t as shiny as that picture in my head was or I spent more than expected when I measured twice, cut once and still screwed it up. Hopefully, the new bathroom vanity pictured here will be properly shiny when it is finished.

On Any Sunday

422632831_2021-13OnAnySunday.thumb.jpg.f1c30ef5745c0d6cd10138cd5ef3ad93.jpg

Dave

• Like 4

I made a return trip Sunday to check on the progress of the egrets nesting in Kraft Azalea Garden in Winter Park, FL. There are a lot more chicks squawking for food, and they are growing fast. It won't be much longer before some of the chicks will be getting flying lessons, and peace & quiet will return once again to the park.

1.jpg.36b91ee7e677dff72278c3f89db678c6.jpg

2.jpg.734702c099619ff05533841b6f3dcd08.jpg

3.jpg.1200da164ac16eeca7d38c6a5f84e72d.jpg

4.jpg.f4a69ee035c5470af3241539a2c0f510.jpg

5.jpg.e488cbce6fb32226375858f60622b186.jpg

• Like 6

@pierces My husband is in the process of making outside planter boxes and racks. His next project after that is a bookshelf for my SheShack to replace the too-deep, ancient TV stand. He loves to build things too and sometimes his results don't match his imagination.  I have the same results when I sew or craft.

16 hours ago, PurpleHays said:

@pierces My husband is in the process of making outside planter boxes and racks. His next project after that is a bookshelf for my SheShack to replace the too-deep, ancient TV stand. He loves to build things too and sometimes his results don't match his imagination.  I have the same results when I sew or craft.

One of my first jobs was in the '70s at Herb's Hardware in Chino, CA. It was a typical one-stop hardware store, mostly unchanged in ownership or policy since the '50s. You could buy a set of dishes, sheep shears, a mile of barbed wire and practically any size of nail or screw in existence all on the same receipt. Knowledge gained from talking to all kinds of craftsmen along with inspiration and some instruction from my Dad's DIY wood working, I have been doing one project or another seemingly forever. Our last major project was a kitchen remodel that took several off and on months to complete. It turned out pretty good (IMHO) and even using some really beautiful African Mahogany, adding a mixer lift and really nice soft-close hardware, building the cabinets from scratch cost literally 1/10th of what we were quoted from a cabinet shop for fairly standard oak cabinets. Some splinters were involved. And sweat. Maybe a cubic yard of sawdust.

DP700697-Pano-Edit-2.thumb.jpg.8471ed25a7e4d6c53d6bcb2d316de848.jpg

Can't wait for the next big project...or can I? 😉

Dave

Your kitchen is gorgeous, and I envy the size. We have the typical tract-built narrow-with-an-island kitchen. It's functional, but not outstanding. And never enough cabinet space. Are those metal tiles on the ceiling? And how do you like your stand mixer lift?

The ex and I had a house built with custom oak cabinets. The last time I saw it for sale, the owners had painted it all black. I couldn't believe it. It always appalls me when people cover good-wood with paint. 

We have an Ace/True Value hardware store nearby.(My) Dave tries to use it as much as he can since it's locally owned. He can get pharmacy, gardening, and tools. He spends a fortune on birdseed.

13 hours ago, PurpleHays said:

Your kitchen is gorgeous, and I envy the size. We have the typical tract-built narrow-with-an-island kitchen. It's functional, but not outstanding. And never enough cabinet space. Are those metal tiles on the ceiling? And how do you like your stand mixer lift?

The size isn't that amazing...wide angle panorama "Realtor picture". 🙂

The tiles are , believe it or not, foam. They weigh nothing and are a snap to glue up with a few dots of instant-stick glue like Loctite PowerGrab. They can even be used over "popcorn" ceilings without scraping.

The mixer lift was a nice-to-have for Wonderful Wife until she actually used it. It is now a fan favorite!

Dave

Edited by pierces

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...