What is your new expected return date to cruising?

SelectSys

When do you expect to take your first cruise?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. When do you expect to take your first cruise?

• Q1 2021 - for those who have already gone!
    • Q2 2021
    • Q3 2021
    • Q4 2021
    • Q1 2022
    • Q2 2022
    • Q3 2022
    • Q4 2022
    • Q1-Q2 2023
    • Q3-Q4 2023
    • 2024-2025+
    • never

This is an updated poll based on the progress, or lack thereof,  we have made with respect to the management of COVID.  What is your best guess of when you are going to return to the seas on a cruise ship.  Some may be happy with the coming limited options available now.  Others may want for a more "normal" cruise environment.  Others may have simply moved on to other forms of travel.

Please vote as the more votes are received the more interesting the results will be.

Mrs Bear and I normally take vacations in the fall - with Cunard not restarting until November [and remaining 2021 sailings are sold out] that pushed our cruise  to next October.

Hopefully by then, things will have settled down, looking more like 2019's version of 'normal'

P&O opened bookings for this June today (sailing round the UK); Cunard, Fred Olsen, Viking, MSC are also starting in the early summer- and although it's tempting, I'm more worried about getting to/from the port, using hotels and railway stations than actually being on board.

We've been lockdown for so long now, that I feel a bit like a wild animal being released into the wild...:classic_unsure:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SelectSys said:

This is an updated poll based on the progress, or lack thereof,  we have made with respect to the management of COVID.  What is your best guess of when you are going to return to the seas on a cruise ship.  Some may be happy with the coming limited options available now.  Others may want for a more "normal" cruise environment.  Others may have simply moved on to other forms of travel.

Please vote as the more votes are received the more interesting the results will be.

We will not cruise till after July 24,2023.We have not always enjoyed cruising.Our first cruise was in 1973.It was on a Cunard ship ,NY to Bermuda.Mrs.66 disliked it so much that we did not cruise again till 1994.

For that cruise we flew to San Juan and cruised the Caribbean on a Carnival ship.We did not enjoy the cruise and did not cruise again till 2008.

We loved that cruise and became cruiseaholics.However,we also enjoyed land trips.

15 hours ago, SelectSys said:

The TL,DR of this post is that my next scheduled cruise is in Q1 2022 and there's an increasingly slim chance I'll schedule another cruise before then.  The rest of this post is my summary of where we are, and where I think we're going to go:

• Currently cruises out of the U.S. are canceled through May.  June is on life support.
  • Cruises are starting in June from some unexpected ports (Nassau, Phillipsburg, Haifa).  I think we'll see a few more of them.  So far they don't interest me, but maybe something will come along to catch my eye.
  • The chance that I'll book something between now and next month is decreasing as the days go by
  • When cruising opens up from the U.S. depends on the CDC and some chick named Maxine
  • If the CDC acknowledges that the risk of severe disease among vaccinated passengers is very low, then they'll tear up the current order and put in some new conditions - starting with a vaccine requirement for everyone (except maybe not kids).  This is the simplest way to get sailing again, though maybe not the quickest to start.
  • With Maxine on board for passengers (but not crew), we can start sailing a few ships in Q3, with the rest of the survivors coming online in Q4 and Q1 of '22.
  • If we decide we need Maxine to help out the crew, then the startup is going to take considerably longer, barring a miraculous donation of doses from some benefactor(s).  Under those conditions, I'd expect a few (more) ships in Q4 and a more or less full resumption around Q3 '22.
  • World cruises and other very long cruises (my definition:  28 days or longer) for the first half of '22 still look to be in some danger.  They may go, but their choice of ports is likely to be limited.  Maxine could help limit the pain.
Edited by Honolulu Blue
  • Like 1

We remain booked for our Bermuda cruise in November and our two youngest sons have decided to join us. We also have a cruise booked for February 2022. I am fairly optimistic that the November cruise will happen and more optimistic for February. I have received my first round vaccine and DW is scheduled for Thursday.

• Like 1

We are ready we normally Russell twice a year and now haven’t cruised since February, I have gotten both shots better half is scheduled for her first tomorrow and we have a November and a February cruise booked believe both will sail, next cruise is # 70 I believe.

On 3/23/2021 at 12:09 PM, George C said:

we have a November and a February cruise booked believe both will sail

Where are these cruises scheduled to sail from and for how long?  It's interesting you have so much confidence in your November cruise.

On 3/22/2021 at 4:08 PM, SelectSys said:

I will return when it is all normal like it was.

With the uneducated CDC announcement of nothingness, I see cruise lines moving most of their fleet out of the US. The big question is whether they can get the infrastructure and supplies at other ports like Cozumel, Bahamas, Bermuda. The big ones are fuel, food, alcohol, and offloading garbage and waste. I am sure the island nations would love that extra income. They don't need massive terminals like the US. They just need facilities to process passengers. Make it a requirement to stay or meet at designated resort(s), process check-in there, load a shuttle to the gates for the ports.

They need to double finger salute the CDC. I could see cruising being lost from the US because of it. Cheaper to work with these other nations than the US.

29 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

They need to double finger salute the CDC. I could see cruising being lost from the US because of it. Cheaper to work with these other nations than the US.

I personally don't think the CDC cares if the cruise ships leave.  

COVID will have permanent impacts on the economic front.

To all: please continue to vote!

Edited by SelectSys

6 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

Yah, sure. With millions of avid cruisers located in the US -- a good number of whom do not travel with a passport by the way and/or who would have to factor in the additional expense of flights -- I imagine that whenever the CDC beckons their finger and says it's safe to sail, cruise lines will be right back. They'd be foolish, economically speaking, to do anything else.

By saying that, I don't mean to minimize the CDC stance. Cruising is not proven safe from a destination where infection rates are still high compared to many other places, and cruising is entirely non-essential.

The head person in the CDC under questioning by the Alaskan congresswoman stated that (paraphrasing) that it is NOT the CDC that is stopping cruising, but a joint decision from multiple departments. If that is the case AND the CDC is not the one doing it, rescind the No Sail Order and let the heads of the other Departments put a stop to it. The reason why? There are no other Departments that are stopping the cruise industry in the US. It is that simple.

5 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

The head person in the CDC under questioning by the Alaskan congresswoman stated that (paraphrasing) that it is NOT the CDC that is stopping cruising, but a joint decision from multiple departments. If that is the case AND the CDC is not the one doing it, rescind the No Sail Order and let the heads of the other Departments put a stop to it. The reason why? There are no other Departments that are stopping the cruise industry in the US. It is that simple.

I wish people would stop posting their own opinion as though it were fact.

Why in the world do you think the head CDC person would lie under direct questioning? What makes you so sure that other departments do not agree with the CDC's approach?  

My next cruise is April 2022.  Beside FLL embarkation it has no US ports and could be scheduled for a foreign departure though not likely.    Most of the ports of call are already open or experimenting with openings so within a year they should have a system in place.  I have no issue with the proposed restrictions for this itinerary.   Other itineraries are not on my radar until most restrictions are lifted.   Mine is to Europe and I like the Euro protocol for handling cases onboard which is to disembark the ill at a prearranged medical facility paid by the cruise line. 

7 hours ago, Mary229 said:

My next cruise is April 2022.  Beside FLL embarkation it has no US ports and could be scheduled for a foreign departure though not likely.    Most of the ports of call are already open or experimenting with openings so within a year they should have a system in place.  I have no issue with the proposed restrictions for this itinerary.

this sounds great!  How long ago did you book the cruise?

5 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

this sounds great!  How long ago did you book the cruise?

I started this pandemic with a single FCC for a Nov 2020 cruise, then applied it to a late summer 2021 European cruise then applied it to a cancelled 2021 Alaska cruise.  Since I work in the fall I finally applied it to the spring 2022. 

• Like 1